Fall Camp Thread

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Don’t forget about the other Thomas who is a freshman at stinger. CPJ also made mention of the grad transfer at FS and him knowing the system. If you look at our depth across the 4 LB’s or 3LB’s and a stinger (however you want to see it) we should be really really good. You have Swilling, and Cury rotating, Mitchell, and Jackson (freshman making noise) rotating, Henderson, and Alexander rotating, and then at stinger Johnson, Thomas, and now Campbell rotating.
I feel obligated to say that Ted Roof recruited pretty well on D the past few years.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Juanyeh could play LB with his size. Matter of fact there quit a lot of tweeners in the secondary.
Right now I’m thinking
JJ Stinger
FS Campbell
SS Carpenter
as starters
CNW likes to rotate so
Stovall
Juanyeh
Thomas
Oliver

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Juanyeh could play LB with his size. Matter of fact there quit a lot of tweeners in the secondary.
Right now I’m thinking
JJ Stinger
FS Campbell
SS Carpenter
as starters
CNW likes to rotate so
Stovall
Juanyeh
Thomas
Iirc Andy said wide side outside line backer in the old system.

I have mention that JT has a field ready upper body but IMO could look more the Austin twins from the chest down. When either of them went low and hit the rb , it looked like a car hit a stump.

Andy was so nervous when JT was playing in a h s all star basketball game while recovering from an ankle injury. JT really played at half speed except for a few times when he did the 6'2/3" impersonation of Lebron James driving to basket. Only guy on other team that could do anything about him is a d e football recruit for u c f.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like Tariq Carpenter has a lot of faith in our defense. It's one thing for fans to speculate that we'll be improved, but for players in the program to say we might "be one of the best defenses in the nation" is pretty huge. Part of running any system is having your players buy into your vision as a coach. Sounds like all of our players (both on offense and defense) have bought into our defense and think it'll make a big jump this season. I can't get too much more excited to see this defense play. I don't think I've ever said that as a GT fan.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

I get that CPJ keeps his cards close to his vest and I’m fine with that. He’s not going to name a 2 deep this early. Why would he? But the questions are the same day after day trying to get only that info apparently.

Here is what I want to know.

1. How much of the offense has been implemented?
2. How much of the D has been implemented?
3. Are both of the above on track to have near full implementation by the week of the first game?
4. How well is the option running with Oline assignments and QB reads?
5. How are TM’s reads progressing in the option and passing games from last year to now?
6. How many reps per game would you like to see the 2nd string OL get in each game ideally? How do you anticipate the answer to above likely playing out this year? How many OL do you expect to rotate in for significant reps?
7. TM said he’s seeing more corner blitzes from the D giving him different looks and things to account for. Is that to replicate things you may see from teams during the year or a result of the way CNW calls plays?
8. Has anyone begun to step up at NT to take a lead at that position?
9. From what you have seen from the D thus far do you anticipate creating more disruptive plays this year?
10. What are some things you see the O most needing to improve upon before game 1.
11. What does the D most need to improve upon?

Yeah I know none of these questions will magically make CPJ open up and tell all. But at least they are different questions which just might garner different responses for a change.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like Tariq Carpenter has a lot of faith in our defense. It's one thing for fans to speculate that we'll be improved, but for players in the program to say we might "be one of the best defenses in the nation" is pretty huge. Part of running any system is having your players buy into your vision as a coach. Sounds like all of our players (both on offense and defense) have bought into our defense and think it'll make a big jump this season. I can't get too much more excited to see this defense play. I don't think I've ever said that as a GT fan.

Yeah, I'm stoked too. As long as we don't go backwards in points allowed, this change has me pumped. It'll be fun to watch, first of all. Beyond that, getting more turnovers, negative plays, and off the field quicker are actually really big outcomes even if points/game is unchanged. The defense has a chance to help our offense now. And we already know the pressure other teams feel going against us. Magnifying that is going to be fun.

Techsportsfan

Georgia Tech Fan
I get that CPJ keeps his cards close to his vest and I’m fine with that. He’s not going to name a 2 deep this early. Why would he? But the questions are the same day after day trying to get only that info apparently.

Here is what I want to know.

1. How much of the offense has been implemented?
2. How much of the D has been implemented?
3. Are both of the above on track to have near full implementation by the week of the first game?
4. How well is the option running with Oline assignments and QB reads?
5. How are TM’s reads progressing in the option and passing games from last year to now?
6. How many reps per game would you like to see the 2nd string OL get in each game ideally? How do you anticipate the answer to above likely playing out this year? How many OL do you expect to rotate in for significant reps?
7. TM said he’s seeing more corner blitzes from the D giving him different looks and things to account for. Is that to replicate things you may see from teams during the year or a result of the way CNW calls plays?
8. Has anyone begun to step up at NT to take a lead at that position?
9. From what you have seen from the D thus far do you anticipate creating more disruptive plays this year?
10. What are some things you see the O most needing to improve upon before game 1.
11. What does the D most need to improve upon?

Yeah I know none of these questions will magically make CPJ open up and tell all. But at least they are different questions which just might garner different responses for a change.
Thank you. These questions hit the nail on the head. I don't know why they continually ask the same questions as if the answers are going to change. Don't blame CPJ for losing his patience with it at times.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck

I'd be careful. I remember Reggie Ball saying after the Auburn game (the second game of the season when he was a freshman) that we weren't going to lose again.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I was very encouraged by Glanton's interview. He appears to have lost that anxiety he showed at the first of camp when he discussed his spring. He's just what we need at DE in the new D, imho, and it was great to hear him show such confidence. I look for good things from him as his career goes on in the new D.

Glanton along with Merriweather, Owens, and Dawson along with the starters gives us 3 deep at DE and the NT is already three deep with Henderson, Martin, and Adams. Best depth shape on the DL we have been in a while. We also have athletic depth at the DBs but not much game experience. We have some athletes at the OLBs but maybe not as deep or experienced there (thus Campbell doing some work there). All in all the D is looking good.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I'm stoked too. As long as we don't go backwards in points allowed, this change has me pumped. It'll be fun to watch, first of all. Beyond that, getting more turnovers, negative plays, and off the field quicker are actually really big outcomes even if points/game is unchanged. The defense has a chance to help our offense now. And we already know the pressure other teams feel going against us. Magnifying that is going to be fun.

I'm with you. The improvement in defense will be manifested on the offensive scoreboard more than in points allowed, by virtue of more time of possession (no bend-but-don't-break), and more turnovers. Absolutely right and I can't wait for toe to meet leather.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I was very encouraged by Glanton's interview. He appears to have lost that anxiety he showed at the first of camp when he discussed his spring. He's just what we need at DE in the new D, imho, and it was great to hear him show such confidence. I look for good things from him as his career goes on in the new D.
Did anyone else know that Glanton started the final ten games of last year and led our interior lineman in tackles? I would consider myself an avid fan of GT football, and I was unaware of that fact.