Duke Postgame: GT loses 41-23

slugboy

Staff member
A side thought...when we hired CPJ, Cutcliffe wanted the Tech job. We didn’t even interview him.
The Johnson-Cutcliffe feud had been discussed plenty . Beyond that, I think Cutcliffe holds a grudge against the school that didn’t give him the time of day a little over a decade ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
A side thought...when we hired CPJ, Cutcliffe wanted the Tech job. We didn’t even interview him.
The Johnson-Cutcliffe feud had been discussed plenty . Beyond that, I think Cutcliffe holds a grudge against the school that didn’t give him the time of day a little over a decade ago.

I'm thankful we didn't. I despise that whining hypocrite.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
AND, that is mostly what I am disappointed by - good coaches figure out a way to field a competitive team, even if it means running stuff they don't want to run later. If this is all about recruiting, and I guess that is what it is about, I seriously doubt the product being shown now can tempt great players. Maybe, they will be sold by the hype and vision, but I have my doubts - I work with young people a lot, and generally, they are not about what they cannot tangibly see.

The only rational excuse is that he is showing what he would like to run in hopes that the scheme and plays themselves attract top tier talent. Like a baker putting the cakes in the window, you may not like German Chocolate but you know he can make the cakes. Meaning you may have never considered Tech but if you see they need a tackle in a RPO you might look at them.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Except for the end of the first half, I thought the team did not quit. But that first half did scare me, I thought I detected quit. Even though Duke took their foot off the gas during the second half, our guys played much better. Just wondering out loud, maybe our offense would get a better grip of their plays if they used a huddle. We're not running a hurry up offense. I think we are helping the defense by standing in front of them waiting for the play from the sidelines.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
Honest question - did they take their foot off the gas? Didn't they have their starters in all the way to the end?

Except for the end of the first half, I thought the team did not quit. But that first half did scare me, I thought I detected quit. Even though Duke took their foot off the gas during the second half, our guys played much better. Just wondering out loud, maybe our offense would get a better grip of their plays if they used a huddle. We're not running a hurry up offense. I think we are helping the defense by standing in front of them waiting for the play from the sidelines.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
or this year
It was Duke Homecoming too. Pathetic crowd. The entire east section was maybe 10% full and about the same in the horseshoe. He can only recruit on the education status and his coaching. I don't see any more upside than where they are now. It was interesting to see and hear Spurrier talk. His grandson is on the Duke team. Probably a walk.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
Lets be honest It takes some pretty bad coaching to take a bowl team and turn around and lose to an 0-2 FCS program. The only conclusion from this season thus far is that the coaching staff, and especially coach Collins, are not yet up to this job. They may grow into it. This is what worried me from day one about Coach Collins and all the social media hype. He’s had two seasons as a HC and let’s be honest, there isn’t much track record there (it’s Temple!) so the hyperbole always felt forced and compensating for a lack of substance. Now he has to turn it down, get to basics and try to build credibility. I’m not optimistic. The sales pitch was the hype would lead to better talent, but who’s hyped to come hear now, and what if we win 0-1 more from here on?

Final thoughts... you wanna change the culture? JUST WIN BABY! That being said what I am watching is awful coaching performance week in and week out. No one expected GT to be that good ( 3-4 wins) But the Jackets aren't getting any better. Each time GT seems to move forward in one area it regresses in another.
And to think there are very smart people on this board who cannot see this is even worse. We were a bowl team last year. Now, there are high school teams that we cannot beat. And there are a litany of people in fandom that think this is a recruiting problem. Delusion at its finest.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
Ok, so he continues with monumental transformation. We won 7 games last year, 5 the year before and 9 before that. What the hell is the transformation....to be 1-11? Sure we are changing the offense but to what. It was said earlier in a post that in 2021 he need to win 10 games....well based on this monumental transformation....he better. And I will tell you now....he will not. I credit him for his enthusiasm.....but he does not understand that we are more like Navy than Alabama. And for all you that think otherwise....I have 50 years of Tech football.....do you?
I have about 39 years of Tech Football and I agree. I have watched this movie and all of it’s remakes before and I know how it ends.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
This team is one fumble on the goal line by a really bad USF team from being winless this year. I just don't see another win this year with our OL and DL play so far. JG should improve and we are geting a lot of players on the field. It appears that GC is writing off this year for the future. He doesn't need to worry about this year with a 7 year contract. I do have some questions about some of his staff and whether he will make changes when needed.

