Fall Camp Thread

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Like the part above said, I hope the defense smokes the offense all fall. I'm not worried about the offense. It won't be any worse than "ok".

If we have a defense that can consistently smoke an ok offense, these are the good days.

I started to bring this up last year, but didn’t want it to turn into a Ted Roof bashing thread...

We tend to play a lot of aggressive defensive schemes (Clemson, VT, UM) in our schedule. I wonder if our camp does a poor job preparing the O for the aggressive schemes we see in our schedule. Through the season we play against the scout team, but I wonder if the game speeds sped up when we played styles that were contrary to Ted’s style of defense.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

If you zoom in on the guys, this is no longer an undersized team. I’d say we are probably average or a little above average in size (depending on position) this team also has speed to go with size.

On a side note Adams looks way slimmer, did anyone notice this at fan day? He has a ton of potential to be very good for us. He’s #90

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

If you zoom in on the guys, this is no longer an undersized team. I’d say we are probably average or a little above average in size (depending on position) this team also has speed to go with size.

On a side note Adams looks way slimmer, did anyone notice this at fan day? He has a ton of potential to be very good for us. He’s #90

Kyle on the other hand... (#54)

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Does it seem like we aren’t getting as many interviews as last year? They also showed videos for every practice as a report type thing if I’m not mistaken.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I started to bring this up last year, but didn’t want it to turn into a Ted Roof bashing thread...

We tend to play a lot of aggressive defensive schemes (Clemson, VT, UM) in our schedule. I wonder if our camp does a poor job preparing the O for the aggressive schemes we see in our schedule. Through the season we play against the scout team, but I wonder if the game speeds sped up when we played styles that were contrary to Ted’s style of defense.

If so, maybe our offense will be more prepared to deal with the big boy defenses this year. But OT's just gotta block, too. We have got to get better up front.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
otoh, I don't get any jollies from the curb-stomping the dregs on our schedule. Rather than beating Tulane or Alcorn State 65-10 with the first team playing into the 4th quarter, I would rather we pull the starters real early and let the 2nd and 3rd teamers get meaningful reps. Give me a 35 - 17 win with the starters sitting at the end of the first quarter anyday. A shellacking of a hapless foe gives us no insight (imo) on how well we will compete with top echelon teams we will play in and out of conference. I've seen those types of wins too many times, even during our poor to mediocre years.

Honestly, I want to see our 1st team O learn how to freaking bury a team when we have them on their heels through the early part of a game instead of playing it safe, so I say leave them in for longer than usual. If we had any clue how to close out a game we had the advantage in, we would have won 8-9 games minimum last year.
Even though the talent level is drastically different between Alcorn and our conference opponents, I want our team, from coaches on down to players, to have the attitude of never letting up.

Last edited:

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Honestly, I want to see our 1st team O learn how to freaking bury a team when we have them on their heels through the early part of a game instead of playing it safe, so I say leave them in for longer than usual. If we had any clue how to close out a game we had the advantage in, we would have won 8-9 games minimum last year.
Even though the talent level is drastically different between Alcorn and our conference opponents, I want our team, from coaches on down to players, to have the attitude of never letting up.

I don't view sitting the first teamers early as "playing the scrubs" nor "letting up". I see it as a way of developing meaningful depth. If the first team is in and we have a 40 point lead, I doubt Paul is going to run the entire playbook anyways as another poster noted. We are (and have been) fragile depth wise. I would like to get to the point that an injury to a single OL means "next man up" rather than a wholesale reshuffle of personnel across the entire unit.

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I have heard a lot about Graham and Lucas’s injury but little about Tobias’s peformance during the scrimmage other than 2 carries for 95 yards - which is not to shabby. Is he quick, ellusive or was it just D breakdowns? Any looks throwing the ball?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I have heard a lot about Graham and Lucas’s injury but little about Tobias’s peformance during the scrimmage other than 2 carries for 95 yards - which is not to shabby. Is he quick, ellusive or was it just D breakdowns? Any looks throwing the ball?

My take from the spring game on Tobias was that he is a really shifty runner, very good at manuevering through trash and finding a hole. His passing game did not look very good at all but it was hard to judge because he had zero time in the pocket due to pressure/poor pass protection.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I found that missing information as interesting as the information provided. The first team defense must have been doing well.

This is only the first scrimmage. The O will get better by the end of camp... unless the defense gets better too : ) and keep in mind the defense knows the plays and checks... but so did the last defensive scheme. That's inconceivable and I know were the iocane powder is because you just gave it away!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I don't view sitting the first teamers early as "playing the scrubs" nor "letting up". I see it as a way of developing meaningful depth. If the first team is in and we have a 40 point lead, I doubt Paul is going to run the entire playbook anyways as another poster noted. We are (and have been) fragile depth wise. I would like to get to the point that an injury to a single OL means "next man up" rather than a wholesale reshuffle of personnel across the entire unit.
When have we ever been up 40 points and not played the back ups? Actually, when have we ever been up 40 points?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
When have we ever been up 40 points and not played the back ups? Actually, when have we ever been up 40 points?

