Duke postgame

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Same story as the two losses, lots of self-inflicted pain points.

But at least we learned the answer to the question “can this team beat Duke without being perfect” and covered too.

Also that end of half sequence giving Duke that first tD was a joke all around and if not for that it’s probably never close.
To me the busted DEF in 2nd half on the WIDE-open 65 yd pass play was a lot more ridiculous.At end of half ,we got called but at least it was understandable.Brooks lucked out on a pass def later that wasn't called.

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
Their PI call was a make up call, IMO. The PI on us that set up their first TD was garbage and they knew it. However, our most egregious PI wasn’t called. That said, our DBs have got to be taught to turn on the ball or we’ll see more of that. D played bend don’t break and did it well. Part of it was Murphy missing throws. Still, DL made a lot of tackles tonight. That’s a good thing.
Our most egregious PI wasn’t so egregious until you watched it in slow motion. In real time, it was a tough call.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
To me the busted DEF in 2nd half on the WIDE-open 65 yd pass play was a lot more ridiculous.At end of half ,we got called but at least it was understandable.Brooks lucked out on a pass def later that wasn't called.
We have to work on timing up that blitz better. Was just awful.

slugboy

Staff member
Brady Stockton had 16% of yards on 4% of receptions.

The qb , rb, wr were perfect WITH ZERO INT OR FUMBLES.

Imo, on our remaining schedule the dink and dunk offense will not keep us close in big games. We will punt a lot more.

Actually, on one called deep pass, Duke got wide open rush on delayed lb blitz. Gt in max (7) protect with TE helping the Left Tackle.

Duke has had weakvfirstchalf schedule. They will lose several more acc games. They play FSU, Vt, SMU, and and Mia iirc.
I think you mean Bailey Stockton, who had one catch for 18 yards.

Some off our passes were to check downs.

I'm wouldn't be surprised to see Duke win four more games, and three seems pretty likely.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Just watched CBK in the postgame with the Huddle. They love him and he loves them. His daughter made bracelets for them all. CBK shows you his humanity, not just the coach thing. He reminds me of a young Dabo (I know some of you won’t like that).

He said they reevaluated after the Louisville game and felt they had been playing too much in the “phone booth,” and they needed to spread it around more. I think that’s what they did. Having a healthy JH and Chad were huge.

My top play: Rutherford’s slobberknocker on the Dook defender springing Singleton 5 more yards. MR flat out trucked that dude!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Gotta see some data for that...for every one time MR breaks for 50 there are about 10 where we lose 3-5 yards and get saddled with third and long
That was certainly my perception last night. iirc we called 3 in a row on one drive which netted about -4 yards (and a punt…killed the drive entirely)

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
The Good:
  • We moved the ball well against a good defense ranked 28th in DFEI coming into the game.
  • Our run game was “back”. Amazing what a difference a healthy Jamal Haynes makes.
  • Good to see Chad Alexander back. He spelled Jamal a bit and had some decent runs (10/59).
  • Jordan van den Burg was a beast on defense. 2 TFLs and a sack.
  • Our defense shut down Duke’s run game, limiting them to only 74 yards.
  • Haynes King had a good game – 77.2 QBR and 74% completion rate.
  • Zack Pyron was money all three times he came in for our short-yardage “must-have” plays.
  • On our last non-garbage-time drive, we succeeded in getting first downs and chewing up clock, despite Duke knowing we would run the ball.
  • We won by two scores and beat the spread.
The Not-So-Good:
  • Untimely penalties extended Duke’s drives and hampered ours.
  • We allowed a 67-yard kickoff return. Fortunately, a PI penalty on Duke stalled what was looking like a touchdown drive.
  • A failed blitz allowed a 65-yard touchdown.
  • Despite his contributions in our run game, Alexander had a false start and another incident when it appeared that King was trying to pull the handoff but Chad wouldn’t let him. This play resulted in no gain.
  • We were not efficient on 3rd down.
The Not-So-Good with mitigating circumstances:
  • We had a couple of 3-and-outs during our mid-game “sluggish” period. However, these started with us pinned deep near our goal line, which limits play-calling.
  • We let Duke come back and take the lead late in the 3rd, but then imposed our will and scored two unanswered touchdowns.
Overall, the Good outweighed the Not-So-Good, which is what you need to win games.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
^ Agree 100%. we haven't had such a disruptive force in the interior since Gotsis left. I thought Zeek was going to be such a player. seeing a DT chase down a screen pass? outside toss sweep? (can't remember) was a highlight of the game for me.

Agree with this except the Zeek semi-slander. Iiuc, he's doing his job (occupying blockers) which allows others to shine.

On another note, can anyone conform that Desmond Howard picked Duke to beat us on gameday?

And also, many on the dookies board seem to think the refs 'gave' us this one. Haha

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Glad to see Jamal have a good game, and also Chad as well. Chad is a more punishing runner and seems to be stronger than Jamal. We need both these guys to be healthy, Jamal is not an every down back and needs some extended breaks. Synergism is a great thing.
I sometimes get frustrated watching our defense but at the end of the game I am very much happy with their end results. With last year's D, this season would be a disaster.
Van de Berg's play was outstanding, guessing he will grade out in the 80's or very near.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Agree with this except the Zeek semi-slander. Iiuc, he's doing his job (occupying blockers) which allows others to shine.

On another note, can anyone conform that Desmond Howard picked Duke to beat us on gameday?

And also, many on the dookies board seem to think the refs 'gave' us this one. Haha
According to Dookies they’ve never lost a game yet. They also still believe that Jarret Jack’s nads charged JJ Reddick. They are delusional, and were quite lucky to even be that close. We pretty well dominated that game except for a few scattered gifts our DB gave them.

Last edited:

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
Glad to see Jamal have a good game, and also Chad as well. Chad is a more punishing runner and seems to be stronger than Jamal. We need both these guys to be healthy, Jamal is not an every down back and needs some extended breaks. Synergism is a great thing.
I sometimes get frustrated watching our defense but at the end of the game I am very much happy with their end results. With last year's D, this season would be a disaster.
Van de Berg's play was outstanding, guessing he will grade out in the 80's or very near.
I disagree with the bolded part. Jamal has a high ankle sprain that affects his power. Jamal was carrying the pile earlier in the season. Jamal is absolutely an every down back.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I disagree with the bolded part. Jamal has a high ankle sprain that affects his power. Jamal was carrying the pile earlier in the season. Jamal is absolutely an every down back.
I think Chad has the inside-out one cut ability to get the edge that Dontae had. This has been missing. Jamaal is a banger, no doubt, and when he gets leverage can power for extra yards. Often, though, he goes down pretty easy. Chad is a pads low RB who plants and cuts hard and gets there a step faster than you think. JH will have more highlight reel plays due to his quickness and speed. Chad will also move the chains, though. IMPO, very Dontae-esque. They compliment one another well.

57jacket

Helluva Engineer
I love Haynes King, but he does have a problem going through his progressions and finding the open guy. And he throws into coverage at times. I think that's why Buster's play calling has predetermined passing targets, uses wide screens, no passes over the middle, etc. Just my opinion. Again, I love this young man, and he has been great for our program. Duke took away his runs up the middle on the option, but he / the team, found a way to win. 2 more wins please. Just want a bowl game and a good recruiting class. DL please (NIL Here)