ESPN article

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Didn’t the losing team of the spring game have to clean the stadium the next day? Sounds like negative reinforcement to me.

He’s gone! In the words of a wise queen: “let it go!”

In competition there is a winner and a loser. I’m guessing he was also trying to help players respect the people that do that job during the season and help them realize there is more to what goes on in a stadium besides what they do. Also, it’s good optics for the program that the team is out there cleaning up after the fans.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
He’s gone! In the words of a wise queen: “let it go!”

In competition there is a winner and a loser. I’m guessing he was also trying to help players respect the people that do that job during the season and help them realize there is more to what goes on in a stadium besides what they do. Also, it’s good optics for the program that the team is out there cleaning up after the fans.
Just differentiating between positive and negative reinforcement. When you punish the loser isn’t that negative reinforcement?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
When you start hearing the same thing from several sources-and if you are paying attention you would have-the smell becomes pretty clear. Some skeptics seem to be happy with calm mediocrity.
My goodness. Whose toy did I break?

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Just differentiating between positive and negative reinforcement. When you punish the loser isn’t that negative reinforcement?

There’s a difference for there being consequences for losing a competition and having someone berate you for a misstep or bad angle in practice.

I’d like to think you know the difference, but not sure. It’s hard to tell if you’re serious or just trying to find any little negative with OUR new coach that has done nothing but bring positive energy and press to Atlanta.

Only a Ugag fan or someone that loved a previous coach more than GT could find something negative to take away from that article. It’s sad you and a few others try so hard to find something wrong with Collins and the way he’s running this program.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Different strokes for different folks. You gotta be true to yourself. I would imagine, that ain't what you are getting at Alabama, though. And probably not at Clemson (remember Dabo and the punter after he went for it on 4th)

there's a bit of difference between how you treat kids in practice and how you treat a player for calling his own audible as P in the ACC Championship with a birth in the CFP on the line. Frankly, that idiot punter deserved to be chewed out.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer

Nope. Reinforcement is making a behavior more likely. Punishment is making a behavior less likely. Positive is adding a stimulus. Negative is removing a stimulus.

So....
Child cleans room, you give ice cream -- positive reinforcement
Child cleans room, you turn off the polka music -- negative reinforcement
Child refuses to clean room, you spank him -- positive punishment
Child refuses to clean room, you take away his allowance -- negative punishment

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
When you start hearing the same thing from several sources-and if you are paying attention you would have-the smell becomes pretty clear. Some skeptics seem to be happy with calm mediocrity.

yeah it's obvious PJ blew off ATL-area recruiting for a decade. Else, all these HS coaches that are saying the same thing are liars and why would they do that?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
This article sets forth the reasons I wanted to hire Geoff Collins in 2014.
I knew then he was a great recruiter and that Tech and Atlanta have a lot to sell. We just weren't selling it. He knew Tech, knew the culture, knew Atlanta, has relatives that went to Tech.
He is not only great at what he does, this is where he wants to be. This is home for him. This is what he has worked for his entire life. He has worked for some of the best coaches in the industry to gain the education and experience he needs to be successful--and he wants to be HERE.
Everyone needs to get behind him.
I understand what you are saying but sometimes it's better to wait. I like the staff his has here not sure in 2014 you would have the same staff. His choice of coaches will make him or break him. I think they will make him.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
There’s a difference for there being consequences for losing a competition and having someone berate you for a misstep or bad angle in practice.

I’d like to think you know the difference, but not sure. It’s hard to tell if you’re serious or just trying to find any little negative with OUR new coach that has done nothing but bring positive energy and press to Atlanta.

Only a Ugag fan or someone that loved a previous coach more than GT could find something negative to take away from that article. It’s sad you and a few others try so hard to find something wrong with Collins and the way he’s running this program.
Good lord, man, you are reaching on this one.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Good lord, man, you are reaching on this one.

Am I?

Go read his last 30 posts. You could probably go all the way back to when Collins was hired. I am willing to bet you will find him either defending CPJ, something he did during his time here, or nitpicking/discrediting something the new staff is doing. It’s blatantly obvious to anyone paying attention that he cares more about Paul and his reputation than the well-being and future of the program.

