Fall Camp Thread

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
My thoughts as well, but another poster made a good point, after another week or so he wouldn’t even be running and getting reps in the system.

that was the crux of my point though, during the year if he is running all the scout teams at QB, it is amazing how much that helps even in our system....they are alot of reps, throwing, semi-live bullets...sure, he is not reading option plays...and that is the main piece, there are still a ton of things to take away.

Think of it this way, we recruit QBs all the time to GT that don't run our offense. Because there is enough in common to extrapolate. Especially with the typical NCAA/High school zone read O.....which is what he would do on scout alot.

for me, and I know I am being a stickler here, I just don't see it.

Look at it logically. Camp was our #3 WR. Ok. How many catches last year? So AT BEST, this kid earns #3 spot...AT BEST....LOL what impact are we delusional with?

Hell, I could see AB maybe. That may be better, but we are too deep there again...but WR no F Way.

for me this is just not what you do with a QB after 6 days of practice that could be taking over the whole deal in 2 years. Stick him at QB. Grow him for a year...see...and if he is not there and too good an athlete slide him to WR as a RS Fr, bigger, stronger and ready to go.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Guys like him split time btw both rooms. I don’t know his study habits, but I’m willing to bet he take learning the O more serious if was in the 2 deep instead as the 4th QB.

Only practice snaps he would get this season at QB would be the first 5 of practice working on the mesh and maybe a on bye week behind all 5 OL. If James can be our Ryan Tannehill for a season, then I’m all for it.
Hey, sorry to be a PITA, but I'd like to re-ask my question from the other day.

You said it would be Graham next year. Is that based on reputation/film, or is that what you're hearing from people in the know who have seen him practice?

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Does that mean he will play week 1 or will it take him a few weeks before he is ready? I really hope he is back for Clemson. Their front 4 on D is nasty. If Jahaziel is playing well at C, we could have a lineup of Bryan, Braun, Lee, Cooper, Marshall

My understanding is that he will he full go for practice at week 1, I suspect it will take a little more time to be game ready

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
that was the crux of my point though, during the year if he is running all the scout teams at QB, it is amazing how much that helps even in our system....they are alot of reps, throwing, semi-live bullets...sure, he is not reading option plays...and that is the main piece, there are still a ton of things to take away.

Think of it this way, we recruit QBs all the time to GT that don't run our offense. Because there is enough in common to extrapolate. Especially with the typical NCAA/High school zone read O.....which is what he would do on scout alot.

Look at it logically. Camp was our #3 WR. Ok. How many catches last year? So AT BEST, this kid earns #3 spot...AT BEST....LOL what impact are we delusional with?

Hell, I could see AB maybe. That may be better, but we are too deep there again...but WR no F Way.

for me this is just not what you do with a QB after 6 days of practice that could be taking over the whole deal in 2 years. Stick him at QB. Grow him for a year...see...and if he is not there and too good an athlete slide him to WR as a RS Fr, bigger, stronger and ready to go.

Who knows? Maybe he's looking too good at WR to pass up the chance to play him there. Maybe he can help us win games this year.

Old Chinese proverb: Bird in hand is worth two in the bush.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Who knows? Maybe he's looking too good at WR to pass up the chance to play him there. Maybe he can help us win games this year.

He’s only been at WR 1 day and CPJ laughed when asked how he was doing, and said it’s only been 1 day. So I doubt he was that good after 1 day.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

I see where you are coming from and it makes sense. Even learning the speed at the next level would help alothough it’s still not that same in practice. Hopefully he will be really good after the move back to QB and this doesn’t hurt him.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Love Curry’s comments on the new scheme with regards to backers. More complicated fits but he seems very pumped up on the change.

The Dline guys oddly seem, to me, a little less pumped. Surprising to me as their reads are supposed to be simpler and should free them up more.

It's interesting. My idea of the new defense was that it would make things simpler for the linebackers. The best way I can come up to reconcile that with Curry's comments is that he's being assigned a specific fit in the new defense on every play whereas in Roof's defense the gap assignments were usually covered by the DL. But that meant they would have to read what was going on during the play to find out where they were needed. One way of looking at it is freeing up the linebackers to make plays. Another way of looking at it is giving them too many things to focus on and screw up. I like the idea of people having very specific expectations of what their role is on a particular play with very few read keys. But I guess that leaves you with a lot more potential assignments to learn first.

I'm not sure the DL is less excited. Maybe just differences in personality. But for them it's usually either go left or go right. But that's compared to -- engage, cover both gaps, and try to shed a block when you're able to. Neither is complicated in expectation, but the technique to accomplish it is where the money's at. That is, of course, when they're not stunting or dropping into pass coverage. I'm not sure how much (if any) Woody will asked that from our DL.

