Fall Camp Thread

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I like the optimism but I highly doubt Clemson’s D line is worried about our O line lol

But who knows, maybe they will be sleeping on us and we punch them in the mouth. Wishful thinking.

I think most DLs in the ACC worry about our OL. We may not win 'em all, but our OL is capable of being downright nasty to deal with, no matter the opposition. DLs hate to face us.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I think Curry was talking about the difficulty of maintaining gap assignments against GT's O where the OL is quickly shifting etc.

I think (could be wrong) that the simplicity comes from not having many if this then that check down assignments.

Interesting. I suppose when a lineman pulls around that takes one gap away and adds another, changing the fit for the linebacker. That puts Woody's and Patterson at TCU's comments in perspective in saying going against our O scheme prepares our guys better. They'll get used to reading their keys and doing so quickly because not only will we make them do so more often, our linemen are more agile in getting to their spot.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Well, he might be showing a lot of potential...presumably, Paul has a reason to try him there. I wouldn't read too much into that quote.
He has a reason to try him there because of his athletic ability and because of numbers. I was just saying I doubt he’s showed this amazing ability at WR after 1 practice. JMO, and I think that’s why CPJ was even saying.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Interesting. I suppose when a lineman pulls around that takes one gap away and adds another, changing the fit for the linebacker. That puts Woody's and Patterson at TCU's comments in perspective in saying going against our O scheme prepares our guys better. They'll get used to reading their keys and doing so quickly because not only will we make them do so more often, our linemen are more agile in getting to their spot.
Ya! I think Parker was really right about the iron/iron thing. Our O is schematically challenging for this type of D, and vice versa. The slants make the reads a lot easier but much faster on the QB -- the front declares their responsibility with their first step -- and the double teams at the point of attack can nullify some of the disruption. This puts some stress on the LBs reading, beating the second level OL to fit quickly. E.g. if the slant goes to the veer side, B Gap (BB) could be the play side MLB. If they don't react, it's a quick, big hit. One the flip side, if the OL missteps, the mesh can get crushed. We saw kinda punch-counter a lot from CU/VaPoly/dook.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Ya! I think Parker was really right about the iron/iron thing. Our O is schematically challenging for this type of D, and vice versa. The slants make the reads a lot easier but much faster on the QB -- the front declares their responsibility with their first step -- and the double teams at the point of attack can nullify some of the disruption. This puts some stress on the LBs reading, beating the second level OL to fit quickly. E.g. if the slant goes to the veer side, B Gap (BB) could be the play side MLB. If they don't react, it's a quick, big hit. One the flip side, if the OL missteps, the mesh can get crushed. We saw kinda punch-counter a lot from CU/VaPoly/dook.

He was also referring to prior Ds though. So...

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
What a nice “problem” to have re James Graham temporarily shifting to WR, of having the luxury to play him in four games this season without the redshirt being burned.

Chances are high that he won’t be needed against Alcorn State or Bowling Green, so – contrary to the conventional wisdom (that I agree with) that those two games would be fine to play most scout-team redshirts for a little mop-up duty – here’s hoping that Graham, with his potential, is not used in those two games. Let’s hope he isn’t needed against USF or Pitt.

If Graham’s raw ability can be exploited primarily for a package of plays, if Tech can defeat most opponents without him, then great – perhaps use Graham against Clemson and at least one other ACC opponent, maybe two (VPI and/or Miami). There being an assortment of ways the season could unfold, and depending if Graham is used in only two or as many as three games, then the end of the season might present a tough choice: Use him against Georgia, or skip the Georgia game (since it’s non-conf) and save him for the ACC title game and/or a bowl game.

Of course, there’s the hyper-realist approach, too: Tech’s shot at defeating Clemson or Georgia is small. Don’t “waste” Graham in those games. Use him against VPI, Miami, and in two other games from among Louisville, Duke, UNC, and Virginia. Maximize his value against beatable conference opponents in the regular season, but if he’s not available (without burning the redshirt) for the ACC title game and/or a bowl game, so be it. At least he helped get us there, and he’ll be eligible for four more seasons.

And finally: If Graham can contribute greatly as a WR, or even if he’s just “average” but is needed for more than four games, then fine, burn the redshirt; c’est la vie.

What the heck, I'll let CPJ decide. ;)
Burn the shirt as a wideout this year.

Next year redshirt him while he learns the qb role, play in mop ups. Be ready to compete in 2 years for starting qb role.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
From RW.com: (yesterday)

Plays of the Day: After Georgia Tech’s defense had the upper-hand during 11-on-11 drills to close out Wednesday’s practice, the Yellow Jackets’ offense returned the favor on Thursday. Practicing red-zone situations, the offense scored on 6-of-6 possessions, often needing just one or two plays to find paydirt. Senior quarterback TaQuon Marshall accounted for two of the six touchdowns with a scoring run and a TD pass to senior wideout Brad Stewart. Redshirt freshman running back Jordan Mason was also responsible for two scores, displaying speed to beat defenders to the pylon on one touchdown run and displaying power to break a handful of tackles on his way to a second. Sophomore B-back Jerry Howard also had a touchdown run and sophomore quarterback Lucas Johnson connected with senior A-back Clinton Lynch for a scoring pass.

Like to see Mason (sans Ponchez) making plays, and I hope he is at AB. Could be the speed/power combo at AB that need to pair with OJ's apparent speed and receiving ability (from practice reports).
Brad is gonna have a big year.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The OL - what are we looking at right now ? Ivenmeyer Braun Lee Bryan Marshall -across the front? Was really hoping Cooper would be ready but he won't. When he is back - probably game 3 then move Lee back to tackle. Hope Marshall is healthy and ready. Tackle play last year was lacking at times. Braun and Cooper had their moments of making it happen and Bryan was steady. Braun on the pulls and Cooper on sealing off linebackers. A bit worried about depth given the uncertainty around Marshall.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I like the optimism but I highly doubt Clemson’s D line is worried about our O line lol

But who knows, maybe they will be sleeping on us and we punch them in the mouth. Wishful thinking.

They definitely respect our Offense judging by the time the put into prepping for it. Worried about it, probably not so much after the past few years results.