If you were referencing the difference between consequences in losing a competition and being berated for making a mistake in practice, I don’t know what to say to you.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Am I?

Go read his last 30 posts. You could probably go all the way back to when Collins was hired. I am willing to bet you will find him either defending CPJ, something he did during his time here, or nitpicking/discrediting something the new staff is doing. It’s blatantly obvious to anyone paying attention that he cares more about Paul and his reputation than the well-being and future of the program.

If you were referencing the difference between consequences in losing a competition and being berated for making a mistake in practice, I don’t know what to say to you.
Probably the most expensive janitors the school ever hired. I hope, shoot I know I'm right, that the threat of cleaning up was not needed to motivate quality athletes to compete. I'm not into picking nits with everything the new guy does, because he will make his share of mistakes, just wondering. Does this not fly directly counter to "Legacy" and the All Blacks New Zealand national rugby team, arguably the most successful athletic team ever, in which "team" is everything and nothing is allowed to pull them apart and everything directed at molding a cohesive unit, from top to bottom? Because if one wants to know what Swinney and Clemson are all about, start there. Half the team picking up trash is not in that play book. Now, all the team or none of the team, including trainers, assistants, office staff and coaches? Yep.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Probably the most expensive janitors the school ever hired. I hope, shoot I know I'm right, that the threat of cleaning up was not needed to motivate quality athletes to compete. I'm not into picking nits with everything the new guy does, because he will make his share of mistakes, just wondering. Does this not fly directly counter to "Legacy" and the All Blacks New Zealand national rugby team, arguably the most successful athletic team ever, in which "team" is everything and nothing is allowed to pull them apart and everything directed at molding a cohesive unit, from top to bottom? Because if one wants to know what Swinney and Clemson are all about, start there. Half the team picking up trash is not in that play book. Now, all the team or none of the team, including trainers, assistants, office staff and coaches? Yep.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...geoff-collins-culture/M3sNj2wZQUDQm5n5GHpBLJ/

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
It's a problem when schools haven't seen you come through in a decade. Yikes! Not a dark place, but our recruiting can be much more than it has been.

I agree. I’m referring to the assertion that the on-field success GT had during CGC’s past stops here was so much greater than the last decade. Because it wasn’t.

But I am 100% on board with the direction CGC is moving.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
That, sustained, is directly out of the All Blacks culture and the "elite" programs he talked about, though who they might be outside of Clemson is uncertain. Others have tried it, but since it also involves such things as comity from top to bottom -- no backbiting coaches or coaches wives, or administrative assistants, or analysts etc. Harder to execute than adopt.

You have a good point. I also observe that, nearly exclusively, CGC's staff is comprised of people who have worked with him before. In some cases (Key, Suddes), it seems that folks have made moves specifically to work with him and not simply looking for the best opportunity for career advancement. That makes me feel much better about things.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
THIS!!!
Collins “basically talked about how them expecting the custodial staff or the trainers or whoever to pick up after them was not how elite programs are run, how they behave,” Stansbury said at the Tech athletic association’s board meeting on Thursday. “So he goes through that whole thing of expectations and they need to take care of their facility and this and that and whatever.”
The cleaning up of the stadium after the spring game is not "negative reinforcement" (or whatever term you want to use), it is teaching the players responsibility and respect for their facility. Also, since competition drives everything, CGC wanted to provide an incentive for the players to perform their best by REWARDING (a.k.a. positive reinforcement) the winning team by getting to sleep in and not having to be out there to clean up. That next morning the coaches were out with the players from the White team cleaning the stadium as well because they practice what they preach!

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Jesus what a screwed up fan base. Now we’re arguing about positive vs negative reinforcement and the deep psychological impact of half the team cleaning the stadium and lessons from the All Blacks? How about this ... it was a competition and a fun wager between the two sides? Period. Players love to compete. To spice things up there was a consequence. I’ll bet the losing side didn’t take it badly and would also be interested in whether any of the winners showed up to support them and/or help.