ESPN article

herb

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, this shows he is really in touch with this generation, which seems to do much better with positive reinforcement and constructive correction.

Different strokes for different folks. You gotta be true to yourself. I would imagine, that ain't what you are getting at Alabama, though. And probably not at Clemson (remember Dabo and the punter after he went for it on 4th)

Milwaukee

Banned
Different strokes for different folks. You gotta be true to yourself. I would imagine, that ain't what you are getting at Alabama, though. And probably not at Clemson (remember Dabo and the punter after he went for it on 4th)

I think you're probably reading it a little too literally. I doubt Collins and staff are gonna run and pat a player on the butt with positive reinforcement when they make a boneheaded key play. I think he just means he doesn't want everyone to run around like miserable drill sergeants 100% of the time. But I could be wrong, I've been wrong once before in my life (damn that @Techster).

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
"He told them he didn't want them cussing out players during practice for simple mistakes. He didn't want them hung up on roster deficiencies, either. As long as the effort was there, he urged his assistants to build players up rather than tear them down."

That really speaks to me. Really in line with data on learning. It's not really this generation, but I think it's especially important in this generation. Really having success with chewing people out relies on those people respecting you and wanting to associate with you. These days it's hard to be that kind of figure, and you aren't going to be given that respect automatically just because of your position.

Of course, you can't also normalize stuff that isn't going right. You recognize it and point to teaching someone what to do instead rather than dwelling on what not to do. And building a culture well helps establish the whole team valuing this kind of accountability for each other.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Like the part about cgc telling assistant coaches = Don't cuss out players - don't put them down - build them up.
Yeah, this shows he is really in touch with this generation, which seems to do much better with positive reinforcement and constructive correction.
The interesting tidbit I saw in that article is that Collins was studying Psychology when he was a GA at GT. Last time I took a psych class it was taught that positive reinforcement is definitively better than negative reinforcement. All my psychology degree holding friends back that up too. I mean, I understand that football is a tough sport, but you're more likely to learn when you're not deathly afraid of making a mistake. This attention to doing things in a better way is echoed where Collins mentions he's an avid reader as well.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, you don’t need a Clemson like recruiting staff or an investment in football to show your face.
I read an article that discussed the hype cgc uses for early morning spring practices . In the article it listed the advantages (get day started, etc) and it indicated the coaches are in way early .
Imo ,This group of coaches is working their bxxxs off.

Article also said that almost every other acc team had long ago gone to AM practices. To me it seemed odd we were so late in shifting. Any idea why we had afternoon practices.? Back in the day Rotc may have conflicted.

This article discussed the coaches hitting 8 ATL hs in 8 hr. I love the concept of all hands on deck as long and assume using modern software contact records.

So far meet and exceed all expectations.

Dpjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, I don't anyone is worried about CPJ's feelings in as far as making life decisions or even dinner plans. But it might even bring a collective smile thinking about how might have responded were he still here. I mean, just as a matter of respect that he was here for 10 years doing his thing (and was so only a just a few months ago). Like Supersize said...definitely much better adjectives could have been chosen!

Anyhow back to CGC in the moment, I think the best underlying aspect of his brief time, and what comes through in the article, is his genuine connection and -- can we say affection? -- that transcends this being just another gig and another $3M. Something deeper and beyond optics of bling and hype and all that. At least I like to think that this is place he sees as his life's mark in the way of Dodd, et al

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
This article sets forth the reasons I wanted to hire Geoff Collins in 2014.
I knew then he was a great recruiter and that Tech and Atlanta have a lot to sell. We just weren't selling it. He knew Tech, knew the culture, knew Atlanta, has relatives that went to Tech.
He is not only great at what he does, this is where he wants to be. This is home for him. This is what he has worked for his entire life. He has worked for some of the best coaches in the industry to gain the education and experience he needs to be successful--and he wants to be HERE.
Everyone needs to get behind him.

Last edited:

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It's a problem when schools haven't seen you come through in a decade. Yikes! Not a dark place, but our recruiting can be much more than it has been.
I don't believe 11 years absence for a second, even if the schools in question have lousy football programs. That doesn't even get past the smell test and Suddes(?) needs to take a deep breath and calm down.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I don't believe 11 years absence for a second, even if the schools in question have lousy football programs. That doesn't even get past the smell test and Suddes(?) needs to take a deep breath and calm down.

I definitely believe it. For example, we haven’t signed a city of Atlanta schools guy since 2005, I think it was. Likely because we blew them off the last decade or so, which I’m not blaming solely on CPJ. However that’s a problem.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

When you start hearing the same thing from several sources-and if you are paying attention you would have-the smell becomes pretty clear. Some skeptics seem to be happy with calm mediocrity.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

I believe it, some. I also believe Jim Nagy, some. I’ve read current recruits speak about the lack of energy and absence of GT in recruiting. I’ve read where scouts have stated GT has opened up more. It wasn’t all roses.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The interesting tidbit I saw in that article is that Collins was studying Psychology when he was a GA at GT. Last time I took a psych class it was taught that positive reinforcement is definitively better than negative reinforcement. All my psychology degree holding friends back that up too. I mean, I understand that football is a tough sport, but you're more likely to learn when you're not deathly afraid of making a mistake. This attention to doing things in a better way is echoed where Collins mentions he's an avid reader as well.
Didn’t the losing team of the spring game have to clean the stadium the next day? Sounds like negative reinforcement to me.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Like the part about cgc telling assistant coaches = Don't cuss out players - don't put them down - build them up.

Yeah. Read "The Happiness Advantage" by Shawn Achor if you want to understand the latest (scientifically supported) evidence on the power of a positive mindset on across the board performance. Easy to be a skeptic about this stuff until you understand the brain chemistry and clinical studies supporting it.

I'm guessing that is Collin's psychology masters coming through. Great article.