Duke Postgame: GT loses 41-23

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don't understand the rules, unless it's don't criticize former coaches, which is totally unfair.
https://gtswarm.com/help/terms

No Personal Attacks.

Do not post personal attacks on other members, our former or current players, recruits, as well as the GT administrative and coaching staff. There are ways to disagree with someone or an idea but still be civil about it in public discourse. We are not like other fans that like to bark at each other. For a better definition of personal attacks, please see ad hominem and no personal attacks.

No Personal Attacks.

Do not post personal attacks on other members, our former or current players, recruits, as well as the GT administrative and coaching staff. There are ways to disagree with someone or an idea but still be civil about it in public discourse. We are not like other fans that like to bark at each other. For a better definition of personal attacks, please see ad hominem and no personal attacks.
Posting a personal opinion, even if others may disagree, does not necessarily constitute "attacking" anyone, unless unsavory names are used.

JacketBacker

Georgia Tech Fan
I was at the game today, sitting 10 rows behind the Tech bench. A few observations: 1) I’m not sure why Yates was in for the two point conversion play, my guess is the decision was made based on the play call - which appeared to be a roll out to the right with QB run/pass option. I can tell you from the naked eye it was not a glorious start to what I hope will be a terrific career for JY at Tech (I believe Brett Favre’s first NFL pass was a pick six ..so no need to over react to one’s first career snap...and no I’m not saying Yates is the next Favre). What I am saying is that Lucas Johnson was right in front of me and if body language means anything...he was ROYALY pissed that he wasn’t on the field for that play. 2) I want to give this staff time and the benefit of the doubt, but there was no, none, nada energy on the Tech sideline the entire game. We looked poorly prepared/poorly coached. No “juice” from Geoff - especially after the blocked punt TD. 3) had an interesting conversation with Pat Swilling at halftime, very cool dude who is willing to give CGC time, requests we be patient. As for the OC and offense? Let’s just say he’s not a fan. And finally, Collins may prove me wrong, actually as. Tech fan since 1970 I hope he does, but I get a vibe that tells me he’s all style with no coaching “substance.”

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
No scenarios that you're aware of is what you meant to say. You simply do not know. Leave it at that.
Feel free to enlighten me. I've asked and no one has given one yet. I'm willing to admit that I'm wrong and it happens more often than I'd like. If your answer is that the chances of Yates converting that try were so much better than LJ, TO, or Liam that it was worth sacrificing an entire game for him then say so, but I'll vehemently disagree. CGC likes to tout that he's building for the future, but potentially sacrificing a year of Yates as a four-year veteran for one marginally meaningful play today doesn't jive with that narrative.

Deleted member 2897

I was at the game today, sitting 10 rows behind the Tech bench. A few observations: 1) I’m not sure why Yates was in for the two point conversion play, my guess is the decision was made based on the play call - which appeared to be a roll out to the right with QB run/pass option. I can tell you from the naked eye it was not a glorious start to what I hope will be a terrific career for JY at Tech (I believe Brett Favre’s first NFL pass was a pick six ..so no need to over react to one’s first career snap...and no I’m not saying Yates is the next Favre). What I am saying is that Lucas Johnson was right in front of me and if body language means anything...he was ROYALY pissed that he wasn’t on the field for that play. 2) I want to give this staff time and the benefit of the doubt, but there was no, none, nada energy on the Tech sideline the entire game. We looked poorly prepared/poorly coached. No “juice” from Geoff - especially after the blocked punt TD. 3) had an interesting conversation with Pat Swilling at halftime, very cool dude who is willing to give CGC time, requests we be patient. As for the OC and offense? Let’s just say he’s not a fan. And finally, Collins may prove me wrong, actually as. Tech fan since 1970 I hope he does, but I get a vibe that tells me he’s all style with no coaching “substance.”

Dabo is a car salesman too - his coaches do all the coaching. It can work.

Pat is a good dude. And pretty plugged in.

I feel bad for LJ, but he has never looked comfortable or as quick since coming back from injury. I think we’re going to have a lot of turnover on our roster, which really is what we need in some places.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Feel free to enlighten me. I've asked and no one has given one yet. I'm willing to admit that I'm wrong and it happens more often than I'd like. If your answer is that the chances of Yates converting that try were so much better than LJ, TO, or Liam that it was worth sacrificing an entire game for him then say so, but I'll vehemently disagree. CGC likes to tout that he's building for the future, but potentially sacrificing a year of Yates as a four-year veteran for one marginally meaningful play today doesn't jive with that narrative.

I dunno how big of a concern preserving redshirts is right now. Always expected to see less of it with Collins.

Milwaukee

Banned

No not at all, I don't know the answer either. Maybe Yates was promised playing time vs Duke, maybe not, we have NO idea. So why speak in absolutes and run down the staff when you have no idea?

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I dunno how big of a concern preserving redshirts is right now.
Actually, maybe that's the answer @smokey_wasp. It could be that the coaches don't see Yates as the long-term answer at QB and plan to recruit over him anyway (maybe even with Gleason). That may actually explain the decision a little better today. If true, it's disappointing based on what we all expect out of the young man.

GoldenBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan

No Personal Attacks.

I didn't make a personal attack. I criticized coaching and recruiting ability. That's not personal.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
CGC likes to tout that he's building for the future, but potentially sacrificing a year of Yates as a four-year veteran for one marginally meaningful play today doesn't jive with that narrative.

He's not sacrificing a year. At most he'd be sacrificing a game of experience. People act like there is a situation where Yates would be absolutely forced to burn his redshirt.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I didn't make a personal attack. I criticized coaching and recruiting ability. That's not personal.
Again, from the GTSwarm rules section:
Any member who is intentionally obnoxious, abusive, disruptive, repetitive, spammy, or "trolling" implied or not may be sent a warning as a reminder or even be banned without warning at the discretion of a moderator. These rules may be changed at any time without notice. However, if you have any feedback about the community rules or ways to improve the site in general please post here.

Ultimately, the moderators are the judges so please respect their requests when you are told that you have stepped out of line.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

I am not sure I agree with all this but the statement about LJ is interesting because the look on Tobias face after he scored spoke volumes.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Why are posts being deleted and the posts deleted are not even identified? I thought this was an open forum for sharing our thoughts about the game.

Yes, I am fine with the deletions if there are explanations. With no vulgarity or personal insults, just opinions, censorship seems ridiculous.