Duke postgame

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Good game, good win :

We showed improvement on both sides LOS
Glad to see Jamal get his yards
I still think Haynes King is not 100%, mostly just from body language
I think we still need to correct some mental mistakes, ie, our LB missing the gap on Dukes long TD run
Don't agree with Duke being a bad team, their defense has talent and for some reason I like Manny Dias

We missed the game, sorry to our seatmates. We told our oldest daughter and grandson to pick a game (with some exceptions) they picked Duke. We won't miss another including the bowl game, really wish ND was at Bobby Dodd ...

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
I think Chad has the inside-out one cut ability to get the edge that Dontae had. This has been missing. Jamaal is a banger, no doubt, and when he gets leverage can power for extra yards. Often, though, he goes down pretty easy. Chad is a pads low RB who plants and cuts hard and gets there a step faster than you think. JH will have more highlight reel plays due to his quickness and speed. Chad will also move the chains, though. IMPO, very Dontae-esque. They compliment one another well.
Chad’s pretty damn fast, as well. I think he and Jamal are cut from the same bolt of cloth. Carrie is more of a pure power runner with good speed. Maddox is a smash mouth runner. Just my observations.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Too much in my view but he is the play caller.
It is appearing to me that for us to have our best chance to win we have to be playing a team that we can wear down by running them sideline to sideline and then we are able to win the game second half and if it gets outside of that we are in trouble or we just don't know what else to do or we don't have the plays to do anything else effectively. I started the season thinking 8 regular season wins then dropped it to 7 and now I'm thinking 6 maybe 7.
We don't have the type players yet to do what I think CBK wants to do or at least not enough of 'em.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
What do you guess was the attendance?
It was announced as 37k. Upper north looked really good, whatever promotions they’ve been running up there have been getting people in the door. Upper East is still a sad state of affairs (still a great place to watch a game though). Couldn’t see how the Upper West looked. Both student sections were full (south was a little barren in the southwest corner).

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
It felt like Duke did a good job giving us bad field position, affecting our play calling and keeping us in a hole. But we pushed through with the iirc 85 yard drive that was huge.
I assume the PI call was nonsense, correct? I was at the game but will watch replay, would like to see that and a couple others more closely. That PI call basically handed Duke a TD and kept the game close.
Duke looked to me like a pretty well coached and credible team that just didn’t quite have our speed and talent.
The home/west side of stadium, where we were, was packed, north end pretty full, east not so much, but good energy.
I like our little rivalry with Duke, nice to have one where we can enjoy some success but not a cakewalk.

gtee91

Jolly Good Fellow
It was announced as 37k. Upper north looked really good, whatever promotions they’ve been running up there have been getting people in the door. Upper East is still a sad state of affairs (still a great place to watch a game though). Couldn’t see how the Upper West looked. Both student sections were full (south was a little barren in the southwest corner).
Upper west was not much better than upper east

stech81

Helluva Engineer
We won that is one of the two things you want the other is no one getting injured.
Reading chat is getting to be a joke people some on here must be the kind of people you hope don’t show up at a party. They are so negative and always looking for fault to complain about .
First this is college football ( now not 20 years ago) . Things are not the same with the portal and NIL. Right now I would say there are NO great teams that are guaranteed a win every week. There are a few very good teams but they will lose 1 or 2 games this year. Than there are some so called good teams that will lose 3 maybe 4 games . A bunch of average teams that will lose 4 to 6 games. Look at the scores this year and you will see any of these teams ranked average to very good can beat any team and lose any game. Alabama beat uga and than loses to Vanderbilt. Look at the ACC yesterday and see how many home teams lost. Preseason rankings are a joke there should not be a poll till Oct . I think we are an average team that can be a good team by the end of the year, this year is no team that remains on our schedule they we can’t beat or lose to this year.
We are a lot better than the last head coach had us.
Right now I’m proud of our team and our coaching staff and overjoyed with our AD president of Tech.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Timing was fine. Either Efford wasn't supposed to rush, or Tatum failed to cover the TE, and I think it was the latter.
Ha! Go back and look at it. You can’t be that far from the line of scrimmage on a blitz when the ball is snapped and expect to get home.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Timing was fine. Either Efford wasn't supposed to rush, or Tatum failed to cover the TE, and I think it was the latter.
You must be thinking that I’m referring to timing as in what point in the game they called a blitz. I’m not. By timing, I'm talking about our players trying to blitz from 10/12 yards back and not even being close to the line of scrimmage at the time that ball is snapped.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Good to get the win and cover the spread. It felt like the coaches have been reading GT Swarm for tips - secondary played much tighter coverage and was actually trying to intercept the ball for once, and we went under center on offense (and it worked as we all predicted). Defense deserves a ton of credit for this win, they looked much improved and outside of a stretch from about halfway through the 3rd quarter into the 4th they had Duke pretty much shut down.

