#DUKEvsGT Postgame Discussion

Deleted member 2897

Tariq played his best game of the season and was the highest graded player on D. I wonder if he was dinged up early on this season and the time off gave him time to recover. He looked like himself.

He had a few surgeries and was 25 pounds heavier this summer. It’s highly likely it took a bit as he was losing weight to get his legs back under him.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Forward progress
Nah. He moved into the endzone himself to avoid contact once he realized he screwed up. It should have been a safety. The refs blew the call in my opinion. However, based on the final outcome of that possession, I'm okay with the refs blowing the call. I'll take 7 over 2 all day. And how about 7 for 7 on PAT's!!!

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Nah. He moved into the endzone himself to avoid contact once he realized he screwed up. It should have been a safety. The refs blew the call in my opinion. However, based on the final outcome of that possession, I'm okay with the refs blowing the call. I'll take 7 over 2 all day. And how about 7 for 7 on PAT's!!!
Sometimes, Karma works to your advantage.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Wait, we had 1 celebration penalty and personal foul for retaliation which shouldn’t happen but I can understand it. Sure it would be better not to have them but you act like we are 1990 Miami or something. Mouthing and what you call showboating is simply playing football these days. Now the motion and the like we need to cut down on.
My comment was related to various unnecessary penalties over the course of the season. Also the lack of discipline carries over to more than penalties. Personally I do not like the "simply playing football these days" behavior. Its a "look at me" display which is contrary to team play. We are entitled to our opinions.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
My comment was related to various unnecessary penalties over the course of the season. Also the lack of discipline carries over to more than penalties. Personally I do not like the "simply playing football these days" behavior. Its a "look at me" display which is contrary to team play. We are entitled to our opinions.
Not arguing about your opinion just making the point that every team has players who jaw back and forth. It’s not about discipline it’s current sports culture

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Not arguing about your opinion just making the point that every team has players who jaw back and forth. It’s not about discipline it’s current sports culture
Every team has always had players jaw back and forth. It’s just more apparent now because there’s so many games on TV and there’s so many camera angles. Go back and watch the NFL films videos from the 70s and 80s. It’s always been there, but there weren’t 30 different cameras available to every broadcast that catches every bit of extra curricular activity that goes on.

slugboy

Staff member
Final stats and Participation Report (link to original)

Offensive Starters:
QB 10 Jeff Sims
RB 21 Jahmyr Gibbs

WR 1J Jalen Camp
WR 18 Peje Harris
WR 15 Malachi Carter
TE 83 Dylan Deveney

LT 73 Zach Quinney
LG 78 Jack DeFoor
RG 70 Ryan Johnson
RT 72 Charlie Clark
C 57 Mikey Minihan

Defensive Starters:
DE 1X Chico Bennett Jr
DE 9 Antonneous Clayton
DT 0 Djimon Brooks
DT 92 JaQuon Griffin

LB 6 David Curry
LB 44 Quez Jackson

S 1 Juanyeh Thomas
S 2 Tariq Carpenter
CB 3 Tre Swilling
CB 2D Zamari Walton
NICK 2K Kaleb Oliver

Others listed as participating (sic - spelled as in the report):
1G-Tucker Gleason, 1W-Derrik Allen, 1S-Adonicas Sanders, 2B-Jordan Mason, 2H-Jalen Huff, 3D-Kyle Kennard, 4D-Taylor McCawley, 4A-Jaytlin Askew, 4K-Gavin Stewart, 5-Jerry Howard Jr., 5S-Cade Long, 8B-Nate McCollum, 8-Tobias Oliver, 11-Marquez Ezzard, 13-Avery Showell, 14-Jaylon King, 16-Myles Sims, 20-Miles Brooks, 24-Kenan Johnson, 25-Charlie Thomas, 26-Josh Blancato, 28-Dontae Smith, 29-Bruce Jordan-Swillin, 33-Tyson Meiguez, 34-Jack Coco, 35-Jared Ivey, 37-Khaya Wright, 39-Wesley Walker, 42-Jordan Domineck, 48-Austin Kent, 54-Jordan Williams, 55-Kenny Cooper, 80-Dylan Leonard, 81-Zach Owens, 82-Kalani Norris, 84-Chris Miller, 89-Antwan Owens, 91-Emmanuel Johnson, 94-Mike Lockhart, 97-Akelo Stone, 98-Curtis Ryans, 99-D'Quon Douse.

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
This is the sort of thing that’s stupid. Smith did not make the right call fielding that ball on the kick. If Collins truly feels that way and is coaching our players to do that then we are going to continue to make dumb mistakes for 7 years or until he gets fired.

Our coach does this crap of not trying to tear a guy apart after a mistake. Fine, but you can also just say, “look, he’s a freshman and made a mistake. We practice these things and will discuss it internally to correct.” That’s not tearing a guy apart. Instead he says this stuff and sounds like an idiot. Then it happens again and again throughout the year with player and coaching mistakes...and you start to wonder...is this guy putting on a show to protect his staff and players, or is he just stupid?

View attachment 9515
My interpretation - Dontae made the right decision fielding a KO that wasn't kicked into the end zone but made a mistake losing track of his position relative to the sideline. Not a sign of coaching stupidity or reason to fire the coach IMO.

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
Just checking to see if I was too drunk last night or if anyone agrees with me.
As for the OL I did think are run blocking was better but I also thought our pass blocking was poor. And without seeing the game again sober maybe it was only 1 or 2 lineman that kept getting beat. Just seeing what Y'all think I hate the idea of watching the game sober
I was sober during the game and would agree - Sims felt pressure much more than their QB overall.

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
Sorry to nitpick, but in what world is Curry undersized?
I'm not a fan but recognize Curry is a team leader, has a huge love of the game and had his best game of the season. His challenges over time have been due to lack of speed and ability to shed blocks. Many of his tackles are well beyond the LOS. But to emphasize the positive, he had a great game, and I hope he can finish his career strong with these final games. His dedication to the game and team are unquestioned.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I have the game taped and have only made into the 6 min of 1 qtr. When in the game did this happen?

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
My interpretation - Dontae made the right decision fielding a KO that wasn't kicked into the end zone but made a mistake losing track of his position relative to the sideline. Not a sign of coaching stupidity or reason to fire the coach IMO.
The idea of catching the ball out of bounds isn't a bad one, but the mechanics to make it work make it high risk. The ball would have to come down within a yard of the sideline to even be feasible, and the player has to get his feet properly located while looking up in the air at the falling ball.

If the returner stepped out of bounds and then stepped back in to catch the ball, would it still be ruled a kick out of bounds? I believe if a receiver steps out unforced and then comes back in to make the catch its an incompletion correct? Would the same apply here?

slugboy

Staff member
The idea of catching the ball out of bounds isn't a bad one, but the mechanics to make it work make it high risk. The ball would have to come down within a yard of the sideline to even be feasible, and the player has to get his feet properly located while looking up in the air at the falling ball.

If the returner stepped out of bounds and then stepped back in to catch the ball, would it still be ruled a kick out of bounds? I believe if a receiver steps out unforced and then comes back in to make the catch its an incompletion correct? Would the same apply here?
Possibly an “illegal touching” penalty, even though I haven’t heard of that for the receiving team. If you step out voluntarily, you’re either not supposed to come back in, or you need to come in where you came out.