#DUKEvsGT Postgame Discussion

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
That’s how possessions work.
And we were going to score 3 points during that six seconds? Not all “possessions” are equal. We had one and lost it. But no time elapsed. It had no effect on our ability to have other possessions and cost us no more points than the 7 from the score.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Its the level of competition. A nice win against a really bad team. We played the same game plan against against Cuse and BC.
Did CDP steal your girl or something?

Another post in this thread said this is the most points we’ve ever scored against Duke (that includes the masterful offensive genius Paul Johnson coached teams). Yet you still look for reasons to hate on the man.

CDP’s offense also put up more rushing yards last night than any of your boy CPJ’s teams ever did against Duke. 1 maybe 2 of his 11 years they CPJ’s teams put up more total yards.

Give it a rest.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
But IIRC it didn't work, so the refs apparently were not aware of the loophole.
His foot did not touch out of bounds before he caught the ball. Kinda like the 1998 UGa game which the dawgies were whining about Tech being awarded the ball when their man was laying on the side lines and touched Hamilton's fumble.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
And we were going to score 3 points during that six seconds? Not all “possessions” are equal. We had one and lost it. But no time elapsed. It had no effect on our ability to have other possessions and cost us no more points than the 7 from the score.
Dude how are you not getting the fact that a possession was lost? If it was the 4th quarter and the game would have went from tied to being up a touchdown to tied, that would have been huge.

Deleted member 2897

So why don’t you explain how we lost one then smartiepants

It’s common sense. We were receiving a kick. That means we were about to start a drive. Like any other time you turn the ball over, we lost any possible points that drive would have ended in. That’s the way turnovers work - you forfeit the drive and any possible points you would have gotten. Then the other team had a chance to score (they did in this case), and then you start another drive again. You alternate drives until time runs out, and the team with the most points wins.

Deleted member 2897

False - teams operate differently depending on the ebb and flow of the game, who’s ahead, etc.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Dude how are you not getting the fact that a possession was lost? If it was the 4th quarter and the game would have went from tied to being up a touchdown to tied, that would have been huge.
Umm, yes. Which is 7 points. Not 10. If we scored on the next drive it still counts the same and it’s 7 points. It’s just math, not rocket science

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Umm, yes. Which is 7 points. Not 10. If we scored on the next drive it still counts the same and it’s 7 points. It’s just math, not rocket science
Yes, but Duke punted the ball. The “forfeited” their possession. Statistically it’s nearly impossible for the punting team to score on a punt. They were giving their possession up, and Tech was going to take possession. Tech muffed the punt, lost possession, and Duke scored.

So we’ve established that Duke was giving their possession up. That Tech lost possession, and Duke scored because of it. I literally don’t understand how you can say Tech didn’t lose a possession there.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Back to something important. How do we clean up the penalties? Mainly false starts. Or maybe...how are the coaches trying to do this? Anything they’re doing in practice to emphasize it?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Yes, but Duke punted the ball. The “forfeited” their possession. Statistically it’s nearly impossible for the punting team to score on a punt. They were giving their possession up, and Tech was going to take possession. Tech muffed the punt, lost possession, and Duke scored.

So we’ve established that Duke was giving their possession up. That Tech lost possession, and Duke scored because of it. I literally don’t understand how you can say Tech didn’t lose a possession there.
I’m not saying we didn’t lose the possession. I’m saying it was worth 7 points and not 10 like the original post stated.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I’m not saying we didn’t lose the possession. I’m saying it was worth 7 points and not 10 like the original post stated.
It’s worth 10 because Tech averaged 3 points per possession. Which means Duke scored 7 and the loss of possession effectively took 3 points off the board for Tech.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
It’s common sense. We were receiving a kick. That means we were about to start a drive. Like any other time you turn the ball over, we lost any possible points that drive would have ended in. That’s the way turnovers work - you forfeit the drive and any possible points you would have gotten. Then the other team had a chance to score (they did in this case), and then you start another drive again. You alternate drives until time runs out, and the team with the most points wins.
We never possessed the ball to turn it over. God you don’t get it. If we had caught the kick and fumbled the next play you would be right. But we didn’t and you’re not.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
As usual, I waited for the box score. This reminded me a lot of our game with Pitt in 2014. I said at the time that Cryst must have thought Tech had a voodon on our sidelines; every time they looked like they were going to get back into it, they would either have a penalty or a turnover. Cutliffe must have felt the same way yesterday. They gave us the football game.

But … plenty of times that happens and the other team can't take it away. Tech did and looked pretty good doing so.

The Good:

• Losing Gibbs looked like it would be very bad news, then Mason came in, got 21 carries and, just like clockwork, delivered 105 yards rushing. He's nothing if not dependable. This is even more remarkable since Duke had - wait for it - 10 TFLs. That has got to stop.

• Someone taught Stewart to get his kicks up! For whoever that was, thankyou,thankyou,thankyou,thankyou,thankyou.

• Sims was under a pretty good rush and responded well. He ran the ball effectively too. Why doesn't he get a chance to do that more often? On purpose, I mean.

• We looked well coached when it counted. There was a good amount of sloppy play, but we have been idle for a month. That we responded to opportunities like we did is a credit to the coaches as well as the players.

• Kent did a good job kicking. Not having Harvin out there made a difference, but not as much as it could have. Good job, young man!

• Our run D was the best this year. With some of the injured troops back next year, we could be a lot better there.

The Bad:

• I believe I mentioned 10 TFLs! I mean, I know we haven't played in a month, but that just has to stop by next Saturday.

• The DBs got relentlessly victimized. Admittedly, Brice is a pretty good QB, but really. (Btw, he throws too hard; George Mira (that dates me) had the same problem.)

• And that's about it. Hard to find major fault when you win convincingly after laying off for a month.

Scubapro

Banned
That ball was going out of bounds anyway, wouldn’t the penalty apply if he never touched it?
Yes. I understand the argument aboutcatching the ball OOB
Did CDP steal your girl or something?

Another post in this thread said this is the most points we’ve ever scored against Duke (that includes the masterful offensive genius Paul Johnson coached teams). Yet you still look for reasons to hate on the man.

CDP’s offense also put up more rushing yards last night than any of your boy CPJ’s teams ever did against Duke. 1 maybe 2 of his 11 years they CPJ’s teams put up more total yards.

Give it a rest.
Why did you make this about PJ? I never mentioned his name.
Great we beat a really really bad Duke team....granted its better than a loss.
But even then the Duke QBs and the offense in general looked well coached when compared to CDPs game planning.
I will give it a rest when we look well coached on offense.