ESPN: Georgia Tech restoring football program to former glory

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
So making stuff up to make yourself look good is okay in your book. :rolleyes:
Keep drinking the koolaid.
Just checking something here with the mods, if Animal02 keeps calling me a koolaid drinker what can I call him? Or should we have a contest to come up with the best description?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Does this mean you're Piggy?

Wow.. thirty posts later and like 1.3 miles of typing passed and I finally get to respond that my ***-mar does not infact suck.

One or more of the others here must be out of breath though with all the hyperventilating about an espn spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@RickStromFan click on the link and read the list of achievements from the last 4 coaches.

No 10 years are the same when it comes to football with many influencing factors. Integration (Very important progress) is a big dividing line in sports. Another big dividing line is APR that really hit big in 2008. For those that are scratching heads on the term APR... it means you must be progressing to a degree in order to be eligible to play. No more taking all the easy classes just to stay full time in college.

2008 APR is a really big issue for GT. GT is not designed to graduate the masses in any degree. Where do you hide great athletic talent that wants nothing more than a shot at the NFL. Stanford is not GT. How many Clemson/Georgia players would be ineligible after 2 semesters at GT?

That said, hype works until you get slobber knockered. Perhaps CPJ was too “white hat” and not enough “gray hat” to say things he does not believe, did not help students slide by, and perhaps not “gray” enough to “play” the students a little better. I don’t think we hired a “black hat” person willing to do whatever it takes to win. Perhaps a gray hat is what we need to win more without selling out to The devil (Water Boy movie)

This makes me sad for GT football. Todd gives me hope as money can really help. As for the rest, I’ll let the past and future record speak for itself. Coolaid only works in the off season.
Welcome back. Been missing your posts here. Glad to know you are alive and well :)

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Our APR is likely to take a bit of a hit trying balance this. You can’t have it both ways. But they don’t hand out trophies for APR and you don’t get recognition for that.
I just went over this with Chuck Oliver. (No, I don't listen to him, but my son left that station on when he drove my car.)

We had better hope that you are wrong about the APR. It was the ability to keep our APR at its present level that convinced The Hill to allow more exemptions for admitting athletes. Without those exemptions we would have a very difficult time getting many of our players into school. It was an all-out effort by Paul to convince The Hill that the program could graduate its players that got us what we have now. If we start to show that the football program can't get athletes through school, then they'll backtrack on the exemptions. And don't be deceived: they are quite capable of doing that. Past experience indicates that Coach and TStan and the fans won't have much juice when it comes to Tech's academic standards.

Now, it is true that nobody (well … except the NCAA) takes APR seriously at the factories. The Hill takes it dead serious, however, and that's what counts. I'm sure the new staff is quite aware of this and won't allow much, if any, backsliding.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
That list of achievements is a bit skewed though. Ross didn't play as many games/year and inherited the worst team of any of the listed coaches...and won a natty 3 years later. He's - by far - the best coach we've had in the past 40 years.

Regardless, like others here, I don't get why a few "fans" continue to throw shade at Coach Collins in their continued support of the departed PJ. It's obvious there are a few people who are bigger PJ/TO fans than they are of the school. Which is sad.
You know what's sad? It's having people who vehemently opposed Paul's regime show up here, crow about how bad things were and how they are on the right track now (and that's what you've been doing), then interpret any response as dissing Coach and the new staff.

The two are completely unconnected. Here's a deal for you. You keep your mouth shut about how bad Paul's years were (and if you look at the posts above, you'll see that you really should), push Coach, and see how many people don't back Coach in his endeavors for Tech and bring up Paul's years to refute you.

But … I know that's too much for you. You are who you are, you expect what you get, and it makes your day. Why is the main question.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
But when he is selling the program, he is selling Atlanta and the NFL. Education only as a component. At least publicly. The NFL and Atlanta gets the recruits attention, the education sell comes after.
I don't see that, but perhaps that's because I don't believe the hype is actually convincing young men to come to Tech. Now, if you had said that Coach was pushing Atlanta and the NFL to get their attention, I would agree. But, shoot, ads for the US Army get my attention, but I'm not going to sign up.

GT14

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't believe the hype is actually convincing young men to come to Tech.

I mean, believe what you want, but the hype is working. Look at the talent of the committed kids, the recruits we were able to pull in at the last minute of the last class, and the transfers. Many things about Coach Collins are question marks. That he and the hype he brings are convincing young men to come to Tech are not one of them.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I just went over this with Chuck Oliver. (No, I don't listen to him, but my son left that station on when he drove my car.)

We had better hope that you are wrong about the APR. It was the ability to keep our APR at its present level that convinced The Hill to allow more exemptions for admitting athletes. Without those exemptions we would have a very difficult time getting many of our players into school. It was an all-out effort by Paul to convince The Hill that the program could graduate its players that got us what we have now. If we start to show that the football program can't get athletes through school, then they'll backtrack on the exemptions. And don't be deceived: they are quite capable of doing that. Past experience indicates that Coach and TStan and the fans won't have much juice when it comes to Tech's academic standards.

Now, it is true that nobody (well … except the NCAA) takes APR seriously at the factories. The Hill takes it dead serious, however, and that's what counts. I'm sure the new staff is quite aware of this and won't allow much, if any, backsliding.

Way past time for the Hill to be taught a lesson. Maybe start with stop stealing taxpayers $, start teaching, and start being more thankful of all the good things that happen at a university with a great athletic program.