Something intriguing to me was the comments about continuous ball pursuit regardless of where you are in the play. Ajani said they were gonna let someone know about it if they slacked off in that department. I love it. That's real accountability. It's not about getting chewed out when your lack of effort costs you. It's about reliable consequences for falling short of expectations regardless of outcome. A teammate comment is plenty effective at that if this is the culture we have.

On the downside, we better not wear ourselves out. We keep hearing about rotating players, and we have the athletes to (finally) do that, but against the HUNH offense who isn't subbing, we're at risk of getting gased. Our conditioning better be enough for everyone to at least last a whole series without drop off.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
He’s only been at WR 1 day and CPJ laughed when asked how he was doing, and said it’s only been 1 day. So I doubt he was that good after 1 day.

Well, he might be showing a lot of potential...presumably, Paul has a reason to try him there. I wouldn't read too much into that quote.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer

Sounds more of an indictment of the athletic ability of our current crop of WR, more specifically speed & acceleration on a route. Getting separation is a big problem, and being able to do so regularly makes defenses back their safeties off from run support even if you're not connecting on the deep routes.

But I also doubt they know Graham is any good as a receiver except that he has a kind of athleticism we are lacking at the position. Personally, the more I think about it, the more I like the move and would want to burn his shirt completely this year if he can contribute. Game time is necessary for most to acclimate to the level of play against live college competition, and better to get any freshman mistakes out of the way against Alcorn than against Clemson.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Anybody know who is wearing #4? I saw somebody wearing #4 throwing the football. Is it a walk on qb? Doesn’t show up on the app roster

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It's interesting. My idea of the new defense was that it would make things simpler for the linebackers. The best way I can come up to reconcile that with Curry's comments is that he's being assigned a specific fit in the new defense on every play whereas in Roof's defense the gap assignments were usually covered by the DL. But that meant they would have to read what was going on during the play to find out where they were needed. One way of looking at it is freeing up the linebackers to make plays. Another way of looking at it is giving them too many things to focus on and screw up. I like the idea of people having very specific expectations of what their role is on a particular play with very few read keys. But I guess that leaves you with a lot more potential assignments to learn first.

I'm not sure the DL is less excited. Maybe just differences in personality. But for them it's usually either go left or go right. But that's compared to -- engage, cover both gaps, and try to shed a block when you're able to. Neither is complicated in expectation, but the technique to accomplish it is where the money's at. That is, of course, when they're not stunting or dropping into pass coverage. I'm not sure how much (if any) Woody will asked that from our DL.

Something intriguing to me was the comments about continuous ball pursuit regardless of where you are in the play. Ajani said they were gonna let someone know about it if they slacked off in that department. I love it. That's real accountability. It's not about getting chewed out when your lack of effort costs you. It's about reliable consequences for falling short of expectations regardless of outcome. A teammate comment is plenty effective at that if this is the culture we have.

On the downside, we better not wear ourselves out. We keep hearing about rotating players, and we have the athletes to (finally) do that, but against the HUNH offense who isn't subbing, we're at risk of getting gased. Our conditioning better be enough for everyone to at least last a whole series without drop off.

I think Curry was talking about the difficulty of maintaining gap assignments against GT's O where the OL is quickly shifting etc.

I think (could be wrong) that the simplicity comes from not having many if this then that check down assignments.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
From RW.com: (yesterday)

Plays of the Day: After Georgia Tech’s defense had the upper-hand during 11-on-11 drills to close out Wednesday’s practice, the Yellow Jackets’ offense returned the favor on Thursday. Practicing red-zone situations, the offense scored on 6-of-6 possessions, often needing just one or two plays to find paydirt. Senior quarterback TaQuon Marshall accounted for two of the six touchdowns with a scoring run and a TD pass to senior wideout Brad Stewart. Redshirt freshman running back Jordan Mason was also responsible for two scores, displaying speed to beat defenders to the pylon on one touchdown run and displaying power to break a handful of tackles on his way to a second. Sophomore B-back Jerry Howard also had a touchdown run and sophomore quarterback Lucas Johnson connected with senior A-back Clinton Lynch for a scoring pass.

Like to see Mason (sans Ponchez) making plays, and I hope he is at AB. Could be the speed/power combo at AB that need to pair with OJ's apparent speed and receiving ability (from practice reports).

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
You know what’s really gonna suck for Clemson’s all world Dline?

Having to face our Oline twice this year. I hope Clemson is giving their trainers extra time to prepare for our O this offseason also.
I like the optimism but I highly doubt Clemson’s D line is worried about our O line lol

But who knows, maybe they will be sleeping on us and we punch them in the mouth. Wishful thinking.