#DUKEvsGT Postgame Discussion

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
The idea of catching the ball out of bounds isn't a bad one, but the mechanics to make it work make it high risk. The ball would have to come down within a yard of the sideline to even be feasible, and the player has to get his feet properly located while looking up in the air at the falling ball.

If the returner stepped out of bounds and then stepped back in to catch the ball, would it still be ruled a kick out of bounds? I believe if a receiver steps out unforced and then comes back in to make the catch its an incompletion correct? Would the same apply here?
If the ball is making it to the corner of the field (endzone and sideline) then it's either going to go out of bounds on its own, go into the endzone on its own, or stop on the field. It should be pretty safe at that point to put your feet out of bounds and hope it gets close enough to "field" it while out of bounds. If not, then you pick up the ball and take a knee. I'm not clear on whether you have to actually catch the ball before you can take a knee for a fair catch (for your drive to start at the 25).
Actually can you call a fair catch if the ball bounces off the ground before it gets to you? Like if you squibbed all your kickoffs, could you eliminate the option of the returner calling a fair catch?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
If the ball is making it to the corner of the field (endzone and sideline) then it's either going to go out of bounds on its own, go into the endzone on its own, or stop on the field. It should be pretty safe at that point to put your feet out of bounds and hope it gets close enough to "field" it while out of bounds. If not, then you pick up the ball and take a knee. I'm not clear on whether you have to actually catch the ball before you can take a knee for a fair catch (for your drive to start at the 25).
Actually can you call a fair catch if the ball bounces off the ground before it gets to you? Like if you squibbed all your kickoffs, could you eliminate the option of the returner calling a fair catch?
No. if it touches the ground, it's live.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Not to interrupt the 15th page of a 5 day long argument over how to correctly play an oddball situation that our student athlete had a fraction of a second to decide on, but I'd like to make a post in appreciation of the LB play this weekend. I really don't think curry did that much different than he normally does (maybe was better at diagnosing routes and dropping into the correct passing lanes). I think the difference was that, for the most part, our defenders were playing leverage better and it forced the play back to help. Still not a good defensive performance overall, but our LBs were a more effective presence than I've grown accustomed to.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Not to interrupt the 15th page of a 5 day long argument over how to correctly play an oddball situation that our student athlete had a fraction of a second to decide on, but I'd like to make a post in appreciation of the LB play this weekend. I really don't think curry did that much different than he normally does (maybe was better at diagnosing routes and dropping into the correct passing lanes). I think the difference was that, for the most part, our defenders were playing leverage better and it forced the play back to help. Still not a good defensive performance overall, but our LBs were a more effective presence than I've grown accustomed to.
Curry definitely plays with 100% heart and until the whistle blows. I wish that was contagious.

I hope we have the opportunity to read a similar critique next week after playing a significantly better opponent this Saturday.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
To me the big thing with Curry’s performance is he seemed to trust his teammates more and didn’t try to do too much.