Ingrate tarps.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Way past time for the Hill to be taught a lesson. Maybe start with stop stealing taxpayers $, start teaching, and start being more thankful of all the good things that happen at a university with a great athletic program.

Ingrate tarps.

Yeah! How dare they get the idea that a universities primary purpose is education and not sports!!!!

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Just an opinion.
  • CGC understands the reality of what he inherited.
  • CGC understands the perception of what he inherited.
Pause.
  • CGC is fighting the perception battle, not the reality battle.

Could CGC fudging reality come back to bite him on the recruiting trail? Possibly.

Do I think CGC's comments warrant this much discussion and consternation? Absolutely not.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Continuation...

Really I hope this discussion is just family in-fighting. I feared during the CPJ years that some of his detractors on this board were also folks who helped spread false and/or hurtful narratives to those outside the community. That created headwinds for the program.

Similarly I hope that those who are raising contrary opinions here, while within their rights, will keep it here so that CGC and our program benefit from as much public support as possible.

I was good with Calvin Johnson being a product of CPJ's option offense (media comments, not CPJ). I'm also good with GT being top 10 when CGC was growing up.

In a relative sense there are far worse false and damaging narratives being pushed in the world that CGC's comments thus far didn't give me more than 5 seconds of pause until this thread ballooned to what it is.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer

Ingrate tarps.
Yeah...just look at how successful Alabama is academically, with the "front porch" their athletic program provides:

https://www.ua.edu/news/2018/11/ua-breaks-records-reaching-almost-100-million-in-sponsored-funding/

...and then compare that to the paltry sum Georgia Tech's program brings in:

http://www.rh.gatech.edu/news/625131/research-sponsored-activity-awards-top-1-billion-georgia-tech

Yup, the Hill really is missing the big picture, isn't it? We really need a front porch like 'Bama's, if we want to be a successful academic research institution.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
You know what's sad? It's having people who vehemently opposed Paul's regime show up here, crow about how bad things were and how they are on the right track now (and that's what you've been doing), then interpret any response as dissing Coach and the new staff.

The two are completely unconnected. Here's a deal for you. You keep your mouth shut about how bad Paul's years were (and if you look at the posts above, you'll see that you really should), push Coach, and see how many people don't back Coach in his endeavors for Tech and bring up Paul's years to refute you.

But … I know that's too much for you. You are who you are, you expect what you get, and it makes your day. Why is the main question.

You know what's sad? non-fans still wanting to live in the past. Without fail, the PJ crowd always resorts to getting personally insulted when PJ's shortcomings are mentioned and you're textbook of this above.

Here's a deal for you: You keep your mouth shut about what I do and don't get to post. I don't apologize that I'm glad we're moving in a new direction, away from the stagnation and malaise that had settled over the program during the end of PJ's tenure. I don't apologize for being excited about the direction of our program. Why don't you take your PJ worship over to the Hive?

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I mean, believe what you want, but the hype is working. Look at the talent of the committed kids, the recruits we were able to pull in at the last minute of the last class, and the transfers. Many things about Coach Collins are question marks. That he and the hype he brings are convincing young men to come to Tech are not one of them.

It's bizarre how the immediate progress in drawing kids here is ignored in continued defense of the previous coach who never got 4-stars to transfer from P5 schools like Florida and Notre Dame to the Flats. Agendas are strong - kool aid is stronger, I guess.

Oh well. These bitter Bettys don't take away from Coach Collins' progress.

It's bizarre how the immediate progress in drawing kids here is ignored in continued defense of the previous coach who never got 4-stars to transfer from P5 schools like Florida and Notre Dame to the Flats. Agendas are strong - kool aid is stronger, I guess.

Oh well. These bitter Bettys don't take away from Coach Collins' progress.
I am 100% behind CGC, just as I was 100% behind CJP. The main reason CPJ never got 4-sarts to transfer in was because none of them would have fit in CPJ's offense, or didn't want to play in it. CPJ's major shortcoming IMO was never having a good D, because of a string of lousy DC's. Had he had a good DC with a good D, we MIGHT have seen some defensive transfers, or, more likely, solid defensive recruits. It would seem to me that YOU are the one with an agenda. IF, and I obviously hope this does not happen, CGC falls flat on his face, what will you say then?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Continuation...

Really I hope this discussion is just family in-fighting. I feared during the CPJ years that some of his detractors on this board were also folks who helped spread false and/or hurtful narratives to those outside the community. That created headwinds for the program.

Similarly I hope that those who are raising contrary opinions here, while within their rights, will keep it here so that CGC and our program benefit from as much public support as possible.

I was good with Calvin Johnson being a product of CPJ's option offense (media comments, not CPJ). I'm also good with GT being top 10 when CGC was growing up.

In a relative sense there are far worse false and damaging narratives being pushed in the world that CGC's comments thus far didn't give me more than 5 seconds of pause until this thread ballooned to what it is.

School 'em, Cuse.

The "misconceptions" in this recent interview were fine but I hope none-a these GT "fans" start spreading false nonsense we've had to deal with the past few years. Because I most certainly was not good with "Bwah, Georgia Tech's defense cut blocks on every play!"

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
When I think of "Tech's former glory", I think of the 1950's. Since then we've had a reminiscence or two or three of those halcyon days, the latest being in 2014.

Hope the current regime, with help from our AD, the fans, and improved financial support, can bring them back again.

It feels like something is happening here, but Rome wasn't built in a day. We'll have to have some patience.