#DUKEvsGT Postgame Discussion

slugboy

Staff member
We beat a really bad Duke defense....I didnt make it clear earlier...we never change the game plan....we played basically the same game against Cuse and BC and got beat. We won because we have Gibbs and the Duke line backers and safeties are bad. Once we got past their D line it was off to the races. Against any other team with decent linebackers those plays get stuffed. We didnt win because all of a sudden CDP figured out he was brilliant.
Didn’t we switch to more running, plus more midrange and outlet passes in the second half? The play calling seemed a lot different to me.

Duke kept crowding the line—that’s a big reason we were off to the races—once you got a seam, you were a step from getting behind everyone. I wouldn’t blame their safeties as much as their defensive strategy.

Milwaukee

Banned
Didn’t we switch to more running, plus more midrange and outlet passes in the second half? The play calling seemed a lot different to me.

Duke kept crowding the line—that’s a big reason we were off to the races—once you got a seam, you were a step from getting behind everyone. I wouldn’t blame their safeties as much as their defensive strategy.
Well said. I was really upset with Jeff in the 1st half as Duke was stacking the box because he got off to such a horrid start through the air. One way to loosen that up, and the more difficult way mind you, is to just damn run through the front 10 which is what we did. Jeff played much better 2nd half though, or maybe the OL played better, it’s hard to tell as they are interchangeable imo.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Well said. I was really upset with Jeff in the 1st half as Duke was stacking the box because he got off to such a horrid start through the air. One way to loosen that up, and the more difficult way mind you, is to just damn run through the front 10 which is what we did. Jeff played much better 2nd half though, or maybe the OL played better, it’s hard to tell as they are interchangeable imo.
He did better through the air in the 2nd half in part because we only threw 7 passes. Frankly, that is the way we should be playing most games. Let Gibbs and Mason win games for us.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I am thinking of starting a poll. Which way does a kickoff bounce? Five choices: left, right, back, forward, and pointy end sticks in the mud.
I would love to take the test but would need to know the direction of the wind at the time was it kicked by a left footed or right footed kicker and what type of grass is on the field. Oh and will you grade our answer on the curve ?

also I like to add this about last nights game

THE GOOD we won
we scored more than them
we beat Cut

THE BAD I ran out of beer before the end of the game
Had to watch the game with my wife
After drinking the beer I need to move my chair closer to the bathroom

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Huh? What good does catching the ball while out of bounds do? That’s a weak stance.

Look, I’m not mad at Dontae. It was a mistake. Learn from it and move on. But don’t try to say it wasn’t a mistake. I bet if you asked Dontae he would say it was a mistake...probably Tashard as well
It’s so it doesn’t land and take a weird bounce...but you know that and are really just looking for reasons to criticize.

Last edited:

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Back to something important. How do we clean up the penalties? Mainly false starts. Or maybe...how are the coaches trying to do this? Anything they’re doing in practice to emphasize it?
Wondering that myself. Maybe the QB cadence? We’re supposed to be some of the smartest athletes on earth and sometimes I want to say grrrrr!

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I commit the occasional sin of flipping between our game and Georgia games and in general CB play is the same all over the place. I dont know if the rules put the CBs at a disadvantage or if it’s defensive mindsets ( single coverage) or if proper technique is not being coached, most likely all 3 but man there are an awful lot of picks being missed out on. Simply, and I know that’s a bad word, not getting their heads around. A lot of CBs are hit in the back of the pads and helmet b/c they aren’t getting their heads around. All around college football and even in the Pros it looks like they are trying to read the WRs eyes to much.

however on the Duke TD that Thomas got beat on, the WR clearly not only pushed off but grabbed Thomas by the arm. Refs just won’t call offensive pass int. A lot like a back can literally grab a defenders face mask and it’s called a stiff arm, it’s so frustrating.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Someone wanted to know where critics of a certain player had all gone.

