Duke Postgame: GT loses 41-23

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
If we can put together a full game defensively we may actually win something. That second qyarter was backbreaking.

Graham looked good. When the line gave him time.

Yates now apparently 2nd string QB.

We ran 1 play under center, it was the end game spike.

Tech has yet to coverthe spread.

LJ is recovering.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Um that would be no. CPJs classes ranked higher than Dukes.....but as I always say recruiting stars mean nothing. It is all coaching and player development. As I have pointed out many of our best players were 2 stars. 6 of the players starting this season for us were 2 stars, Cooper, Camp, Kerr etc.

Take a deeper look since 2015 (the last class that would be playing)

Rivals rank
Duke- 52
GT- 50

So the same. Now look at the players in those class and see who are still at their respective program. That is where the disconnect is. The recruited the same but those same players got a chance to develop and mature

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
View attachment 6929

It’s never as good or bad as it seems. We HAVE TO GET OFF THE FIELD!!!

CPJ words on our margin of error when we make a mistake is razor thin! You can make rudimentary mistakes like not fill your gap or think you are so good that you don’t have to wrap up and cost yourself a targeting penalty bc it cost more than others right now. I admit I wish we had under center package for short yardage, but all that is null n void of block the wrong guy. Impressed with Graham and OL was so-so. WRs have to be stronger on contested catches. This is were Camp lost hurts us
Eh, we had 73 yards of offense on the last drive when the Duke DEs were jogging out of the snap.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
Boys, we got beat on the lines, just like last week, badly. Coaching isn’t going to change that. Recruiting and getting older will be the only thing to change that. Quit watching if you can’t handle the growing pains.

slugboy

Staff member
Nothing to do with recruiting, it is coaching. If you are looking to get a bunch of 4 stars....you will be waiting a long time. Duke has never had a better class than us and they beat the crap out of us.

This hasn’t been true lately. Duke’s class last year was rated ahead of ours. Duke’s 2017 class was rated ahead of ours. Duke’s 2016 class was rated substantially ahead of ours.

Our 2015 and 2018 classes were rated ahead. However, we’ve had some serious attrition over the past few years.

And it’s not just the numbers, but how you put them together.

Used 247 to check.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
Take a deeper look since 2015 (the last class that would be playing)

Rivals rank
Duke- 52
GT- 50

So the same. Now look at the players in those class and see who are still at their respective program. That is where the disconnect is. The recruited the same but those same players got a chance to develop and mature

I would like to see a breakdown on O and D recruits that go into these numbers. But anyway, recruiting a lineman that is smaller but quicker is different than recruiting one that is bigger and slow. Even if they have the same amount of stars beside their name.

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
Positives:
Graham made plays although I thought he left some throws and could have ticked and ran a couple of plays. He was overall good.
Mason and Howard ran hard, caught pass, and played hard.
Davis had a bad drop but I thought he played well.

Negatives
Southers getting beat like a drum.
Too many 3 and outs and should have ran the ball more.
Defense but more specifically the Defensive Line. Cutcliffe knew he could get 4 yards from just OLine push.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We allowed it to be 4th and very short and that means, in this league, 4th is another 3rd. But okay, we need a better short yardage D plan. Happy?

Great mental gymnastics. Also, we don't need a better short yard D plan. We need better DLmen because the ones we have don't have any impact, and that is especially true in short yard situations.

They converted 3 4ths....

Yes, the one play that fits what was quoted, and then the two others I mentioned that didn't.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
This hasn’t been true lately. Duke’s class last year was rated ahead of ours. Duke’s 2017 class was rated ahead of ours. Duke’s 2016 class was rated substantially ahead of ours.

Our 2015 and 2018 classes were rated ahead. However, we’ve had some serious attrition over the past few years.

Used 247 to check.

Nobody is saying we've recruited better. We've recruited about the same.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
I thought the OL played decent. I think to blame this season on the OL is a cop out. Just chicken s***. Our defense is not good. Our coaching has not been good either. We don’t recognize what we do well and what we don’t. Our offensive gameplan has bee erratic at best. I don’t put this loss on the coaching. But with very good coaching it could have been a game. Sad part is most of us don’t recognize how good of a game day coach PJ was.

Our defense isn’t really any better than before it seems. Our offense is just not cutting it. Would rather have Key calling the plays than what is happened now.

Used 247 to check.

According ro Rivals we were 43 and Duke was 49. I think the statement about players staying and developing is a lot more of the story. And of course injuries

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I was def trying to figure out why it took so long to give him a touch. But I'm just a delirious fan, what do I know.

We actually tried a couple of times earlier. There was a quick hitter play where he and Carter collided and that threw off the play. There was the long pass into the end zone. And there was one Graham had to throw off his back foot due to the fact he was about to get clobbered that went to Oliver but ended up out of bounds. Remember that Oliver is also still learning to be a WR. Things like the collision with Carter will happen. I suspect he will be a fast learner and we'll find more and more ways to get him the ball on offense.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow

Used 247 to check.

Don’t know if this is true but if you know football then you saw it today. There were plays where DLmen were completely dominated.