Fall Camp Thread

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Random blitzes is not truly random but unpredictable by the OC. The DC calls for a blitz from the CB, or LB, or safety in a unpredictable manner is very hard on the O. Clemson tried the predictable CB blitz and CPJ burned them bad. If CPJ guess right on a blitz he can hurt you bad. If the DC guess right on a blitz and GT has 2nd and 15. Is this not the case for any other teams?

• I would blitz on average 1 out of 4 plays
  • Pinch/hold the OT
  • Hold the center
  • Teach shoulder facing to force the read but go opposite of my shoulder facing (hard to get the body to do this)
  • I would take the pitch man and force the QB inside because outside has no help and the QB gets hit more
  • Plus all the boards will disparage said QB for not pitching
  • I would recruit lord of the ring tree people as DTs and push the guard into the BBack or QB at the snap

majorQ9

Jolly Good Fellow
CPJ visited the band today and got the hard hitting questions

Attachments

• 1EF657F3-BBA5-42CB-B6DA-D45E5853383A.png
    1EF657F3-BBA5-42CB-B6DA-D45E5853383A.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 209

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
  • Pinch/hold the OT
  • Hold the center
I don't know if we do it, but I wish Tech would lobby the refs as hard on defensive holding as the opposition does on chop blocks. The rule changes this year about downfield cut blocking ought to make that an easier case to make: "Look, we're going by the rules on cut blocking. How about enforcing the rules on defensive holding? I mean they can push our OLs, but they shouldn't be allowed to tackle them!" Or something like that. Make it an equity issue.

Imho, the main reason that defenses at VT, especially, and Clemson have been effective against the O is that they hold out OLs so they can to stop second level blocks. I know this is hard for the refs to call, but these two teams are egregious at it and never get called. That has to stop.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if we do it, but I wish Tech would lobby the refs as hard on defensive holding as the opposition does on chop blocks. The rule changes this year about downfield cut blocking ought to make that an easier case to make: "Look, we're going by the rules on cut blocking. How about enforcing the rules on defensive holding? I mean they can push our OLs, but they shouldn't be allowed to tackle them!" Or something like that. Make it an equity issue.

Imho, the main reason that defenses at VT, especially, and Clemson have been effective against the O is that they hold out OLs so they can to stop second level blocks. I know this is hard for the refs to call, but these two teams are egregious at it and never get called. That has to stop.
Hopefully with the new uniforms it will be harder for guys to grab our jerseys.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

I think CPJ has said the following once, but I agree that it should become as much a talking-point from CPJ as the complaints of some: "Listen, everyone knows we cut-block on the line. Everyone knows that we try to get some of our linemen to the next level to block linebackers. Any coach that asks a DL to hold one an OL who is trying to get past him, while knowing that he will likely be cut, is setting up his own player for a dangerous chop." (or something like this)

GTdragons

Jolly Good Fellow
We're not even going to be tackled anymore. The Russell jersey material is what was limiting our athletic ability all these years.

I'm only being silly, but it's funny how people are really thinking this is true.

It’s not going to change the world but I don’t doubt it has a marginal effect. Our Russell uniforms were noticeably looser on top than other teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MidtownJacket

Staff member
It’s not going to change the world but I don’t doubt it has a marginal effect. Our Russell uniforms were noticeably looser on top than other teams.

Yeah the players have said they think it’ll make a difference as well. They specifically have called out the improvements in range of motion from the pants as well.

Milwaukee

Banned
Yeah the players have said they think it’ll make a difference as well. They specifically have called out the improvements in range of motion from the pants as well.

When I was a kid my mom would buy me a new pair of shoes and I'd swear up and down that I was faster in those new shoes. The players are liking the fit of the new unis, but they're not gonna be breaking tackles or jumping higher because of them I can assure you. I'm such a party pooper!