ESPN article

LibertyTurns

Banned
Do you know anything about Bobby Dodd?
Is there anyone that doesn’t agree that the abilities & capabilities of successive generations has diminished? It appears that way to me. We’ve systematically eroded levels of responsibilities & eliminated consequences for bad decisions in our youth and it has damaged our country. You see it everywhere. Laziness, no work ethic, bad choices, no desire to educate themselves so they can be successful. No personal drive or determination just expecting someone else is going to give them what they want. These kids have no role models demanding they hold high standards in life and administering discipline when needed & communities don’t either hence there’s no connection between their actions and what they’ve earned.

I understand those that are clinging to the Nanny State with everything they have, but it’s high time we stop giving them all a trophy, lowering standards so people can pass, and making excuses for why our younger generations are the way they are. We’ve made them that way. Hey just keep giving them things and maybe they’ll be compliant little underachievers. I didn’t raise my children that way so they’ll be just fine, but there’s tens of millions wandering around aimlessly and it’s really sad as a nation we’ve let it come to this.

End of my rant. GT’s new football leadership is going to do it their way. I hope it works because I’m not going to go find another team to root for.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Is there anyone that doesn’t agree that the abilities & capabilities of successive generations has diminished? It appears that way to me. We’ve systematically eroded levels of responsibilities & eliminated consequences for bad decisions in our youth and it has damaged our country. You see it everywhere. Laziness, no work ethic, bad choices, no desire to educate themselves so they can be successful. No personal drive or determination just expecting someone else is going to give them what they want. These kids have no role models demanding they hold high standards in life and administering discipline when needed & communities don’t either hence there’s no connection between their actions and what they’ve earned.

I understand those that are clinging to the Nanny State with everything they have, but it’s high time we stop giving them all a trophy, lowering standards so people can pass, and making excuses for why our younger generations are the way they are. We’ve made them that way. Hey just keep giving them things and maybe they’ll be compliant little underachievers. I didn’t raise my children that way so they’ll be just fine, but there’s tens of millions wandering around aimlessly and it’s really sad as a nation we’ve let it come to this.

End of my rant. GT’s new football leadership is going to do it their way. I hope it works because I’m not going to go find another team to root for.
I get your angst but also think it’s overblown. Sure there are kids whose parents have done everything for them and gotten them out of every tough situation they have gotten into. But that’s got little to do with Tech football. I don’t see any evidence that these players aren’t expected to work for what they get or will be handed anything they don’t earn.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Liberty, political philosophy aside, almost none of what you articulate is true. I am glad your children will be peachy because of your foresight, but guess what? Those millions you dismiss will be, as past generations have been, just fine. I want to believe I was a better athlete than my sons and young grandchildren, and that I was smarter, more committed, more disciplined, more ambitious, more driven. That is all nonsense. It was a different time, that's all. There is not an aimless mob of millions milling about the country. Boy, and I thought I was a skeptic.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Liberty, political philosophy aside, almost none of what you articulate is true. I am glad your children will be peachy because of your foresight, but guess what? Those millions you dismiss will be, as past generations have been, just fine. I want to believe I was a better athlete than my sons and young grandchildren, and that I was smarter, more committed, more disciplined, more ambitious, more driven. That is all nonsense. It was a different time, that's all. There is not an aimless mob of millions milling about the country. Boy, and I thought I was a skeptic.
And don't forget that when you were a young buck, the previous generation was was calling your generation lazy, unmotivated, undriven, less skilled, less tough, etc, etc, etc...

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Leave it to an moderate OF to say you are both overstating it. Liberty is correct in that since the 60s we have dumbed down school in the name of political correctness and fathers have been absent from the home in increasing numbers. These two issues have had devastating impacts upon our youth for quite awhile now. Our academic standing in the World is a case in point, as is the continued slaughter of our school children by our school children. So, a great deal of what he has to say is in fact true.
OTOH, Skeptic is thankfully correct as well. It is in fact is a different time and there are numerous examples of our young people doing extraordinary things every day. We don't know for sure how today's young people would respond to a situation like WWII, but my money is on them to respond to such a dire time in their own way under vastly different circumstances. Yes, this an extreme example, but there are many lesser examples where I believe they would ultimately meet the challenge.
Bottom line, you are both right imo, but are overstating your posits. Z

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Ahh, older generations believing that the youngest is going to be the end of times. A tradition as old as humanity. Here's a funny article with quotes as far back as Aristotle claiming the new generation is too arrogant in 400 BC.

Including this wonderful quote about how the generation that fought WWII was never taught discipline (too much positive reinforcement?) by their parents:
“Parents themselves were often the cause of many difficulties. They frequently failed in their obvious duty to teach self-control and discipline to their own children.”

Problems of Young People, Leeds Mercury

Oh, and this one about "snowflakes" in the 1700's:
“Whither are the manly vigour and athletic appearance of our forefathers flown? Can these be their legitimate heirs? Surely, no; a race of effeminate, self-admiring, emaciated fribbles can never have descended in a direct line from the heroes of Potiers and Agincourt…”

Letter in Town and Country magazine republished in Paris Fashion: A Cultural History

Every new generation is seen as lazy, entitled, and lacking discipline. As a millennial, I'm just waiting my turn to shift the blame of society's woes on Gen Z.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Ahh, older generations believing that the youngest is going to be the end of times. A tradition as old as humanity. Here's a funny article with quotes as far back as Aristotle claiming the new generation is too arrogant in 400 BC.