It was good to see Jamal and Chad back and running like we know they can.

I thought King had a pretty bad game by his standards (which are thankfully pretty high). No egregious mistakes, but he sailed a number of passes way over the heads of receivers and struggled running the ball. 1 yard from still having no sacks on the season, so close!

idk what the east stands looked like since i was sitting there, but lower west, lower north and south looked nearly completely full, upper west maybe 50% and upper north 75% full. surprised attendance was only 37k, it felt like there were more people there than that although i saw almost no duke fans before or during the game - i tried counting the number of people in Duke blue in lower west at one point, I think it was less than 20.

now it's time to send TFG back to FCS.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Good to get the win and cover the spread. It felt like the coaches have been reading GT Swarm for tips - secondary played much tighter coverage and was actually trying to intercept the ball for once, and we went under center on offense (and it worked as we all predicted). Defense deserves a ton of credit for this win, they looked much improved and outside of a stretch from about halfway through the 3rd quarter into the 4th they had Duke pretty much shut down.

It was good to see Jamal and Chad back and running like we know they can.

I thought King had a pretty bad game by his standards (which are thankfully pretty high). No egregious mistakes, but he sailed a number of passes way over the heads of receivers and struggled running the ball. 1 yard from still having no sacks on the season, so close!

idk what the east stands looked like since i was sitting there, but lower west, lower north and south looked nearly completely full, upper west maybe 50% and upper north 75% full. surprised attendance was only 37k, it felt like there were more people there than that although i saw almost no duke fans before or during the game - i tried counting the number of people in Duke blue in lower west at one point, I think it was less than 20.

now it's time to send TFG back to FCS.
Duke FB doesn't travel well. BB yes. They can't get very many to home FB games. UNC and NCSU will bring several thousand to their games at Duke. Duke grads are like a lot of Tech grads. They take jobs all over the country. Even those in ATL aren't that motivated by FB. Wake is similar with even fewer grads. You don't see a bunch of Duke or Wake RV's at their away games. The ACC in general with a few exceptions doesn't bring a lot of fans to away games.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Aye, somebody explain that PI call that negated our superb INT in the 1st half?

There was certainly contact but it was coming from both sides. The Duke WR just got big-boi'd.

Refs in big games will never bail the wr out like that.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
There was plenty of good and plenty of bad during the game. But for me it as a brief escape of the past week. Trying to keep the family in good spirits after being without utilities for so long has not been fun. I drove to a nearby town with cell service and watched on my phone, for a few hours yesterday I got to scream at my phone and cheer at my phone. Great job Jackets

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

There was certainly contact but it was coming from both sides. The Duke WR just got big-boi'd.

Rules are now favoring offenses. Lots of holding is not called. Rules were supposed to allow more physical contact In the secondary but calls still favor the receiver. Can't really tackle the QB with big hits either. We got a favorable call to keep a drive alive on a hit to HK which probably would not have been called 10 years ago.

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
During the Duke Game, The Rice family was presented the ring recognizing Coach Homer Rice's posthumous induction into the National Football Foundation Leadership award. A commemoration dinner was held Friday evening at the Georgia Tech Hotel conference center.
1728226746738.jpeg

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

The only contact I saw looked like typical handfighting that doesn't get called from both sides before the ball was in the area. DB turned his head around, located the ball and pulled away from the WR to make the interception, but nothing he did interfered with the WR trying to make the catch.

It felt like there were a few suspect calls like this, but then it felt like the refs would make a similar call back the other way to balance it.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I think Chad has the inside-out one cut ability to get the edge that Dontae had. This has been missing. Jamaal is a banger, no doubt, and when he gets leverage can power for extra yards. Often, though, he goes down pretty easy. Chad is a pads low RB who plants and cuts hard and gets there a step faster than you think. JH will have more highlight reel plays due to his quickness and speed. Chad will also move the chains, though. IMPO, very Dontae-esque. They compliment one another well.
Yes, Chad reminded me of Dontae last night as well. And will get better with more playing time.