Duke Postgame: GT loses 41-23

GTFLETCH

Banned
Lets be honest It takes some pretty bad coaching to take a bowl team and turn around and lose to an 0-2 FCS program. The only conclusion from this season thus far is that the coaching staff, and especially coach Collins, are not yet up to this job. They may grow into it. This is what worried me from day one about Coach Collins and all the social media hype. He’s had two seasons as a HC and let’s be honest, there isn’t much track record there (it’s Temple!) so the hyperbole always felt forced and compensating for a lack of substance. Now he has to turn it down, get to basics and try to build credibility. I’m not optimistic. The sales pitch was the hype would lead to better talent, but who’s hyped to come hear now, and what if we win 0-1 more from here on?

Final thoughts... you wanna change the culture? JUST WIN BABY! That being said what I am watching is awful coaching performance week in and week out. No one expected GT to be that good ( 3-4 wins) But the Jackets aren't getting any better. Each time GT seems to move forward in one area it regresses in another.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
If you are an FBS HC and you hire the right staff, you can spend your time on PR, social media and culture hype and win.

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
You literally said he is potentially sacrificing a year. No. He isn't. Collins has full control over whether Yates burns his redshirt in every scenario except I guess one where for some reason so many players are available that he either plays Yates or doesn't play at all.
I said potentially. I didn't say it was a certainty or even likely. Depending on what decisions are made down the road, Yates could be sacrificing a year because he played in this game. That makes it a potentiality, right? Again, no one has said that playing today has forced him to burn his redshirt.

Settling for someone he beat out? Where has he beat out LJ? What if instead of 4 games, it's 5 games and it doesn't matter anyways?

And even if this doomsday scenario comes to pass, the worst case scenario is that LJ or Oliver or the walkon plays against UGA instead of Yates in a game where no matter who is QB we're going to lose big. The decision was a meaningless one.

Maybe I'm giving the staff too much credit, but I assumed when Yates came in for the play ahead of a dressed-out LJ that he was now what we used to call second-string.

You call it a doomsday scenario, I simply expect coaching staffs to balance the pros and cons when making decisions and avoiding those where there are absolutely no pros. Even if the cons are "doomsday scenarios."

And the decision is not meaningless. Yates still lost 1 out of the 4 games in which he could have gotten at least a full series and could do so with proper preparation rather than rushing on the field after an injury. These are the types of things that a good coaching staff plans for prior to and during the season.

Last edited:

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I said potentially. I didn't say it was a certainty or even likely. Depending on what decisions are made down the road, Yates could be sacrificing a year because he played in this game. That makes it a potentiality, right? Again, no one has said that playing today has forced him to burn his redshirt.

Yes, if the staff decides to play him in a 5th game, he would be sacrificing a year (actually not really). But not because of playing in this game, but because of playing in the 5th. That's when the decision to burn the redshirt is made. Game 5 burns the redshirt. Not game 1. And here is a secret. Players can redshirt beyond their first year. So even in the doomsday scenario he could still redshirt next year if he doesn't beat out Graham in the spring.

The truth is this decision does not put Yate's redshirt eligibility in danger. It simply means he has one less game, that he almost certainly won't get to, and even more certainly wouldn't make a difference in anyways.

You call it a doomsday scenario, I simply expect coaching staffs to balance the pros and cons when making decisions and avoiding those where there are absolutely no pros. Even if the cons are "doomsday scenarios."

You were the type of person who flipped their lid at the "genius" of Johnson intentionally allowing a TD that one time right? Even though it made no difference. This decision makes no difference. Also, absolutely no pros? Aren't you arguing that he beat out LJ so wouldn't the pro being a higher liklihood of success on that play? And if that play scores we are within 2 scores and have a better chance in the game?

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes, if the staff decides to play him in a 5th game, he would be sacrificing a year (actually not really). But not because of playing in this game, but because of playing in the 5th. That's when the decision to burn the redshirt is made. Game 5 burns the redshirt. Not game 1. And here is a secret. Players can redshirt beyond their first year. So even in the doomsday scenario he could still redshirt next year if he doesn't beat out Graham in the spring.

The truth is this decision does not put Yate's redshirt eligibility in danger. It simply means he has one less game, that he almost certainly won't get to, and even more certainly wouldn't make a difference in anyways.

