ESPN: Georgia Tech restoring football program to former glory

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You might ask some Auburn fans how good a DC they think Roof was. They did NOT think much of him. I personally think Woody would have been great, but we will never know.
What we know is he left Auburn. But the question that puzzles me more than anything -- not whether he could recruit QBs, running backs or whether he was just too tough minded for some fans -- is why in 10 years he never built a defense. A good defense and his offense would have been formidable for anybody. He always seemed to make sure the defensive people got the recruits they wanted. It just baffles me. I am open to opinions.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Continuation...

Really I hope this discussion is just family in-fighting. I feared during the CPJ years that some of his detractors on this board were also folks who helped spread false and/or hurtful narratives to those outside the community. That created headwinds for the program.

Similarly I hope that those who are raising contrary opinions here, while within their rights, will keep it here so that CGC and our program benefit from as much public support as possible.

I was good with Calvin Johnson being a product of CPJ's option offense (media comments, not CPJ). I'm also good with GT being top 10 when CGC was growing up.

In a relative sense there are far worse false and damaging narratives being pushed in the world that CGC's comments thus far didn't give me more than 5 seconds of pause until this thread ballooned to what it is.

It's the same argument. Those "raising contrary opinions here" are still raising contrary opinions to the fake news used to put down GT over the last 11 years and its staff.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
He never stood up and said "that one is on me" "i could have coached better" it was always the defenses fault, or special teams fault, and to his defense...when he said it it was true. But as the HC you have to fall on the sword.
When my little league team loses do you see me calling out kids in front of the media? No, i call them out individually, and then fall on the sword when it comes to media, and parents.
Bottom line we have been the talk of CFB all off season, and with CPJ that doesn't happen, and never happened in his tenure....even after winning an orange bowl.
CPJ did say he was the Head Coach and said ultimately he was responsible. Maybe not every time but he did say it.
Not sure where you live but I'm surprised that the media would be worried about a little league team. I liked CPJ and I still thought it was time to move on. Is CGC the right coach I hope so but time will tell. It's just a question of how much time. And just like CPJ I will support him until he goes.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Just an opinion.
  • CGC understands the reality of what he inherited.
  • CGC understands the perception of what he inherited.
Pause.
  • CGC is fighting the perception battle, not the reality battle.

Could CGC fudging reality come back to bite him on the recruiting trail? Possibly.

Do I think CGC's comments warrant this much discussion and consternation? Absolutely not.
The cgc nit picking is self revealing.

Deddrick mills has made the rb first team for Nebraska. Think he shares it

With his issues coming in ( brother, weed, etc) would anyone like to nit pick if the roomate assignment took that background into account? .

Should roomate been a team captian , of same race , have overcome certian life issues, be loading up classes to graduates early.

As an anolog
For every construction accident their are 10 near hits and 100 safetey alerts. Alerts are routinely shared to prevent near misses, nesr misses are investigated by in place management, and accidents are investigated by senior managemet a professional investigators.

I believe cpj did the right thing on Deddrick when he got the news. The non introspective will say nothing could help ,we gave warnings... The haters could use the room mate issue as a hammer you should have done more.. .

I say we assume the best was meant when cgc talks and we dont relitigare cpj .

Yes cgc talks a lot.
Yes, cpj assumed people were doing thier jobs.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Continuation...

Really I hope this discussion is just family in-fighting. I feared during the CPJ years that some of his detractors on this board were also folks who helped spread false and/or hurtful narratives to those outside the community. That created headwinds for the program.

Similarly I hope that those who are raising contrary opinions here, while within their rights, will keep it here so that CGC and our program benefit from as much public support as possible.

I was good with Calvin Johnson being a product of CPJ's option offense (media comments, not CPJ). I'm also good with GT being top 10 when CGC was growing up.

In a relative sense there are far worse false and damaging narratives being pushed in the world that CGC's comments thus far didn't give me more than 5 seconds of pause until this thread ballooned to what it is.

Paul Johnson and his fanboys justifying poor performance by badmouthing Georgia Tech and it’s history does far more damage to our recruiting than fans wanting more.

Johnson called us a historically mediocre program who shouldn’t expect more than mediocrity and all the supposed fans on this board shook their heads in agreement. That is a false and damaging narrative.

Thank goodness we have a coach who celebrates our school and aims for greatness.

Paul Johnson and his fanboys justifying poor performance by badmouthing Georgia Tech and it’s history does far more damage to our recruiting than fans wanting more.

Johnson called us a historically mediocre program who shouldn’t expect more than mediocrity and all the supposed fans on this board shook their heads in agreement. That is a false and damaging narrative.

Thank goodness we have a coach who celebrates our school and aims for greatness.
Dave Braine-dead said that, but I sure don't remember ever hearing CPJ say it. Where are you getting that?

The cgc nit picking is self revealing.

Deddrick mills has made the rb first team for Nebraska. Think he shares it

With his issues coming in ( brother, weed, etc) would anyone like to nit pick if the roomate assignment took that background into account? .

Should roomate been a team captian , of same race , have overcome certian life issues, be loading up classes to graduates early.

