ESPN article

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
As a GT engineer (and mad scientist), I am all about seeing if changing the culture will result in unparalleled success going forward. Football is a rough and tumble, hit you in the mouth sport, and GT is a very unique place that is trying to compete in the world of big boy, big $$ football. Ultimately, slogans and catchphrases and sparkle can assist greatly in attracting interest to our football program. That much is VERY obvious. Now, if that translates to actual success both in the classroom and on the field, I am extremely interested to see.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Would some one that witnessed the team cleaning the stadium describe it?
Cheese brought it up and he never attends so he s no help.
Skeptic calls it janitoral service like .
Perhaps he could describe it in more detail since he made the janitor label.

If u were there
A. Was it more like the 45 guys on the losing team ""ALL"" took a row. Then w a garbage bag they """ALL""start at one end and stuffed in the cups and paper goods. ( I was there during game and the amount of consessions was way lower - 7 pm start and cool and short game).

Or was it
2. After doing 1 did they each get a broom or blower to get each piece of paper.

NOW FOR MY QUESTION
What did the coaches for the L team do?

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Somehow I think Collins in a strange way is trying to bring the football program into alignment with the academic side. When I was at Tech, you could say the academic program was a LOT of negative reinforcement. Profs didn't seem to care if you flunked out or not. The school symbol could easily have been changed from the Yellow Jacket to the Barbed Shaft. Now, retention matters. My family members that are recent graduates describe a much different atmosphere with more resources to help you achieve. It's still tough, but much different.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Punishment also works. It's not bad. It's just that positive reinforcement works better, and punishment can be done badly having deleterious effects. Cleaning up the stadium, if it's posed as a wager and is seen by those involved as a way of building community and accountability, can be a great tool to supplant the positive reinforcement we are also focusing on.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Finally, someone used the proper adjective

Revitalize!

https://es.pn/2vO1gwA
Good article. As someone that went to GT during the O'Leary years, I could definitely see why CGC would feel the way he does if that was his introduction to big time college football. I was and am a CPJ fan, and he was a breath of fresh air after Gailey, but the excitement during the O'Leary years was different. Only natural for him to want to try to recreate those days. Hope he does it!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You have a good point. I also observe that, nearly exclusively, CGC's staff is comprised of people who have worked with him before. In some cases (Key, Suddes), it seems that folks have made moves specifically to work with him and not simply looking for the best opportunity for career advancement. That makes me feel much better about things.
Swinney apparently had an unpleasant experience with a hire and now will not accept any assistants as part of a major hire. That hire itself was good, but he wanted a couple of assistant coaches, who weren't so good. And part of the reason for firing DC Steele when he hired Venables was that Steele vocally opposed, in the football offices, his offensive plans. And so it is at Clemson: all in. I hope Collins can pull it off because it is a very difficult concept.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Would some one that witnessed the team cleaning the stadium describe it?
Cheese brought it up and he never attends so he s no help.
Skeptic calls it janitoral service like .
Perhaps he could describe it in more detail since he made the janitor label.

If u were there
A. Was it more like the 45 guys on the losing team ""ALL"" took a row. Then w a garbage bag they """ALL""start at one end and stuffed in the cups and paper goods. ( I was there during game and the amount of consessions was way lower - 7 pm start and cool and short game).

Or was it
2. After doing 1 did they each get a broom or blower to get each piece of paper.

NOW FOR MY QUESTION
What did the coaches for the L team do?
Crickets from the accusers?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Swinney apparently had an unpleasant experience with a hire and now will not accept any assistants as part of a major hire. That hire itself was good, but he wanted a couple of assistant coaches, who weren't so good. And part of the reason for firing DC Steele when he hired Venables was that Steele vocally opposed, in the football offices, his offensive plans. And so it is at Clemson: all in. I hope Collins can pull it off because it is a very difficult concept.
I hadn't ever heard this story, but it is interesting and talk about hiring up when he got Venables.. Dude is crazy but genius

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Nope. Reinforcement is making a behavior more likely. Punishment is making a behavior less likely. Positive is adding a stimulus. Negative is removing a stimulus.