You were the type of person who flipped their lid at the "genius" of Johnson intentionally allowing a TD that one time right? Even though it made no difference. This decision makes no difference. Also, absolutely no pros? Aren't you arguing that he beat out LJ so wouldn't the pro being a higher liklihood of success on that play? And if that play scores we are within 2 scores and have a better chance in the game?

I don’t think they anticipate Yates will be playing much this year. LJ should be back as back up by next week. Just whining to be whining.

Last edited:
Ok, so he continues with monumental transformation. We won 7 games last year, 5 the year before and 9 before that. What the hell is the transformation....to be 1-11? Sure we are changing the offense but to what. It was said earlier in a post that in 2021 he need to win 10 games....well based on this monumental transformation....he better. And I will tell you now....he will not. I credit him for his enthusiasm.....but he does not understand that we are more like Navy than Alabama. And for all you that think otherwise....I have 50 years of Tech football.....do you?

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
"Success is going to come"

Love it. His attention to detail on the punt block gets the football nerd in me amped up. Stay the course Geoff we're with ya.

I am with CGC, but please show improvement on the field, not just saying so in the press conference.

Success is winning football games. You can talk the talk, please walk the walk. By any statistic on offense or defense, we fans are not seeing anything to convince us success is going to come.

Keck

Georgia Tech Fan
Ok, so he continues with monumental transformation. We won 7 games last year, 5 the year before and 9 before that. What the hell is the transformation....to be 1-11? Sure we are changing the offense but to what. It was said earlier in a post that in 2021 he need to win 10 games....well based on this monumental transformation....he better. And I will tell you now....he will not. I credit him for his enthusiasm.....but he does not understand that we are more like Navy than Alabama. And for all you that think otherwise....I have 50 years of Tech football.....do you?
58 and I totally agree

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Obviously, we are not going to see eye-to-eye on this. I'll just let it go with what I said in chat today - I apparently need to shift my mindset from expecting top-notch gameday coaching and adjustments to instead try to enjoy watching what are hopefully superior, highly motivated athletes leading us to victory in the near future instead. This is a monumental transformation for me, but for the sake of my sanity it's obviously what's going to be required. Bear with those of us that have to be dragged kicking and screaming into this brave new world.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

I'm not buying this anymore. When asked if we are improving he said YES every single phase. Bull crap in the USF yes the defense looked better but it has regresses since that game. The offense is a joke, yes the OL is bad very bad. And I haven't seen any improvement id SP teams. Please stop being the little cheerleader and coach the team. I really don't see the offense getting better this year but see no reason the defense can't improve as you said early in the year they are practicing against the same thing they will see each game.

Deleted member 2897

I'm not buying this anymore. When asked if we are improving he said YES every single phase. Bull crap in the USF yes the defense looked better but it has regresses since that game. The offense is a joke, yes the OL is bad very bad. And I haven't seen any improvement id SP teams. Please stop being the little cheerleader and coach the team. I really don't see the offense getting better this year but see no reason the defense can't improve as you said early in the year they are practicing against the same thing they will see each game.

Well, we outgained them on offense 400-380, so there are some things you could point to. But unfortunately it was 38-7 at one point. If you’re Duke, you do play the game differently at that point. And we’re barely completing 1/3rd of our passes. If we can get a bit better protection and get rid of a handful of bad passes, that’s all it takes to break 50%...and that’s all we need to sustain a lot more drives.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The Citadel cannot be excused nor explained, but it seems to me the rest of the season goes about as predicted: we are losing to teams we were supposed to lose to when the season started. It is the helplessness that seems to accompany the losses that frustrates me. I'd like to see a little more combativeness on the sideline, a sense of competence regardless of the score or game. I don't think Collins is the guy and didn't when he was hired, but for once in my life I want to be proved wrong. These are dark days and I don't see much light ahead. Ah, nuts. I am just frustrated with being frustrated and weary of looking for a sliver of hope. Graham seems to be it, maybe, but even then I wonder why it took half the season to see what opponents saw in the first game.

I don't want to be one of those "I'm with you win or tie" fans, but now Saturday arrives and I have to remind myself that GT plays today. Never have I felt that way. Not to spend most of game day in anticipation really deadens me, and not even Georgia losing helps.