Tulane 2015, Alcorn state both times, NC state 2014, Elon 2013, Syracuse 2013. Vanderbilt 2014 ( close enough we would have been had we not started playing backups up 28) Alabama A&M 2013 Presbyterian 2012 Virginia 2012 ( i think if were weren't up by 40 we were close until we put in the backups) Western Carolina 2011 Middle Tenn 2011 Kansas 2011 SCar State 2010 Mid Tenn 2010 Duke 2009 Jax State 2008 Miss State 2008 ( close we put in backups up 30+)

The majority of the time we put in backups when we are up 30 so we don't get to up 40 but we have put up the numbers often when CPJ has been here. Really there is only one year (2009) where we did not have multiple games that we got up on people like that, which explains why wommack was fired after that season.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Regardless of the score, our 1st team guys need to get the reps too. So, it doesn't make sense to short the starters important reps just because we have a huge lead early. CPJ knows the minimum reps he wants the starters to get. Once he gets there, if the lead is insurmountable, the 2nds/3rds/4ths come in. 2nds usually get a fair amount of time in the beginning anyway.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Just talking about eyeball tests out of pads. I think we are continuing to improve but I don’t think many teams will run and hide from seeing us get off the bus.

Our LB 2 deep look the part, ditto the Bback group. Jalen Johnson in the secondary....looks beastly, ditto Camp at WR. Bryan and Braun on the Oline are studs. These guys are built stout. A lot of other guys on both lines have good frames but need more S&C.

That doesn’t mean some I didn’t mention aren’t ballers or can’t ball. Many do. They just don’t give you the wow factor out of pads. A lot on our Dline are either undersized or big but look a bit soft. Branch has a good solid build but he’s not huge so one might underestimate him when seeing him static rather than in motion.

Again this isn’t me hating. I think we continue to improve in size and athleticism. But when compared with other P5 programs I don’t think we look much better than most. And skill guys typically kill you with speed more than anything. Peter Warrick was nothing to look at until you saw him with the ball in his hands.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Regardless of the score, our 1st team guys need to get the reps too. So, it doesn't make sense to short the starters important reps just because we have a huge lead early. CPJ knows the minimum reps he wants the starters to get. Once he gets there, if the lead is insurmountable, the 2nds/3rds/4ths come in. 2nds usually get a fair amount of time in the beginning anyway.

I'm not sure how many leads are insurmountable right now. We've consistently shown the ability to blow 20+ point leads in the last ten years at an alarming rate. Just depends on how you define insurmountable, I guess. To me that number is 42 right now...

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer

WAR DADDIES!!!!!!!

This gets me pumped. We have been undersized and thin at DL for sooooooo long. Where’s the beef? D Effin Line!!!

That’s 8+ full grown men just that I can see in the pic.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
TK Chimedza looks ready to play.

Chris Martin is bigger than I thought and Kelton Dawson looks the part.

**** Brad Stewart has got some size on him.

Milwaukee

Banned

I don't think it was Ted's fault when it comes to this. These teams, and Duke, have started blitzing Paul's scheme from random areas at random times and it causes us fits. For the first few years nobody did this, they wanted to stay fundamentally sound and play their assignment. It's risk reward for them. I'd think we're simulating this with the scout team, but I'm not sure. If I'm an opposing DC I'm firing corners and backers constantly at us, since our passing isn't crisp and the correct blitz completely annihilates a lot of our flexbone plays.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Just talking about eyeball tests out of pads. I think we are continuing to improve but I don’t think many teams will run and hide from seeing us get off the bus.

Our LB 2 deep look the part, ditto the Bback group. Jalen Johnson in the secondary....looks beastly, ditto Camp at WR. Bryan and Braun on the Oline are studs. These guys are built stout. A lot of other guys on both lines have good frames but need more S&C.

That doesn’t mean some I didn’t mention aren’t ballers or can’t ball. Many do. They just don’t give you the wow factor out of pads. A lot on our Dline are either undersized or big but look a bit soft. Branch has a good solid build but he’s not huge so one might underestimate him when seeing him static rather than in motion.

Again this isn’t me hating. I think we continue to improve in size and athleticism. But when compared with other P5 programs I don’t think we look much better than most. And skill guys typically kill you with speed more than anything. Peter Warrick was nothing to look at until you saw him with the ball in his hands.
Agreed ! We should focus our attention more on athleticism , speed, agility , quickness and technique. We have had several big guys : TJ Barnes and Shamire immediately come to mind We also have had the weight room junkies that look awesome in the uniform , but have about as much agility and flexibility as I do ( and that ain't much). It's what happens when the whistle blows and they start moving , that you can be impressed, or not.