ESPN: Georgia Tech restoring football program to former glory

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I just listened to Paul's entire retirement presser, all 44 or so minutes of it. I did that because I had listened to it before and I didn't remember anything that even vaguely hints that Tech was a mediocre program or that he had had a mediocre career.

I was right. I'd advise listening again yourself, then telling us what you meant.

Clearly CPJ was wrong about our history. We were a top 10 team every year in the 70's and 80's. Those of us who watched those games are wrong. Those not born then know better cause CGC says so.

When we read Orwell's 1984, it was a distopia. Some today see it as rebellion against the common good.

Clearly CPJ was wrong about our history. We were a top 10 team every year in the 70's and 80's. Those of us who watched those games are wrong. Those not born then know better cause CGC says so.

When we read Orwell's 1984, it was a distopia. Some today see it as rebellion against the common good.
I am assuming that was sarcasm, because we were certainly not a top 10 team in the 70s and 80s. Did someone say that we were?

Beerbrewingjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Regarding the defense. After 4 DC’s (none successful) I am fully in the camp that practicing against the triple option in spring and fall camp hurt the defense. They were not adequately prepared to handle traditional offense and without the reps they couldn’t get properly prepared. During the season they practiced and got looks from the scout team on the offenses they would face but that’s not enough reps. CGC’s high energy high rep practices have taught me this.

Double edged sword. Potentially great offense but a defense that can’t get prepared due to the advantages that a nontraditional offense provides. Unfortunately in the last 4 years the offenses negative impact on the defense outweighed the advantages that the offense provided.

We had statistically bad defenses. A good offense a bad defense and we have had records that indicate up and down wins as those units tried to level out.

buzzmaniac

Georgia Tech Fan
I am assuming that was sarcasm, because we were certainly not a top 10 team in the 70s and 80s. Did someone say that we were?
Yep, last time I checked, we've finished in the top 10 exactly 4 times since 1960 (only 3 times in both polls)...1966, 1990, 1998, and 2014. Also, I think the final '66 poll was taken before the Orange Bowl loss to FL

Last edited:

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Regarding the defense. After 4 DC’s (none successful) I am fully in the camp that practicing against the triple option in spring and fall camp hurt the defense. They were not adequately prepared to handle traditional offense and without the reps they couldn’t get properly prepared. During the season they practiced and got looks from the scout team on the offenses they would face but that’s not enough reps. CGC’s high energy high rep practices have taught me this.

Double edged sword. Potentially great offense but a defense that can’t get prepared due to the advantages that a nontraditional offense provides. Unfortunately in the last 4 years the offenses negative impact on the defense outweighed the advantages that the offense provided.

We had statistically bad defenses. A good offense a bad defense and we have had records that indicate up and down wins as those units tried to level out.
ST play was not good either. I held my breath every time we kicked off.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Throw Chan out of the discussion. CPJ vs GOL is a much more interesting comparison...that is, if we are just hell bent on rehashing this stuff for eternity.

Yeah. Let's not compare those two. You might like the football records of the GOL years but CPJ was a man of integrity whereas GOL was a lying POS who was found by a court of law negligent in the death of a player at UCF. His history with player safety at GT wasn't pretty either.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
@iceeater1969 how many teams won above 7.5 games a year over the last 10 years?

Only VT did better at 8.8/year wins on our side. We tie with Miami followed by UNC and Pitt at 7 with V and Duke at 5.6 and 4.6 respectively.

It really is crazy how many teams fans expect their team to consistently win 8+ games per year. There are very few programs that have done that over a decent stretch.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Yeah. Let's not compare those two. You might like the football records of the GOL years but CPJ was a man of integrity whereas GOL was a lying POS who was found by a court of law negligent in the death of a player at UCF. His history with player safety at GT wasn't pretty either.

Wins n' losses was all I meant. No need to open yet another can of worms.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
@iceeater1969 how many teams won above 7.5 games a year over the last 10 years?

Only VT did better at 8.8/year wins on our side. We tie with Miami followed by UNC and Pitt at 7 with V and Duke at 5.6 and 4.6 respectively.

Doesn’t matter....we started losing to Duke and that is THE measuring stick for the program now. If CGC is smart and wants to keep his job I hope he spent at least 2 weeks in the preseason and fall practice prepping solely for Duke.

beerbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
giphy.gif

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
The difference is that CPJ won multiple division crowns and one ACC crown, plus beat the mutts 3 times, and went to the Orange Bowl for the first time since 1966. Get it now?
Yes he was able to score enough to manage his bad defenses better that Gailey was able to deal with his poor offense. But that doesn’t change the point. When people talk about his teams having poor defenses like it was some magic occurrence that kept him from having more success it was his fault just as much as good offenses were to his credit. Do you get it.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@ncjacket79 You make a good point... but yet your typing style makes me want to refute the statement.. to beat a dead horse...

Yes, CPJ owns the outcome of his defenses. Yes CPJ did not get the support Clemson’s coach received... he was given a bottom of the barrel budget.

CPJ did better than average in the NCAA, better than most in the ACC, in a school that does not support football, with higher APR standards with no where to hide athletes at a stem school, with little selection in degree, with last in the ACC budget, with a dysfunctional athletic director, with a students first mentality, no propaganda, do right first attitude (no protecting stars from consequences), no blue or gray shirting, allowing 4 year scholarships if you work hard, all that and Russel gear to boot.

He came to GT after setting records at three different schools... taking each school to new heights. If anyone got the “shaft” by Tech, it was CPJ. It was not CPJ who almost killed the program... that last AD will have my bitterness for many years to come. The

Oh and I do think practicing against the option hurt the defense. I think... don’t know.

LibertyTurns

Banned
CGC has won less games than almost any other GT coach in our Institute’s history. He’s tied with Tenuta and McKee. He needs to get hot. That being said he is tied with Mac McWhorter with zero losses.