Duke postgame

Thwg777

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m delighted to be wrong about the outcome. It wasn’t pretty but a win is a win.

We won’t have another home game at BDS for another five weeks. Time to buckle down in these next three games. I’m looking forward to homecoming off a bye against Miami. But three critical games first.

We’re favored by 3.5 against the holes. I’m guessing we’ll be around +8 against ND and a pickem against VPI.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Rules are now favoring offenses. Lots of holding is not called. Rules were supposed to allow more physical contact In the secondary but calls still favor the receiver. Can't really tackle the QB with big hits either. We got a favorable call to keep a drive alive on a hit to HK which probably would not have been called 10 years ago.

The roughing call was pretty textbook, based on the new emphasis on protecting the qb and disallowing helmet2helmet contact. Jmho

I'm sure it looked weak(sic) from the Duke perspective but the players know that's how it's called now.

The only contact I saw looked like typical handfighting that doesn't get called from both sides before the ball was in the area. DB turned his head around, located the ball and pulled away from the WR to make the interception, but nothing he did interfered with the WR trying to make the catch.

It felt like there were a few suspect calls like this, but then it felt like the refs would make a similar call back the other way to balance it.

Oh I have no doubt they gave us a makeup call after the questionable PI call.

majorQ9

Jolly Good Fellow
It was announced as 37k. Upper north looked really good, whatever promotions they’ve been running up there have been getting people in the door. Upper East is still a sad state of affairs (still a great place to watch a game though). Couldn’t see how the Upper West looked. Both student sections were full (south was a little barren in the southwest corner).
Are Upper East Tickets way overpriced? The sightlines are really good for those seats and it's strange to see them so empty

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I rewatched the game this morning. The first PI against us on the first drive was weak. Both players had their hands on each other. Our defender was trying to turn towards the ball but the receiver was holding him and preventing him from turning. If there was interference, it was offensive. It should have been a no call.

If the first one was weak, the second was criminal. They called it on Harvey who was on the other side of the field, so that call was clearly wrong. There was no contact when the ball was in the air that was close to OPI. Just a completely bogus call and gift to Duke.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
During the Duke Game, The Rice family was presented the ring recognizing Coach Homer Rice's posthumous induction into the National Football Foundation Leadership award. A commemoration dinner was held Friday evening at the Georgia Tech Hotel conference center.
View attachment 16941
I loved this moment and stood up to cheer. Such a great honor and well deserved.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
I rewatched the game this morning. The first PI against us on the first drive was weak. Both players had their hands on each other. Our defender was trying to turn towards the ball but the receiver was holding him and preventing him from turning. If there was interference, it was offensive. It should have been a no call.

If the first one was weak, the second was criminal. They called it on Harvey who was on the other side of the field, so that call was clearly wrong. There was no contact when the ball was in the air that was close to OPI. Just a completely bogus call and gift to Duke.
I agree with the first PI call cause they were both doing the typical hand fighting and the Duke player grabbed our defender when he tried to turn to track the ball and then that pulled both down. However, 90% of the time that is going to get called on the defense just because of how it looks live to the ref.

On the second PI call, I didn't see anything either and neither did the announcers. Later on the broadcast the rules expert clarified the PI was not at the end of the route so it may not have been caught on camera.

On another note, I feel like many people (not necessarily you @leatherneckjacket ), are saying that the offensive PI on Duke was a make up call. It was 100% OPI and not a make up call. He shoved the DB with a fully extended arm to throw the DB off and that is the only reason he was able to get the separation. When the ref sees that separation with a fully extended arm it will get called every time.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Aye, somebody explain that PI call that negated our superb INT in the 1st half?

There was certainly contact but it was coming from both sides. The Duke WR just got big-boi'd.

Refs in big games will never bail the wr out like that.
Wes and Luganbill were confused as well on the TV broadcast, they said the Penalty was called on #3, who was on the other side of the field ??

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I've not read through all of this yet, and I posted the photo below in the Billy Shaw thread that many may not look at.
I thought it was a class move by CBK to reference Billy Shaw on his hat last night.
1000006469.jpg

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Chad’s pretty damn fast, as well. I think he and Jamal are cut from the same bolt of cloth. Carrie is more of a pure power runner with good speed. Maddox is a smash mouth runner. Just my observations.
Yes, they are both bigger backs, and will be even better banging in short yardage situations. Chad just reminds me of DS the way he starts off tackle but plants and slides out so easily to the edge.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
The early season day games can be absolutely brutal in the upper East. We are lucky to have some night games this year.
I credit Batt for this as well. Even the lesser games have been later starts. GSU and Dook were both 8PM starts, and VMI was a 3:30 start. ACCN seems to like ATL at night.