ESPN: Georgia Tech restoring football program to former glory

Animal02

Banned
There’s a lot of technology that’s spawned off of war & sports much to some’s dismay. GT should be a leader in sports research & technological development, analytical techniques, etc. The fact that we’re not is troubling. It should be one of the critical edges we provide players that make them want to come here and one of our primary recruiting tools- having the best, latest cutting edge technologies driving improvements in human performance at the extremes of our capabilities.
You really think "having cutting edge technology" will away 18 y.o recruits? I think it is the lazy rivers, high non geeky coed ratio and party reputation. ;)

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Paul Johnson and his fanboys justifying poor performance by badmouthing Georgia Tech and it’s history does far more damage to our recruiting than fans wanting more.

Johnson called us a historically mediocre program who shouldn’t expect more than mediocrity and all the supposed fans on this board shook their heads in agreement. That is a false and damaging narrative.

Thank goodness we have a coach who celebrates our school and aims for greatness.

At least you admitted your narrative was false. Confused why you chose to make it anyway. ;)

Animal02

Banned
Fair enough. And Tech is not organized to generate lots and lots of dollars. No real booster organization. No grass roots organization. No statewide presence.

Still, Tennessee has lots and lots of money. And was still a dumpster fire. There’s no substitute for vision.
You can have "vision" and still be a bad coach ;)

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Gee, you can't reply to anything without moving the goalposts, can you?

I don't feel "personally insulted" at all. I didn't ask you to not be enthusiastic about our program; I am too. What I asked you is that you stop denigrating the last 11 years and see what happens. But, as usual, you did exactly what you've been doing here for months: using any thread about Coach to blame some fans for not being supportive of Coach because they don't agree with you about Paul. As I just said, the two aren't connected. It is perfectly possible to be enthusiastic about Coach and not be all hot to diss Paul.

Well, the offer stands: be as enthusiastic about Coach as you want, don't tie that to dissing Paul, and see what happens. If you did, you'd be surprised. But, as this last post shows, you won't.

point to where I "denigrated the last 11 years". It's these types of over-the-top exaggerations that hurt your credibility and make you appear to be offended. And there are absolutely a few fans in this forum who are NOT enthusiastic about Coach Collins, which is fine btw but to pretend otherwise is naive.

no one's moving any goal posts and no one is denigrating the entirety of the last 11 years. Stop seeking offense where none is to be found.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I certainly didn't take his comments in that presser that way, and I doubt he meant them that way either. He LOVED Ga Tech and gave us all he had; why would ANY coach settle for mediocrity? I know CPJ wouldn't and didn't, in spite of the random mediocre seasons.
Pre-first-season quote: “I’m not here to set reasonable expectations; my job is to have high expectations.” PJ didn’t always live up to those expectations, for sure.

Unfortunately, we’ll never know how much of our collective disappointment was due to sub-optimal coaching, how much was due to Johnson’s offensive system, how much was due to AD incompetence, how much was due to inadequate financial support from fans, and how much was due to our own “fans” vocally spouting the talking point of our opponents who routinely negative-recruited against us. All these factors are inextricably convoluted and there is no way to objectively differentiate which was most detrimental. If you believe you know otherwise, you are simply making things up to support your personal narrative.

That being said, let me make one thing clear: if anyone here thinks that PJ was not trying his best to make the program a success, or that he was settling for mediocrity, I will urge you to come see me at the next home game. I will find a nearby porta-john for you to dunk your head in. Sure, it will permanently contaminate the porta-john, but it will be a cleansing experience for you.

LibertyTurns

Banned
You really think "having cutting edge technology" will away 18 y.o recruits? I think it is the lazy rivers, high non geeky coed ratio and party reputation. ;)
Yes. You optimize their training with specialized equipment & workout regimens coupled with nutritional support to improve their personal capabilities. Then you have personalized equipment like cleats for footing & speed based on grass type/conditions to enhance agility, balance & speed, reduce injuries, etc; lightweight padding, helmet technology to better vision, reduce effects of impact, etc.

Nike’s got a research lab near Portland. Atlanta’s home to major Pro Sports, the best college team in America coupled with world renowned Engineers, etc and we got squat. Athletes should be flocking here & GT should be the center of the sports research universe for everything except for curling, ski jumping & slalom.

Animal02

Banned
Yes. You optimize their training with specialized equipment & workout regimens coupled with nutritional support to improve their personal capabilities. Then you have personalized equipment like cleats for footing & speed based on grass type/conditions to enhance agility, balance & speed, reduce injuries, etc; lightweight padding, helmet technology to better vision, reduce effects of impact, etc.

Nike’s got a research lab near Portland. Atlanta’s home to major Pro Sports, the best college team in America coupled with world renowned Engineers, etc and we got squat. Athletes should be flocking here & GT should be the center of the sports research universe for everything except for curling, ski jumping & slalom.
Disagree.....the vast majority of athletes are not the geeky engineering types. They will flock to the parties and hot chicks.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I am 100% behind CGC, just as I was 100% behind CJP. The main reason CPJ never got 4-sarts to transfer in was because none of them would have fit in CPJ's offense, or didn't want to play in it. CPJ's major shortcoming IMO was never having a good D, because of a string of lousy DC's. Had he had a good DC with a good D, we MIGHT have seen some defensive transfers, or, more likely, solid defensive recruits. It would seem to me that YOU are the one with an agenda. IF, and I obviously hope this does not happen, CGC falls flat on his face, what will you say then?
I follow what you’re saying I think but isn’t this an indictment of CPJ?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Hell, no !!! Do you think that CPJ is the only man who ever coached college football who couldn't get the assistants he wanted/needed?

That certainly played a part in why the D wasn’t more successful but it’s hard to argue we shouldn’t have been better than we were on D at least some of the time.

I think there were a multitude of reasons. But the primary responsibility was still Paul’s.

But the resources available to him certainly handicapped his overall results. And if the handicaps remain it will do the same to CGC.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Fair enough. And Tech is not organized to generate lots and lots of dollars. No real booster organization. No grass roots organization. No statewide presence.

Still, Tennessee has lots and lots of money. And was still a dumpster fire. There’s no substitute for vision.
All gt grads get good jobs and do well. They get prompted and seldom are impacted by downsize. Then most plateau while a few get to the thick carpet. Tech guys from end to end are well off in corporate america. Too many didn't walk away and get into private business. Those of us that did made good $ and finished well. Many of my business buddis got canned and then found ground floor opportunities that grew into real money.
Classic was a agricultural engineer i used as pipeline engr but had to layoff. Took his severance started and grew lawn service. Then traded half to get part of flippong house which they grew and joined w money people to write hig risk mortgages. He is rich.

Gt grads under achieve at getting past being well off.

I like Paul and love the option (was in school in the late 79’s) but he took the job and didn’t figure out how to have a decent defense for whatever the reason was. Kind of like Chan couldn’t figure out how to het a decent OC/QB coach or develop a QB. I don’t see a difference
The difference is that CPJ won multiple division crowns and one ACC crown, plus beat the mutts 3 times, and went to the Orange Bowl for the first time since 1966. Get it now?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Throw Chan out of the discussion. CPJ vs GOL is a much more interesting comparison...that is, if we are just hell bent on rehashing this stuff for eternity.