Duke postgame

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
1728185953308.png

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
So….bottom line, we aren’t as bad as we feared. We look healthier after the bye, which many of us predicted. Duke has been a solid team this year but they cracked under the pressure tonight against a Tech team that kept coming after them.

It will be interesting to see if Duke recovers from a disappointing loss. Tech exposed some issues that other teams may be able to exploit.

Tech, on the other hand, looks like they might be starting to recover their timing on offense, and the defense was playing fast and aggressive again. If Tech continues this trend we might be back in business.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
We’re playing an odd style of game this year. Almost like we’re trying to not have many possessions. Maybe it’s a lack of trust in the defense to get stops consistently, not sure, but we need the offense to score more for sure. Felt like the defense played a solid game against a bad offense. Hopefully we can fill up the scoreboard next week.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
So….bottom line, we aren’t as bad as we feared. We look healthier after the bye, which many of us predicted. Duke has been a solid team this year but they cracked under the pressure tonight against a Tech team that kept coming after them.

It will be interesting to see if Duke recovers from a disappointing loss. Tech exposed some issues that other teams may be able to exploit.

Tech, on the other hand, looks like they might be starting to recover their timing on offense, and the defense was playing fast and aggressive again. If Tech continues this trend we might be back in business.
Just win next week. One game at a time.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Say what you want, but bottom line is…we’re 4-2 and just beat an undefeated conference foe. We out gained them 415-279 and had 245 rushing yards. Their two scoring drives, the first one had some help from the refs (twice), and the other was a busted play that went to the house. Other than that, they really didn’t do a whole lot. Malik Murphy is not that good. On a day where there were a ton of upsets, we were not one of them.

Did Zeek play? I never saw him. I guess Cooley and Horace still aren’t a go. I dunno about y’all, but I saw Leary on the sideline in a polo.

We win. Be happy.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Our run D was strong (held them to 77) and our pass D was a lot better than it has been, so positive on the defensive side. Can we talk about Jordan van den Berg? 2 TFL and running down a RB on a screen. He looked mad.

Understand the unease about the offense, but we ran for 250 and King completed 75%+ again. Not dynamic, but still solid. Need to be better on third down, really. We had 40:00 TOP, which is kind of crazy.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Nah… gonna disagree. We all know how momentum works in college football.
I’m going with a solid win against an undefeated team.
If I’m not mistaken, a lot of folks here were arguing how good duke was (and how their schedule was as strong as ours, if not stronger)
Let’s not poo poo now.
But yeah.. Great to see Jamal healthy
There is a reason that Duke didn't receive any votes in the AP poll even though they were undefeated. There is a reason we were 9.5 point favorites. Ill leave it at that. On a day where Bama and Tenn went down though, im glad we dodged an ugly upset.

slugboy

Staff member
Some big plays. In particular, a pass interference allowing Duke to score their first TD, Star Thomas tripping and failing to pick up a 4th down conversion, Tatum playing zone on a blitz instead of man, and giving up a huge TD, and Haynes making the catch for a TD that he missed earlier.

Pyron had a great game. I loved his under center sneak. He's money.

Most Important Plays [show/hide]

As determined by absolute WPA.
TimeOffensePlay DescriptionEPAWP%WPA
Q4 4:38Duke(2nd & 7 at GT 29) Star Thomas run for 3 yds to the GT 26 - DUKE 14, GT 24-0.1755.7%-45.6%
Q3 2:53Duke(1st & 10 at DUKE 35) Maalik Murphy pass complete to Sahmir Hagans for 65 yds for a TD (Todd Pelino KICK) - DUKE 14, GT 105.3244.9%24.8%
Q3 4:40Duke(4th & 1 at GT 9) Star Thomas run for a loss of 1 yard to the GT 10 - DUKE 7, GT 10-4.3156.6%-18.6%
Q4 6:36GT(2nd & 8 at DUKE 9) Haynes King pass complete to Eric Singleton Jr. for 9 yds for a TD (Aidan Birr KICK) - DUKE 14, GT 242.5181.1%12.6%
Q4 6:28GT(3rd & 5 at DUKE 48) (06:28) KING, Haynes pass short to the left incomplete intended for RUTHERFORD, Malik thrown to the DUKE45. PENALTY DUKE Roughing the Passer on STONE, DaShawn enforced 15 yards from the DUKE48 to the DUKE33 and results in automatic 1ST DOWN [NHSG]. NO PLAY (replay the down). - DUKE 14, GT 171.7395.6%-11.4%
Q4 14:20GT(4th & 3 at DUKE 38) Haynes King pass complete to Malik Rutherford for 7 yds to the DUKE 31 for a 1ST down - DUKE 14, GT 103.4333.1%11.2%
Q4 10:40GT(3rd & Goal at DUKE 3) Haynes King pass complete to Jamal Haynes for 3 yds for a TD (Aidan Birr KICK) - DUKE 14, GT 172.2450.7%11.1%
Q3 15:00Duke(Kickoff at GT 35) Aidan Birr kickoff for 64 yds , Peyton Jones return for 67 yds to the GT 32 - DUKE 7, GT 103.2246.0%9.1%
Q2 0:46Duke(3rd & 6 at GT 35) Georgia Tech Penalty, Defensive Pass Interference (Syeed Gibbs) to the GT 20 for a 1ST down - DUKE 0, GT 101.3832.8%9.0%
Q3 13:15Duke(4th & 3 at GT 25) (13:15) MURPHY, Maalik pass deep to the right complete for 21 yards to MOORE, Jordan caught at the GT4 and advanced to the GT4, End of Play. PENALTY DUKE Pass Interference on MOORE, Jordan enforced 15 yards to the GT40 [NHSG]. NO PLAY (replay the down). - DUKE 7, GT 10-2.1049.5%-7.3%

slugboy

Staff member
Say what you want, but bottom line is…we’re 4-2 and just beat an undefeated conference foe. We out gained them 415-279 and had 245 rushing yards. Their two scoring drives, the first one had some help from the refs (twice), and the other was a busted play that went to the house. Other than that, they really didn’t do a whole lot. Malik Murphy is not that good. On a day where there were a ton of upsets, we were not one of them.

Did Zeek play? I never saw him. I guess Cooley and Horace still aren’t a go. I dunno about y’all, but I saw Leary on the sideline in a polo.

We win. Be happy.
Yes, Biggers played.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The win is nice. But none of us really know what we are. We’ve lost to the 2 best teams we’ve played. And we went about 2 hours between touchdowns tonight. Gonna be interesting to see how the next 6 games finish out. UNC will put up a lot of points so it’s another Louisville scenario where we’ll have to outscore them.

apatriot1776

Ramblin' Wreck
REALLY really nice to watch BDS light up and on three straight drives 1) chew up 7 minutes on 14 plays for a go-ahead TD, 2) the defense put the clamps on to get the 3-and-out, and 3) the offense to respond with the TD to go up 2 scores. Sloppy night overall but hopefully that is a turn-the-corner moment on the season.