As an anolog
For every construction accident their are 10 near hits and 100 safetey alerts. Alerts are routinely shared to prevent near misses, nesr misses are investigated by in place management, and accidents are investigated by senior managemet a professional investigators.

I believe cpj did the right thing on Deddrick when he got the news. The non introspective will say nothing could help ,we gave warnings... The haters could use the room mate issue as a hammer you should have done more.. .

I say we assume the best was meant when cgc talks and we dont relitigare cpj .

Yes cgc talks a lot.
Yes, cpj assumed people were doing thier jobs.

It wasn't CPJ's decision to cut Mills; it was an athletic department policy. He had no say-so in the matter. That policy has since changed, and, in fact, had changed before last season.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Dave Braine-dead said that, but I sure don't remember ever hearing CPJ say it. Where are you getting that?

He said as much in his retirement presser when he was defending his record. I think he may have alluded to it other times.

I dont want to condemn him or defend him, personally. Hope we can get it out of our systems by Thursday. This board is the only group of GT fans I have come across who haven't moved on.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
You know what's sad? non-fans still wanting to live in the past. Without fail, the PJ crowd always resorts to getting personally insulted when PJ's shortcomings are mentioned and you're textbook of this above.

Here's a deal for you: You keep your mouth shut about what I do and don't get to post. I don't apologize that I'm glad we're moving in a new direction, away from the stagnation and malaise that had settled over the program during the end of PJ's tenure. I don't apologize for being excited about the direction of our program. Why don't you take your PJ worship over to the Hive?
Gee, you can't reply to anything without moving the goalposts, can you?

I don't feel "personally insulted" at all. I didn't ask you to not be enthusiastic about our program; I am too. What I asked you is that you stop denigrating the last 11 years and see what happens. But, as usual, you did exactly what you've been doing here for months: using any thread about Coach to blame some fans for not being supportive of Coach because they don't agree with you about Paul. As I just said, the two aren't connected. It is perfectly possible to be enthusiastic about Coach and not be all hot to diss Paul.

Well, the offer stands: be as enthusiastic about Coach as you want, don't tie that to dissing Paul, and see what happens. If you did, you'd be surprised. But, as this last post shows, you won't.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Got a cite or a vid? I'd really be interested in you do. We're all waiting.

He said as much in his retirement presser when he was defending his record. I think he may have alluded to it other times.

I dont want to condemn him or defend him, personally. Hope we can get it out of our systems by Thursday. This board is the only group of GT fans I have come across who haven't moved on.
I certainly didn't take his comments in that presser that way, and I doubt he meant them that way either. He LOVED Ga Tech and gave us all he had; why would ANY coach settle for mediocrity? I know CPJ wouldn't and didn't, in spite of the random mediocre seasons.

KCJackets

Jolly Good Fellow

Yep. This board is pretty much only good for the recruiting forum these days. Too many folks feeling slighted and derailing threads.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

I just listened to Paul's entire retirement presser, all 44 or so minutes of it. I did that because I had listened to it before and I didn't remember anything that even vaguely hints that Tech was a mediocre program or that he had had a mediocre career.

I was right. I'd advise listening again yourself, then telling us what you meant.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yeah...just look at how successful Alabama is academically, with the "front porch" their athletic program provides:

https://www.ua.edu/news/2018/11/ua-breaks-records-reaching-almost-100-million-in-sponsored-funding/

...and then compare that to the paltry sum Georgia Tech's program brings in:

http://www.rh.gatech.edu/news/625131/research-sponsored-activity-awards-top-1-billion-georgia-tech

Yup, the Hill really is missing the big picture, isn't it? We really need a front porch like 'Bama's, if we want to be a successful academic research institution.

Follow the money. GT is a research institution with a side of education. For a recent student send off booklet on the finaancial aspects fo GT, I looked at all of last year's numbers and most of the money is in research. Not in undergrad or althetics. The grad and post grad programs greatly support the research aspect.

Research and education are more important to the well being of our species than the entertainment of CFB. :sick: But I like CFB a lot and hope we do everything well. That will make me a lot happier. I think someone is working on that.;)

LibertyTurns

Banned
Research and education are more important to the well being of our species than the entertainment of CFB. :sick: But I like CFB a lot and hope we do everything well. That will make me a lot happier. I think someone is working on that.;)
There’s a lot of technology that’s spawned off of war & sports much to some’s dismay. GT should be a leader in sports research & technological development, analytical techniques, etc. The fact that we’re not is troubling. It should be one of the critical edges we provide players that make them want to come here and one of our primary recruiting tools- having the best, latest cutting edge technologies driving improvements in human performance at the extremes of our capabilities.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I just listened to Paul's entire retirement presser, all 44 or so minutes of it. I did that because I had listened to it before and I didn't remember anything that even vaguely hints that Tech was a mediocre program or that he had had a mediocre career.

I was right. I'd advise listening again yourself, then telling us what you meant.

I knew I would regret wading into this thread. My recollection is that he got a bit defensive when asked about his legacy. He pointed out how he was above average by recent GT standards. He didnt explicitly say we were "mediocre" but I can see how some would interpret it that way. But, here is the deal: I don't care what he meant by it. I wasn't even mad about it. I wont listen to it again, thanks.