So....
Child cleans room, you give ice cream -- positive reinforcement
Child cleans room, you turn off the polka music -- negative reinforcement
Child refuses to clean room, you spank him -- positive punishment
Child refuses to clean room, you take away his allowance -- negative punishment
but what if they hate ice cream and love polka music?

:unsure::playful::drowning:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
"You have coaches saying they haven't seen a Tech coach in 11 years," Suddes said. "They were recruiting different guys, but you have kids coming on campus who say they haven't been here before. It's been like they forgot Georgia Tech was in Atlanta."

Wow.
Anyone who went to the spring game would have noticed the huge reserved section at midfield on east side. I am pretty sure that it was for all the recruits and WANT TO BE RECRIUTS who with family and coaches were lined up at the edge center before the game.
This middke filled in and seemed pretty spirited during game.

Walking back to tech center we had a car pass by with a couple kids hanging out window. They had their gtaa entry badge in hand and were happily yelling "ga tech can recruit me" as the driver honked.
Ga tech buzz at bds went out to 404v with many recruits and want to be recriuts .

A few on this forum that call it mantra and the people that love it minons. Sad excuse for fans.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
THIS!!!

The cleaning up of the stadium after the spring game is not "negative reinforcement" (or whatever term you want to use), it is teaching the players responsibility and respect for their facility. Also, since competition drives everything, CGC wanted to provide an incentive for the players to perform their best by REWARDING (a.k.a. positive reinforcement) the winning team by getting to sleep in and not having to be out there to clean up. That next morning the coaches were out with the players from the White team cleaning the stadium as well because they practice what they preach!
You mean they didn’t get orange slices and participation trophies.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Somehow I think Collins in a strange way is trying to bring the football program into alignment with the academic side. When I was at Tech, you could say the academic program was a LOT of negative reinforcement. Profs didn't seem to care if you flunked out or not. The school symbol could easily have been changed from the Yellow Jacket to the Barbed Shaft. Now, retention matters. My family members that are recent graduates describe a much different atmosphere with more resources to help you achieve. It's still tough, but much different.
I am not sure when you were at MaTech but I started in the fall of 1964 when it was still almost all male. Most profs didn’t seem to care one way or the other about retention. The number of quarter hours for engineers to graduate was about 230. I had to go into the military in 1967 during junior year-thank you LBJ. When I came back in 1971 things had changed . They had dropped the foreign language requirement and several others. The hours to graduate was reduced to somewhere around 220 if I remember correctly. The attitude toward students was more accommodating as well. I don't know if it was due to the Vietnam situation or that there were a lot more women on campus but it definitely softened during those 4 years. I was a EE major which is not particularly easy.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

I dont know what steele said in a meeting but if u say he did thats fine w me.
Numbers:
What i know is Steele was Baylor head coach. During one game we left w 5 min to go in second w score 45 to 3. He was clueless and never changed anything.

The season he was fired (2011) gt put 33 points on clemson and jn Orange bowl wva put SEVENTY 70 points on them .

(Remember MTSU SCORES AGAIN and imo the worst dc in history of gt)

Clueless ast coaches have to go.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I dont know what steele said in a meeting but if u say he did thats fine w me.
Numbers:
What i know is Steele was Baylor head coach. During one game we left w 5 min to go in second w score 45 to 3. He was clueless and never changed anything.

The season he was fired (2011) gt put 33 points on clemson and jn Orange bowl wva put SEVENTY 70 points on them .

(Remember MTSU SCORES AGAIN and imo the worst dc in history of gt)

Clueless ast coaches have to go.
He wound up with a good job somewhere, I forget, but I was told as a result of the Clemson firing he changed his defensive concept and acknowledged the offenses, including his own team's, had changed, and he had to adapt. he sure waited a spell, though.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Fear is the greatest motivator. Any psychologist that doesn’t understand that is either ignorant or delusional.

Snowflakes defending snowflakes. Give them all a trophy.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Fear is the greatest motivator. Any psychologist that doesn’t understand that is either ignorant or delusional.

Snowflakes defending snowflakes. Give them all a trophy.

Fear is indeed the greatest motivator. I took a belt to my son last time he missed a goal playing soccer. Hasn't missed a goal since. Of course he hasn't played soccer in 3 years, either. And I totally just made up this story also.