I’ve learned not to call out players on this blog and in that mindset I’ll say that a certain LB with high energy output played big last night. Ive often been critical of him missing assignments and filling non existent “holes” and getting hung up in traffic, I still saw that last night BUT I will take the time to congratulate him on his overall impact In this game. The impact he alone had is why I get frustrated at him. He has the talent to do it in every game but I digress, he did good last night.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
We beat a really bad Duke defense....I didnt make it clear earlier...we never change the game plan....we played basically the same game against Cuse and BC and got beat. We won because we have Gibbs and the Duke line backers and safeties are bad. Once we got past their D line it was off to the races. Against any other team with decent linebackers those plays get stuffed. We didnt win because all of a sudden CDP figured out he was brilliant.

If was a fif....

Last edited:

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

I don't fault their strategy. I think they were playing up close to stop our run game and force Sims to pass. He has yet to prove he can carry a team with his passing. I'd defend us the same way. They just didn't execute that strategy very well. That's what bad teams do....

Which has a higher probability? A player messing that play up or the ball bouncing so randomly that it doesn’t go through the end zone or out of bounds?
The purpose of Coaching and all those Analysts (at the Big $$$ Programs) is to lessen the probabilities of something bad happening - this is why ALL NFL KO-Returners are taught to straddle the Out of Bounds lines and get the ball at the 35yd line via Penalty

I'm amazed that any GT Fan(s) would argue this point

GT Fans love the ideology behind concepts like "Moneyball" in other Sports, and "Data Analytics" until CGC applies similar strategies to the GT FB program, only then does it not make any sense at all

You do realize he dropped the ball and Duke recovered and it’s in the books as a turnover don’t you? LOL.
By rule Punts are treated differently than Free Kicks (after TDs or Safeties) - TECHNICALLY a punt that is not possessed (meaning controlled and the Punt Returner makes a FB move) is considered a muff, meaning we never had possession, so by rule we never lost a possession

With a Free Kick as soon as it goes 10 yds- possession switches and if no one recovers like with an onside kick it is considered a "Team Fumble" and a lost possession

I think my Brain is remembering all those rules from Skull Sessions back in my HS FB Days

Yes a Muffed Punt is a Turnover, but I'm not sure if the Technicalities of the Rules counts it as a possession or lost possession

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
The purpose of Coaching and all those Analysts (at the Big $$$ Programs) is to lessen the probabilities of something bad happening - this is why ALL NFL KO-Returners are taught to straddle the Out of Bounds lines and get the ball at the 35yd line via Penalty

I'm amazed that any GT Fan(s) would argue this point

GT Fans love the ideology behind concepts like "Moneyball" in other Sports, and "Data Analytics" until CGC applies similar strategies to the GT FB program, only then does it not make any sense at all
Well I’m not sure that coaching paid off very well considering something bad happened when very likely nothing bad would have happened had he just watched the ball.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I have YouTube TV with ESPN+ All in around 65 bucks and it gets you everything.

I have the sports package too for YTTV which is an additional 10 bucks. But with ESPN3 you pretty much get every game.

I’m planning on watching our b-ball team unfortunately.

btw-I was in Ohio and I also expect it to work where I live in Jackson WY
I'll check it out. Thanks !

Well I’m not sure that coaching paid off very well considering something bad happened when very likely nothing bad would have happened had he just watched the ball.
Letting the ball bounce is putting your fate in random luck - straddling the OoB lines while catching the ball is controlling your fate and guaranteeing your Return Team will get a Penalty and the ball at the 35

Guaranteed field position at the 35 yd line vs Random luck of a bounce deep in your own Territory on a LIVE BALL - FREE KICK , this is a no-brainer

I don't understand how you can't process which alternative is better given the scenario, there's a reason that this strategy is now taught at all Levels of FB

I'm gonna step out in a limb and take a guess here - if the previous HC started using this strategy, you would poke your chest out & proudly say, "he's playing Chess while everyone else is playing Checkers"

But when CGC teaches our Players the latest methods & strategies to help us win, you cut him down at the knees (pun intended)

So even when CGC is right, in your eyes he's still wrong

What did Jeff with a G ever do to you guys?