Fall Camp Thread

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
CPJ was miserable today in that press meeting. My guess is that the offense had a miserable day which is what he lives and dies off of. I bet our defense got after them hard. He sounded like he sounds after playing a great defense and getting shut down ("How can we have so many missed assignments? It's ridiculous. Etc"). I love it. Get 'em Nate!! Make him want to retire because it's so miserable practicing against our own defense! Maybe we won't hear that kind of crap during the season.

Maybe, but I love the idea. CPJ does seem ornery when discussing CNW & the defense.,

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
6381356E-D82D-4D15-99BB-06FA3FFB2E3B.jpeg
LJ at Fan Day with the rest of the QB’s.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Photos from scrimmage

http://ramblinwreck.com/photo-gallery-gtfallcamp18-practice-no-9/

Scrimmage Notes:

• The Yellow Jackets’ offense and defense battled for 18 series.
  • The offense scored four times (two touchdowns and two field goals):
    • Touchdowns
      • 54-yard pass from TaQuon Marshall to Qua Searcy (drive: two plays, 70 yards)
      • one-yard run by Jordan Mason (drive: 18 plays, 70 yards)
    • Field goals
      • Shawn Davis – 47 yards
      • Brenton King – 45 yards
  • The offense also missed a field goal and was stopped on the one yard line on the final series of the scrimmage.
  • The defense recorded seven three-and-outs.
  • Redshirt freshman quarterback Tobias Oliver had runs of 39 and 56 yards.
  • Senior defensive lineman Desmond Branch had three sacks.

I wonder how many 3 and outs were due to the penalties? I sure hope the defense is the real deal! The option and a defense... deadly.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Photos from scrimmage

http://ramblinwreck.com/photo-gallery-gtfallcamp18-practice-no-9/

Scrimmage Notes:

• The Yellow Jackets’ offense and defense battled for 18 series.
  • The offense scored four times (two touchdowns and two field goals):
    • Touchdowns
      • 54-yard pass from TaQuon Marshall to Qua Searcy (drive: two plays, 70 yards)
      • one-yard run by Jordan Mason (drive: 18 plays, 70 yards)
    • Field goals
      • Shawn Davis – 47 yards
      • Brenton King – 45 yards
  • The offense also missed a field goal and was stopped on the one yard line on the final series of the scrimmage.
  • The defense recorded seven three-and-outs.
  • Redshirt freshman quarterback Tobias Oliver had runs of 39 and 56 yards.
  • Senior defensive lineman Desmond Branch had three sacks.

I wonder how many 3 and outs were due to the penalties? I sure hope the defense is the real deal! The option and a defense... deadly.

Hard to know what to make of things when you're playing yourself, but that result is dominant on the defensive side. If that translates to how we play other teams, things are gonna be insanely fun to watch this year. I want to get (back?) to curb-stomping teams we are better than. The offense has good years and bad years relatively speaking, and has been shut down by a few opponents, but I'm never worried on the whole about our ability to be productive there most of the time. If we somehow take a sizeable step back in that side of the ball, it will be inexplicable. Certainly penalties is one way to shoot ourselves in the foot, but we're usually good at cleaning that up by game time.

Good to see some longer field goals cashed in, though I'm curious who and what distance accounted for the miss. But FG concerns me less than kickoffs/coverage.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
CPJ said the penalties weren't from false starts, if I remember the post scrimmage video correctly. Which means it's likely holding penalties on the offense. Combine that with 3 sacks from Branch and I'd say that the defense is getting some massive disruptive penetration.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I want to get (back?) to curb-stomping teams we are better than.

otoh, I don't get any jollies from the curb-stomping the dregs on our schedule. Rather than beating Tulane or Alcorn State 65-10 with the first team playing into the 4th quarter, I would rather we pull the starters real early and let the 2nd and 3rd teamers get meaningful reps. Give me a 35 - 17 win with the starters sitting at the end of the first quarter anyday. A shellacking of a hapless foe gives us no insight (imo) on how well we will compete with top echelon teams we will play in and out of conference. I've seen those types of wins too many times, even during our poor to mediocre years.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
otoh, I don't get any jollies from the curb-stomping the dregs on our schedule. Rather than beating Tulane or Alcorn State 65-10 with the first team playing into the 4th quarter, I would rather we pull the starters real early and let the 2nd and 3rd teamers get meaningful reps. Give me a 35 - 17 win with the starters sitting at the end of the first quarter anyday. A shellacking of a hapless foe gives us no insight (imo) on how well we will compete with top echelon teams we will play in and out of conference. I've seen those types of wins too many times, even during our poor to mediocre years.

Exactly. With more reps for 2nd team means we can go two deep against a Clemson rather than needing to play 1st team the whole game and running them ragged

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This time of year the D should dominate the O. A lot less synchronicity is required on D.
Why are late game reps not meaningful for the 2-deep? Every rep helps them get better and, more importantly, expand the playbook. As we should know by now, the deeper we can go into the playbook, the harder it is to defend us and the more we can keep the D off balance, especially the really good D's. I'd much rather have a deep playbook for our 2-deep roster than "meaningful reps" for the scrubs.

In a perfect world, I'd like both.

Our O is dependent on full speed precision timing and spacing and supreme confidence in where to go and where your teammates are on the field at any moment. It takes a multitude of live game reps to achieve and that is what early games against lesser opponents is for. I want a finely tuned precision instrument rolling into the meat of our schedule.

Last edited:

YJMD

Helluva Engineer

I was referring to e.g. UNC, Virgina. Not the cupcakes. And not saying we are definitely better than those teams, but if we are, I want us to really put those games away. Agree with the Alcorns of the world. While there are no gimmies, neither does embarrassing them translate into performance against teams at our athletic level.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Keep in mind that the defense probably knows the offensive calls and checks. This likely gives them an advantage during a scrimmage. Even if they know the call they have to beat the blocks, so this is good news for our D.

I wonder if CPJ requests specific calls/looks from the D or if Nate just calls the D like he would in a game vs CPJ.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Keep in mind that the defense probably knows the offensive calls and checks. This likely gives them an advantage during a scrimmage. Even if they know the call they have to beat the blocks, so this is good news for our D.

I wonder if CPJ requests specific calls/looks from the D or if Nate just calls the D like he would in a game vs CPJ.
I’m sure Nate is just calling his plays. You might see CPJ ask for looks when we move to scout teams.