#DUKEvsGT Postgame Discussion

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Wow, I'm emotionally worn out. Exciting, frustrating - good plays followed by Bad News Bears on both sides! Grateful for the win.

The good:
1. Sims had a better game. Still made a very critical error with the interception (should have taken the sack or thrown it away), but he RAN well...this time he knew where the sticks were and made a lot of 3rd and longs for us. Great job!
2. RB - they are so fun to watch - we have a lot of great RBs!
3. PATs!!!
4. D - Curry and KOliver had big time games! Great to see a couple of sacks as well. Carpenter with the interception, some fumble recoveries, etc. We had our bad moments, but overall, nice.
5. 56 points! Offensive play calling was a little better - noticed that we have started to use the RBs to their skill level!

The bad:
1. It's Duke. You put our guys up against guys our size and closer to talent level and well, we win. Not sure we can say we turned a corner, but hope so
2. ST - oh my...continues to be a problem
3. Duke made lots of drops and mistakes that helped us.
4. The refs. Maybe I'll feel differently after I watch the replay from TV, but from live, it looked as if the replay booth refused to look at anything that i thought was close enough to at least confirm. (First 2 Duke TDs as well as the non-safety call that helped us in the long run) And, I have no idea why Collins didn't challenge the non-safety call. Again, maybe I'll feel differently after I see it on replay.
5. Pass protection. Sims was running for his life most of the night.
6. Still stupid penalties!!!!!!!

Thanks for the entertainment and the win!!!!!
it was a forward progress issue. cant challenge that

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
We WON the game last night. It was ugly and sloppy in spots, and Duke is probably the second worst team in the ACC, but we WON the game.

Some of you guys need to send CPJ a bill for the rent he's due you for living inside your heads. I loved the guy but he's retired and isn't coming back. For good or ill, we are now the CGC led Yellowjackets. Let's celebrate the wins a bit before tearing it all apart.

Deleted member 2897

We never possessed the ball to turn it over. God you don’t get it. If we had caught the kick and fumbled the next play you would be right. But we didn’t and you’re not.

You do realize he dropped the ball and Duke recovered and it’s in the books as a turnover don’t you? LOL.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
That game was two terrible teams. How many times are our DB’s going to let guys get two steps behind them. Duke left 3 TD’s out there because their receivers couldn’t catch a cold or their QB missed by a half step. That was the same defense that has gotten toasted all year. I saw little progress. What irritated me the most was Tariq’s interception and watching him tell the world and recruits that 1) we aren’t coached on ball security, and 2) the players can do whatever they want with no repurcussions. After seeing that, which will absolutely cost us at some point, if I’m a high end DB there is no way I trust our coaching staff if our senior DB doesn’t do what middle schoolers are taught.

And if anyone watched the OLine we were getting absolutely manhandled by Duke. Luckily, their LB’s and DB’s are worse than ours so our athletes made plays, but there is a reason we didn’t do this against teams with a pulse. Our left tackle ended up on his back multiple times. And the consecutive 15 yard penalties after scores is just bush league. Glad we won the game, but did we really? We have a QB they don’t trust to throw any where in the middle of the field and defensive players flexing after every tackle. I’m optimistic but until we get players on defense we are going to continue to get lit up. Pittsburgh’s QB will shred us.

Before i reply, is this a serious post?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Only at page 2 reading through this thread...

Where are the the David Curry #6 haters? Will you appear in any of the pages before this post?
Only one, and it's questionable... ( being "undersized").
So, I'll take it that he's okay with everyone now. 😁

Deleted member 2897

You do realize we didn’t start a drive,right? If you don’t start the drive it did not end.
The only team that possessed the ball was duke

Thanks for your direct message, it proves my point. That’s why it’s marked as a turnover in the box score.

Here is the main point - we had the chance to drive the ball and get points - we turned it over and forfeited that chance. You can call it a possession or a unicorn or a tree. Doesn’t matter. We lost a drive and a chance to score points.

Last edited by a moderator:

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
It’s common sense. We were receiving a kick. That means we were about to start a drive. Like any other time you turn the ball over, we lost any possible points that drive would have ended in. That’s the way turnovers work - you forfeit the drive and any possible points you would have gotten. Then the other team had a chance to score (they did in this case), and then you start another drive again. You alternate drives until time runs out, and the team with the most points wins.
Put another way, it's the same as losing your turn in a game. You list the opportunity to, in this case, score.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
It’s worth 10 because Tech averaged 3 points per possession. Which means Duke scored 7 and the loss of possession effectively took 3 points off the board for Tech.
Sounds great. Except that assumes we had one less possession in the game...which wouldn’t make sense as literally no time came off the clock since this all happened in one play. So in essence we “lost” a possession and immediately gained another one after the kick off...meaning if we average 3 points per possession then we finish the game with the exact same number of possessions.

I.e. if we had scored the mythical three points you speak of it would have taken time off the clock...maybe 5-7 min. Which would have taken away a possession later in the game...where we scored another mythical 3 points. So...the net effect is 7 points either way you look at it.

Scubapro

Banned
Why did PJ come up? Because CDP’s offense (led by a true freshman qb) just put up more points, rushing yards and total yards (save maybe 1/2 games) than PJ ever did and you said:

It’s blatantly obvious you can’t be objective.

We get it, you have some weird hatred towards him. Maybe wait until we play bad to come on here and spout your nonsense though.
We beat a really bad Duke defense....I didnt make it clear earlier...we never change the game plan....we played basically the same game against Cuse and BC and got beat. We won because we have Gibbs and the Duke line backers and safeties are bad. Once we got past their D line it was off to the races. Against any other team with decent linebackers those plays get stuffed. We didnt win because all of a sudden CDP figured out he was brilliant.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
this implies that in the great "is it the talent" or 'is it the coaching" ongoing GT Swarm debate that you are implying that it is the talent. think there may be a few guys that win consistently with lesser talent but those are much, much rarer than some? many? most? fans think.
I actually think it’s both but more coaching issues than talent but when you line up against a Clemson or Notre Dame vs a Duke, there is a clear difference in that level of talent and size. CPJ certainly proved you can do more with less!

Deleted member 2897

You do realize we didn’t start a drive,right? If you don’t start the drive it did not end.
The only team that possessed the ball was duke

Jesus Christ dude. I’ve asked you THREE TIMES to stop messaging me and harassing me - and I said please. “Then don’t open my messages.” Give me a ****ing break. I can’t believe I have to block you. This is sad.

Milwaukee

Banned
We beat a really bad Duke defense....I didnt make it clear earlier...we never change the game plan....we played basically the same game against Cuse and BC and got beat. We won because we have Gibbs and the Duke line backers and safeties are bad. Once we got past their D line it was off to the races. Against any other team with decent linebackers those plays get stuffed. We didnt win because all of a sudden CDP figured out he was brilliant.
Nm 😂

Last edited: