Duke Postgame: GT loses 41-23

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
Mason and Howard looked great. Graham looked better but still missed some wide open TDs. Defense got tired again but played hard second half. Growth in most aspects but the line is still letting Graham get killed. SO to Oliver for taking on the new role and putting his team first. He needs more touches.
I was def trying to figure out why it took so long to give him a touch. But I'm just a delirious fan, what do I know.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
I graduated in Dec 1994, so I was there for the entire miserable last season of CBL. And it was REALLY miserable. Got in a fight in the stands with a frat kid at the UVA game.

We came back from it all and it took 3-4 years. We’re seeing the same before our eyes right now. Well be back. It’s a waiting game.

This year was set in motion the very moment CPJ was hired, though I didn’t realize it at the time.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
Look at this way, Duke beat Virginia Tech 45-10 at VT. We lost AT Duke 41-23. We scored 2 more touchdowns than VT and did so away versus them at home. That gives me hope this season, not to mention, take away the punt block for a TD and we only lose by 10 to Duke.

My biggest opinion about the game is we have serious potential, especially when we run plays that involve Tobias Oliver, but our OC needs to get his crap together or he needs to be fired because sometimes our play calling was baffling and just plain stupid.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
Look at this way, Duke beat Virginia Tech 45-10 at VT. We lost AT Duke 41-23. We scored 2 more touchdowns than VT and did so away versus them at home. That gives me hope this season, not to mention, take away the punt block for a TD and we only lose by 10 to Duke.

My biggest opinion about the game is we have serious potential, especially when we run plays that involve Tobias Oliver, but our OC needs to get his crap together or he needs to be fired because sometimes our play calling was baffling and just plain stupid.

yeah I still am trying to figure out WTF with the play calling.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Housed by Duke until they lost interest. Good news is that I've been informed it's all the players' fault. We just need an entire new team to compete, so I expect good games around 2023 - just around the corner.

It's nobody's "fault" that we're just not strong enough in the trenches. Everyone's doing his best.

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow

I absolutely agree. We have potential when we call plays sensibly. But it's like this OC finds what works and avoids it like the plague. And, we need a better 3rd down defensive plan.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
It's nobody's "fault" that we're just not strong enough in the trenches. Everyone's doing his best.

I agree. They are the best we have for each position. We also have to consider that CGC is also doing his best with what he has. Except the darn play calling, I still don’t get some of it.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
032CB856-EA59-4310-B43B-805CB6A24BC5.jpeg

It’s never as good or bad as it seems. We HAVE TO GET OFF THE FIELD!!!

CPJ words on our margin of error when we make a mistake is razor thin! You can make rudimentary mistakes like not fill your gap or think you are so good that you don’t have to wrap up and cost yourself a targeting penalty bc it cost more than others right now. I admit I wish we had under center package for short yardage, but all that is null n void of block the wrong guy. Impressed with Graham and OL was so-so. WRs have to be stronger on contested catches. This is were Camp lost hurts us

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I was informed that the team has no talent and it's just a matter of time before CGC get his players in to compete. Since I've been informed our players have no talent, surely it follows that it is their fault we lost.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I absolutely agree. We have potential when we call plays sensibly. But it's like this OC finds what works and avoids it like the plague. And, we need a better 3rd down defensive plan.

What? We did fine on third down, Duke was 6- 16.

Also the playcalling was fine. A freshman qb missed some throws and our OL was typically bad, but what exactly was working that we avoided like the plague?