Ga tech

Georgia Tech Fan
You mean good scrimmage in garbage time. Duke had us 38-3 just before the half. They relaxed after that and tried to get out without any injuries. No moral victories with this debacle. Every game looks more and more like B*** L**** 2.0.

This statement is so right on. Our opponents are putting their 2nd and 3rd sting players in during the 3rd and 4th quarters. So many fans are getting a false sense of some sort of improvement. The final scores would be really bad in almost every game this year absent such occurring.

LOL and in 1987 Spurrier wanted the Tech job as he was an assistant here before. We hired Ross instead. And the funny thing is Spurrier won the ACC with Duke and left after 1989. Ross won the NC and left after 1991.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
So the best explanation for this decision that anyone has presented is that it doesn't really matter either way? I reckon that's probably the mindset of our head coach and why this decision was further validation that he is in over his head on game days. Sorry, but the chances of Graham getting hurt against UVA and requiring Yates to play out the season are not microscopic.

And if they decide to play LJ in one of those games instead of Yates, it puts the team at a competitive disadvantage they wouldn't have faced if today's decision was actually thought through.
Does anyone know if Oliver is still taking snaps as QB. There’s a high probability that if Graham gets hurt with more than 3 games left, Oliver will take back over.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
2) I want to give this staff time and the benefit of the doubt, but there was no, none, nada energy on the Tech sideline the entire game. We looked poorly prepared/poorly coached. No “juice” from Geoff - especially after the blocked punt TD. ”

If you want to go after Collins - this is the issue. I don't care about all the rah rah and money down stuff. It isn't directed at me anyway. He's going after HS football players in the ATL who grew up in a hip hop culture. go for it. But you better bring a prepared and motivated team to the game. That team didn't look like either at the start of the game. Second half was better - even recognizing Duke was playing conservative - but he can't wait till halftime to get it right/better. It was a dead stadium to put it mildly but we were the flat team to start.

On the other side it was painful to watch GT try to block Duke's DL. We had no chance. We will have to recruit our way out of that one.

Since I was sitting behind Swilling, it was funny when a Duke clown started yelling at his kids - and Mom started getting upset with the comments. I was thinking Mr. Swilling was going to take issue which would have been fun to watch but he just started laughing.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
you don't know that.
See this is why I haven't tried to explain before now. I am not 'offended' I'm not twelve, you said you didn't 'get it' so I tried to clarify.

When both Trey and Parker had completed their original commitment to GT ( Football in exchange for Undergrad) they both looked for The Best Masters Option for Them, since they both had some eligibility left. Then they explored the opportunity costs of staying vs. going. For Trey the decision was to stay. For Parker, other paths seemed to hold more promise. This idea that this is somehow a referendum on coaching before or after is ridiculous. Remember the goal in this process is to somehow get the best possible outcome (as you see it) in exchange for the work you do. This is no different. Now in order to have a true discussion about the merits of each outcome, you must answer all variables. the further away from it you are the less variables you know. In this example, I may have a clearer understanding of what some of the variables are , you being further removed see things less clear.

But, seriously, how great is it that, as a reward for three years of hard work, effort, and scholarship, in a time of question, turmoil, and transition, Parker was able to pick up his head and see that his hard work was recognized. That people had seen and valued his abilities. Then the world opened in terms of scholarship, playing, and lifestyle. now he gets to live in two of the greatest cities in US if not the world. He will play against 3 of the top conferences, in many of the great stadiums in the country. He'll have the exact Masters he wants. And if everything goes very well an opportunity to compete at the highest levels in college and beyond.

So, I have rambled on, mostly because I enjoyed this board and wanted to clarify this move. We love GT, we have loved GT, and we will love GT. I hope this sheds a little light on the subject.

to quote one of the great 20th century Poets:
LOVE, PEACE, and CHICKEN GREASE!

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I don't understand the rules, unless it's don't criticize former coaches, which is totally unfair.
I referred to a certain group of posters last week as barking seals and it got deleted with the explanation that it could be construed as “rabble rousing” (my description). I certainly understood and accepted the decision.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
We would have done very well with Cutcliffe.
So why isn't he doing well at Duke. He's been there over a decade. Forest 4 to 5 years can be infrastructure bills, he should have done accomplishment to his name by now. I haven't seen anything from him.

Also why has no other school hire him away in that time span or even tried to? Since he would have done so much better here?