ESPN: Georgia Tech restoring football program to former glory

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
I am 100% behind CGC, just as I was 100% behind CJP. The main reason CPJ never got 4-sarts to transfer in was because none of them would have fit in CPJ's offense, or didn't want to play in it. CPJ's major shortcoming IMO was never having a good D, because of a string of lousy DC's. Had he had a good DC with a good D, we MIGHT have seen some defensive transfers, or, more likely, solid defensive recruits. It would seem to me that YOU are the one with an agenda. IF, and I obviously hope this does not happen, CGC falls flat on his face, what will you say then?
I wouldn't say Coach Woody was a terrible defensive coordinator. There are very few coaches can turn around a defense in one season.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I am 100% behind CGC, just as I was 100% behind CJP. The main reason CPJ never got 4-sarts to transfer in was because none of them would have fit in CPJ's offense, or didn't want to play in it. CPJ's major shortcoming IMO was never having a good D, because of a string of lousy DC's. Had he had a good DC with a good D, we MIGHT have seen some defensive transfers, or, more likely, solid defensive recruits. It would seem to me that YOU are the one with an agenda. IF, and I obviously hope this does not happen, CGC falls flat on his face, what will you say then?

How is stating facts an agenda? If CGC fails, I'll continue to support the program by getting behind the next guy, rather than throw shade at his efforts, as a small handful of 'fans' continue to try to do to Coach Collins. I supported PJ in 2008 and sure as heck never had a "Gailey agenda" :eek:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Yeah! How dare they get the idea that a universities primary purpose is education and not sports!!!!
Please provide revenue breakdown

Aren't Athletics and undergrad a small part of in comparision to Research and grad students (free labor for professors reasearch projects).??
If Reaserach $$ was removed w o.j uld that impact fhe Hill.
Lets say state bid out the operation of research to a technical company ( my pipeline egr company bid to operate the Strategic petroleum reserve- and lost to BOEING). I can tell u the top guy is watching the top revenue stream. Some how all departments are increasing in financial strength except athletics.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Yeah...just look at how successful Alabama is academically, with the "front porch" their athletic program provides:

https://www.ua.edu/news/2018/11/ua-breaks-records-reaching-almost-100-million-in-sponsored-funding/

...and then compare that to the paltry sum Georgia Tech's program brings in:

http://www.rh.gatech.edu/news/625131/research-sponsored-activity-awards-top-1-billion-georgia-tech

Yup, the Hill really is missing the big picture, isn't it? We really need a front porch like 'Bama's, if we want to be a successful academic research institution.

I don’t think that’s a complete picture. I poll my students at Auburn and in a class of 60 ... maybe 10 are from Alabama. Most are from GA, FL, and Texas. Bama is similar.

Why? Out of state tuition. Both institutions use the football program to sell the university to out of state students for the cash. It’s working. Football, basketball and baseball are sold out this year. So are 2 women’s sports.

And they need to. Both universities have operations in every county of the state. Tech doesn’t have the same requirements. Totally different missions.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
When I think of "Tech's former glory", I think of the 1950's. Since then we've had a reminiscence or two or three of those halcyon days, the latest being in 2014.

Hope the current regime, with help from our AD, the fans, and improved financial support, can bring them back again.

It feels like something is happening here, but Rome wasn't built in a day. We'll have to have some patience.

In the decade prior to Saban’s, Bama’s win rate was 59%. Roughly the same as Tech’s. It takes leadership to make big changes ... but we beat ourselves too much.

How is stating facts an agenda? If CGC fails, I'll continue to support the program by getting behind the next guy, rather than throw shade at his efforts, as a small handful of 'fans' continue to try to do to Coach Collins. I supported PJ in 2008 and sure as heck never had a "Gailey agenda" :eek:
And yet it certainly seems that you have a "CPJ agenda". Like I said, I was 100% behind CPJ, and I am also 100% behind CGC. It would SEEM, based on what you have posted, that you did not remain 100% behind CPJ, 2008 notwithstanding.

panther42

Jolly Good Fellow
And yet it certainly seems that you have a "CPJ agenda". Like I said, I was 100% behind CPJ, and I am also 100% behind CGC. It would SEEM, based on what you have posted, that you did not remain 100% behind CPJ, 2008 notwithstanding.
hard to stay behind a coach that posts losing seasons 2 out of the last 4 years. CPJ had his peaks and valleys like any coach at Tech will, and he also had his quirks, which is one of the things that made him so loved by the Tech fan base. However....the valleys of 15 and 17 combined with his lack of accountability made even the most loyal fans jump ship.

hard to stay behind a coach that posts losing seasons 2 out of the last 4 years. CPJ had his peaks and valleys like any coach at Tech will, and he also had his quirks, which is one of the things that made him so loved by the Tech fan base. However....the valleys of 15 and 17 combined with his lack of accountability made even the most loyal fans jump ship.
I'm not sure what you mean by a "lack of accountability". He may have complained about the O-line not performing well, or various other general performance issues, but he certainly never threw a player under the bus like O'Leary did.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Paul Finebaum presented a case that the ideal tenure in the modern game is 10 years. Fans itch for a change, even if they are successful. So make sure there’s a succession plan ...

