#DUKEvsGT Postgame Discussion

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Letting the ball bounce is putting your fate in random luck - straddling the OoB lines while catching the ball is controlling your fate and guaranteeing your Return Team will get a Penalty and the ball at the 35

Guaranteed field position at the 35 yd line vs Random luck of a bounce deep in your own Territory on a LIVE BALL - FREE KICK , this is a no-brainer

I don't understand how you can't process which alternative is better given the scenario, there's a reason that this strategy is now taught at all Levels of FB

I'm gonna step out in a limb and take a guess here - if the previous HC started using this strategy, you would poke your chest out & proudly say, "he's playing Chess while everyone else is playing Checkers"

But when CGC teaches our Players the latest methods & strategies to help us win, you cut him down at the knees (pun intended)

So even when CGC is right, in your eyes he's still wrong

What did Jeff with a G ever do to you guys?
If it were guaranteed then we would have started that drive at the 35. We started at the 4 for some reason. The truth is, asking a player to track a kickoff of relatively low trajectory going towards the sidelines, catch it and perfectly place his feet out of bounds to put the ball at the 35 isn’t the trivial task that you guys seem to think it is. Smith was still running when he caught the ball. It was nearly impossible for him to line himself up properly in that situation.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
An observation based on some of the previous posts: Duke's crowding the line would seem to explain the number of tackles for loss, the amount of pass pressure on Sims, and the many long runs. Yeah, if you put too many up close you risk having no one else to make the play if the back breaks through. But with Gibbs we have a back who has the speed to make sure he doesn't get caught. Long runs are always nice, but long runs which get to the end zone are better.

Agree with some of the positive comments about D Smith. To me, he is a close second to Gibbs as our best chance at big plays from the run game.

Count me with those who are just happy to get a win. When you are at the level we are right now, there is no sense in dwelling on who you beat.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well I’m not sure that coaching paid off very well considering something bad happened when very likely nothing bad would have happened had he just watched the ball.
I just watched the replay on ESPN Watch and I'm not sure that ball would bounce out. It was going to land in bounds.

If we return a kickoff for a td, did we have a possession?
Yes

The returner has possession and makes a "FB Move", plus a KO is a "Free Kick" and by rule is treated differently than a Punt

A muffed punt is different due to Technical quirks in the Rulebook - A muffed punt is not a possession IIRC

Wow, I'm emotionally worn out. Exciting, frustrating - good plays followed by Bad News Bears on both sides! Grateful for the win.

The good:
1. Sims had a better game. Still made a very critical error with the interception (should have taken the sack or thrown it away), but he RAN well...this time he knew where the sticks were and made a lot of 3rd and longs for us. Great job!
2. RB - they are so fun to watch - we have a lot of great RBs!
3. PATs!!!
4. D - Curry and KOliver had big time games! Great to see a couple of sacks as well. Carpenter with the interception, some fumble recoveries, etc. We had our bad moments, but overall, nice.
5. 56 points! Offensive play calling was a little better - noticed that we have started to use the RBs to their skill level!

The bad:
1. It's Duke. You put our guys up against guys our size and closer to talent level and well, we win. Not sure we can say we turned a corner, but hope so
2. ST - oh my...continues to be a problem
3. Duke made lots of drops and mistakes that helped us.
4. The refs. Maybe I'll feel differently after I watch the replay from TV, but from live, it looked as if the replay booth refused to look at anything that i thought was close enough to at least confirm. (First 2 Duke TDs as well as the non-safety call that helped us in the long run) And, I have no idea why Collins didn't challenge the non-safety call. Again, maybe I'll feel differently after I see it on replay.
5. Pass protection. Sims was running for his life most of the night.
6. Still stupid penalties!!!!!!!

Thanks for the entertainment and the win!!!!!
Sims had a better game. Still made a very critical error with the interception (should have taken the sack or thrown it away), but he RAN well...this time he knew where the sticks were and made a lot of 3rd and longs for us. Great job!
Sims has a wide open field to his left. He should have just run. Maybe he would have been spotted and tackled quickly, or maybe he would have run for 20 yards. But we would not have lost the ball. Very poor decision making on his part on that play.

slugboy

Staff member
Tariq played his best game of the season and was the highest graded player on D. I wonder if he was dinged up early on this season and the time off gave him time to recover. He looked like himself.
Is “highest graded” and “best” from the coaches, or another source?
The PFF player grades all need a subscription, and I’m not THAT interested in their grades ;)

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Is “highest graded” and “best” from the coaches, or another source?
The PFF player grades all need a subscription, and I’m not THAT interested in their grades ;)
Since I never played football above middle school level, I do not consider myself knowledgeable about the game. That said, I have seen a bunch of games in my life and paid attention. The eyeball test is my measure. Right now we are definitely improving and better recruits are coming in. Last night passes my eyeball test. I paint myself optimistic.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Was at the game. Fans really got into it when the refs didn't award us the safety.

Overall, outside of a couple of really dumb plays I was more than fine with how we played. D held up in the second half, offense capitalized on turnovers and were still able to produce with Gibbs out. Happy to get the W.

Game management is still an adventure. Should have taken the 5 point lead to halftime. When we were up 16 I would like to have us build some depth with the backups at QB. Sims had a great game but took at lot of hits. No need for him to be in the game late. Got to love the team effort. You just have to work your way through the dumb or dumber ST plays and coaching.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
If it were guaranteed then we would have started that drive at the 35. We started at the 4 for some reason. The truth is, asking a player to track a kickoff of relatively low trajectory going towards the sidelines, catch it and perfectly place his feet out of bounds to put the ball at the 35 isn’t the trivial task that you guys seem to think it is. Smith was still running when he caught the ball. It was nearly impossible for him to line himself up properly in that situation.
Curious but what is your experience to determine how hard it is? I mean, he obviously screwed it up but if it was really that hard why would coaches teach it.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Curious but what is your experience to determine how hard it is? I mean, he obviously screwed it up but if it was really that hard why would coaches teach it.
I’m not sure they actually teach it for that situation. If it is a hard kickoff that you have to catch in stride going towards the sideline then it doesn’t make much sense that you should also be setting your feet perfectly out of bounds when you make contact with the ball. Depending on the speed and flight of the ball it may not even be possible.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
The Law Firm of Mason, Smith, & Griffin will serve us well at RB in Gibbs' absence, I hope Griffin will be back soon, but Mason & Smith should be OK

Things happen fast at some positions, we go from 4 guys that can Start to 2 Guys and hoping for no more injuries

Howard is back at RB so were are still quality 3 deep at RB and BSwilling is also available.