Including this wonderful quote about how the generation that fought WWII was never taught discipline (too much positive reinforcement?) by their parents:

Oh, and this one about "snowflakes" in the 1700's:

Every new generation is seen as lazy, entitled, and lacking discipline. As a millennial, I'm just waiting my turn to shift the blame of society's woes on Gen Z.
The quote about the WWII generation was full of shiete. Tom Brokaw says Hi!

5277hike

Jolly Good Fellow

I am a public school math teacher. I have high expectations for students and I hold them what I expect. If a student turns in an assignment or project and it is not complete and up to the standards set out when I assigned it, I return it and say "not yet". When it is complete, I will grade it. If they don't turn in a homework assignment, they spend their lunch time with me until it is complete. Not doing an assignment is not an option. I do this in a pleasant manner because I also expect them to be pleasant. I don't have to cuss or get mad and show my rear end to get them to do what they are assigned. I engage them in learning why math works, and they learn. There are always some hard heads, but none so far with a harder head than me.

It seems like our coaches are doing the same thing, TEACHING what they want the players to do and not just chewing them out when they make mistakes. I know that I responded to that type approach in my engineering career much better than someone criticizing when I did something wrong. We should be able to tell in the next couple of years if this approach can be successful in P5 football.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I am a public school math teacher. I have high expectations for students and I hold them what I expect. If a student turns in an assignment or project and it is not complete and up to the standards set out when I assigned it, I return it and say "not yet". When it is complete, I will grade it. If they don't turn in a homework assignment, they spend their lunch time with me until it is complete. Not doing an assignment is not an option. I do this in a pleasant manner because I also expect them to be pleasant. I don't have to cuss or get mad and show my rear end to get them to do what they are assigned. I engage them in learning why math works, and they learn. There are always some hard heads, but none so far with a harder head than me.

It seems like our coaches are doing the same thing, TEACHING what they want the players to do and not just chewing them out when they make mistakes. I know that I responded to that type approach in my engineering career much better than someone criticizing when I did something wrong. We should be able to tell in the next couple of years if this approach can be successful in P5 football.
What are the consequences for not finishing the assignment correctly on time?

You don’t have to yell and scream to be a disciplinarian but if there’s no repercussions for poor performance I guess they figure it out for themselves or don’t. To me that’s a leadership failure. I have watched many a “pump sunshine up their grommet” organizations crash and burn but maybe it works for somebody somewhere?

5277hike

Jolly Good Fellow
What are the consequences for not finishing the assignment correctly on time?

You don’t have to yell and scream to be a disciplinarian but if there’s no repercussions for poor performance I guess they figure it out for themselves or don’t. To me that’s a leadership failure. I have watched many a “pump sunshine up their grommet” organizations crash and burn but maybe it works for somebody somewhere?
The consequences are that they have to turn in quality work. We assess habits of work (turning in assignments on time, effort, collaboration, engagement in class, etc.) separately from what they can do academically. They know that if they have more time on an assignment, that it is graded more strictly since they had longer to prepare it. I am teaching them that since they have to do the assignment, they might as well do it right the first time. Most learn that pretty quickly.

I don't pump sunshine up anyone's grommet. I certainly don't give participation trophies. Our students learn the personal satisfaction of doing a good job, on time.

I worked over a quarter century in the real world before teaching. I have seen organizations crash and burn because management wanted to show what hard tails they were by making everything into a confrontation. Good people would leave because they didn't want to work in that environment. To me, that's a leadership failure.

I am not trying to be a friend to my students or to get them to like me. I really don't care what they think about me. I want them to learn that failure to do quality work on time is not acceptable, and they learn that. I do it without having to cuss them out, which is the point I initially addressed.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
The consequences are that they have to turn in quality work. We assess habits of work (turning in assignments on time, effort, collaboration, engagement in class, etc.) separately from what they can do academically. They know that if they have more time on an assignment, that it is graded more strictly since they had longer to prepare it. I am teaching them that since they have to do the assignment, they might as well do it right the first time. Most learn that pretty quickly.

I don't pump sunshine up anyone's grommet. I certainly don't give participation trophies. Our students learn the personal satisfaction of doing a good job, on time.

I worked over a quarter century in the real world before teaching. I have seen organizations crash and burn because management wanted to show what hard tails they were by making everything into a confrontation. Good people would leave because they didn't want to work in that environment. To me, that's a leadership failure.

I am not trying to be a friend to my students or to get them to like me. I really don't care what they think about me. I want them to learn that failure to do quality work on time is not acceptable, and they learn that. I do it without having to cuss them out, which is the point I initially addressed.
How many do you flunk? Two or more will cost you your job. Good luck because I like your moxie, but in the end, there's the bottom line, huh?

herb

Helluva Engineer
817FDE8A-DF6E-400C-B4D3-30F9FE626327.jpeg
Not sure where to put this, but these are in book store now.