We are a To 50 STEM school in the world playing D1 ball. Caltech isn’t. MIT isn’t. Tech is. CPJ is gone. Time to ask “What changes can we make to be more competitive? Maybe Top 20?” I think we’re doing that.

panther42

Jolly Good Fellow
Paul Finebaum presented a case that the ideal tenure in the modern game is 10 years. Fans itch for a change, even if they are successful. So make sure there’s a succession plan ...

We are a To 50 STEM school in the world playing D1 ball. Caltech isn’t. MIT isn’t. Tech is. CPJ is gone. Time to ask “What changes can we make to be more competitive? Maybe Top 20?” I think we’re doing that.
I fully believe that we are trending in the right direction, at least from a "lets make Tech relevant again" standpoint. Hell even in CPJ's good years we were an afterthought to the national media, and always presented as running a gimmick offense.

panther42

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm not sure what you mean by a "lack of accountability". He may have complained about the O-line not performing well, or various other general performance issues, but he certainly never threw a player under the bus like O'Leary did.
He never stood up and said "that one is on me" "i could have coached better" it was always the defenses fault, or special teams fault, and to his defense...when he said it it was true. But as the HC you have to fall on the sword.
When my little league team loses do you see me calling out kids in front of the media? No, i call them out individually, and then fall on the sword when it comes to media, and parents.
Bottom line we have been the talk of CFB all off season, and with CPJ that doesn't happen, and never happened in his tenure....even after winning an orange bowl.

He never stood up and said "that one is on me" "i could have coached better" it was always the defenses fault, or special teams fault, and to his defense...when he said it it was true. But as the HC you have to fall on the sword.
When my little league team loses do you see me calling out kids in front of the media? No, i call them out individually, and then fall on the sword when it comes to media, and parents.
Bottom line we have been the talk of CFB all off season, and with CPJ that doesn't happen, and never happened in his tenure....even after winning an orange bowl.
I think he accepted the blame more often than you are willing to realize.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck

I was definitely ready for a change, as were most fans it seems, given the amount of $$$ now coming into the program and the increase in season tickets and overall interest.

I have no agenda for any coach. They're all being paid millions and will be fine regardless of how they do, PJ included. My "agenda", is more about GT football and wanting to win rather than a specific coach. I know, I know - crazy talk.

I was definitely ready for a change, as were most fans it seems, given the amount of $$$ now coming into the program and the increase in season tickets and overall interest.

I have no agenda for any coach. They're all being paid millions and will be fine regardless of how they do, PJ included. My "agenda", is more about GT football and wanting to win rather than a specific coach. I know, I know - crazy talk.
As much as I LOVED CPJ AND his offense, I too thought a change was probably best. I more or less even expected it after the USF game last year. He took the classy way out and retired, and I respect him for doing that.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think that’s a complete picture. I poll my students at Auburn and in a class of 60 ... maybe 10 are from Alabama. Most are from GA, FL, and Texas. Bama is similar.

Why? Out of state tuition. Both institutions use the football program to sell the university to out of state students for the cash. It’s working. Football, basketball and baseball are sold out this year. So are 2 women’s sports.

And they need to. Both universities have operations in every county of the state. Tech doesn’t have the same requirements. Totally different missions.

That's exactly my point, I think. There is this paradigm that says a successful athletic program is an essential component of a university, to serve as a "front porch", attracting attention and generating buzz that makes the academic mission of the school more successful. I am suggesting that Georgia Tech does not fit into that paradigm—and more importantly, that the academic leadership of Tech (i.e. "The Hill") knows it. There's a reason why technology firms are relocating to Midtown, and its not because there is a football field across the highway.

Remember, I'm countering an argument that the Hill would see a benefit to the Institute as a whole if they relaxed APR expectations, admitted more athletic exceptions, and cleared the way for our athletic program to be more competitive. Does our FB program actually need to be better, in order to be more successful as an institute of higher education and a hub for academic research? I don't think so. We could become a perennial top-10 football program, and it would have only generate a modest blip in our enrollment, our research endowment, or our private-sector collaborations.

That being said, of course I really do want to see our football program be more successful, and to be that top-10 team. I'm just not holding my breath for the Hill to jump on board the bandwagon.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

I think 10 years is good for the paid mouthpiece for SEC and Saban. So how long has Finebaum been doing this?

Last edited: