#DUKEvsGT Postgame Discussion

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I think he’s saying that it’s a good play to catch the ball while already out of bounds (i.e., generate a “kick out of bounds” penalty), so that GT gets the ball at the 35. If so, I agree with CGC and it would be the opposite takeaway from what you are suggesting.
Ones interpretation depends on whether you genuinely like or dislike the Coach,

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Back to something important. How do we clean up the penalties? Mainly false starts. Or maybe...how are the coaches trying to do this? Anything they’re doing in practice to emphasize it?
Its all about discipline. The false starts, the mouthing/shoving/ball spinning/excessive showboating/early motion etc penalties are all related to lack of discipline...all on the coaches

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
Really great bounce back win for the guys. The people who are not happy with the win, are purely people who don’t like CGC, and would prefer him to not succeed here.

I was really happy we won and won convincingly at the end. I was starting to worry how our play might start affecting recruiting. I know it’s not always tied together, but I felt like a lot of energy, atmosphere, etc, the coaches have been selling in recruiting was starting to fade a little because we were performing so poorly on the field lately. So I felt like we needed a good showing coming back from this long delay.

I have griped on curry a lot, mostly due to his poor angles on tackles, filling the wrong holes on run plays, blitzing straight into a DLineman or the back of one of our DL, etc. But he played a good game tonight and made several plays. And no he is not undersized, he is just slow.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Its all about discipline. The false starts, the mouthing/shoving/ball spinning/excessive showboating/early motion etc penalties are all related to lack of discipline...all on the coaches
Wait, we had 1 celebration penalty and personal foul for retaliation which shouldn’t happen but I can understand it. Sure it would be better not to have them but you act like we are 1990 Miami or something. Mouthing and what you call showboating is simply playing football these days. Now the motion and the like we need to cut down on.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes

The returner has possession and makes a "FB Move", plus a KO is a "Free Kick" and by rule is treated differently than a Punt

A muffed punt is different due to Technical quirks in the Rulebook - A muffed punt is not a possession IIRC
Yes

The returner has possession and makes a "FB Move", plus a KO is a "Free Kick" and by rule is treated differently than a Punt

A muffed punt is different due to Technical quirks in the Rulebook - A muffed punt is not a possession IIRC
If it’s 3rd and long and the QB throws a 50 yard pass that’s intercepted with no return, is it really a turnover or just another form of a punt?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Really great bounce back win for the guys. The people who are not happy with the win, are purely people who don’t like CGC, and would prefer him to not succeed here.

I was really happy we won and won convincingly at the end. I was starting to worry how our play might start affecting recruiting. I know it’s not always tied together, but I felt like a lot of energy, atmosphere, etc, the coaches have been selling in recruiting was starting to fade a little because we were performing so poorly on the field lately. So I felt like we needed a good showing coming back from this long delay.

I have griped on curry a lot, mostly due to his poor angles on tackles, filling the wrong holes on run plays, blitzing straight into a DLineman or the back of one of our DL, etc. But he played a good game tonight and made several plays. And no he is not undersized, he is just slow.
Not one GT fan is unhappy with the win. But, if you can’t see the myriad issues we have, primarily player related, then that’s on you. I’m one of the biggest Collins supporters here and have defended him a lot after our beat downs. But I’m not also going to act like all is good with a win against one of the worst P5 teams this year. I just watched the replay. Earlier I said that Duke left 3 TD’s off the board due to their receivers not being able to catch a cold. It was probably more like 4. Just like against UCF, Syracuse, and Clemson our DB’s let receivers get behind them by multiple steps. We just got lucky because it was Duke. The Pitt QB will eat us alive if we don’t improve. Offensively, we are progressing all due to recruiting. Scheme wise I don’t see a lot going on. Gibbs gets the ball 4 yards behind the line then just goes. Sims is a talented/big/strong athlete who is hard to bring down. He reminds me of years of VT QB’s that we couldn’t tackle. If we can recruit big time linemen we’ll be in the Coastal race every year. If our line continues to get eaten up then our offense will be relegated to what we’ve seen this year which is some big plays by our studs but also no consistency. I believe in Collins but until we can see some consistency we all know what teams with above .500 records will do to us.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I just watched the replay. My thought watching the game live and after the replay was there were two sloppy teams on the field with many mental errors. Seems like after both teams had extended time between games, it was like a first game of the season for both teams. Tech was the better team because they were able to close the deal.

Turnovers still plague the offense, and way too many penalties. I wish CBK can find a motivational tactic that will help the Oline. Procedure penalties are drive killers.

One final comment on the kicking game. Not sure why Harvin did not play and suspect if I did some research I could find out, but he was missed in the game and will be missed next year. Which leads me to my comment. Need to recruit a punter and a place kicker in this next class. Please place a priority on those two positions.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

This number just seems incredibly implausible to me. That’s over 5.5 miles. This article suggests that NFL CBs run the farthest on average and they cap out around 1.2 miles, and they’re on the field for basically every defensive snap throughout a game

It also says soccer players run about 7 miles per game and get up to 9+, but they play for 90 minutes and are constantly in motion. Maybe if the units were feet and not yards it would be a little more believable. That would drop it down to 1.87 miles, which is waaayyy more plausible than 5.5. Duke had 17 offensive drives and ran 87 offensive plays. If that number is accurate that means Curry ran on average 580 yards per drive and 113 yards per play. Those numbers just don’t add up at all.

Maybe that total number includes everything from pregame warmups to halftime warmups to postgame celebration, but it still seems like a long shot.

I just watched the replay. My thought watching the game live and after the replay was there were two sloppy teams on the field with many mental errors. Seems like after both teams had extended time between games, it was like a first game of the season for both teams. Tech was the better team because they were able to close the deal.

Turnovers still plague the offense, and way too many penalties. I wish CBK can find a motivational tactic that will help the Oline. Procedure penalties are drive killers.

One final comment on the kicking game. Not sure why Harvin did not play and suspect if I did some research I could find out, but he was missed in the game and will be missed next year. Which leads me to my comment. Need to recruit a punter and a place kicker in this next class. Please place a priority on those two positions.
Although obviously not as good, the backup punter still did a decent job last night.

If we return a kickoff for a td, did we have a possession?
What?

Of course, the KO-Returner has to POSSESS THE BALL and then matriculate the ball down the field and break the GL with possession of said ball

Why the silly questions?

A muffed punt isn't a possession, a KO Return comes on a Free Kick vs a Punt which is treated differently by FB Rules

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Is “highest graded” and “best” from the coaches, or another source?
The PFF player grades all need a subscription, and I’m not THAT interested in their grades ;)
Haha, when I said “best” I was speaking more eye test, “highest graded” was PFF. But it was his highest graded game if the season. PFF definitely isn’t the gospel, but it’s the only quantitative metrics we have for individual performance other than basic box score. Also they’re the best for snap counts.

For those interested, our RBs were the three highest-graded players on Offense and Sims was 4th. Again all just PFF.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
That's a really odd statistic. 60 plays x 50 yards per play is 3,000 yards.
Just don't look into it - like CGC's press conferences, the statistics aren't for us, they are to impress high schoolers who aren't going to do the math and figure out that doesn't make sense.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

We have a punter committed that's supposed;y a really good replacement. Kid from Ireland who spent last year in Australia to refine his punting. Definitely agrgee on finding a place kicker though.