Disappointment

slugboy

Staff member
This O line would have been a strength under PJ, with five returning starters. As it is now, it is not. I guess it's one reason CGC and crew are loading up on linemen for 2020..

You might have meant something else by “returning starters”, but we have a bit of O Line turnover from last year.

This time last year, our starters were
LT Quinney (back)
LG Braun (gone)
C Lee (Injured) backup Morgan
RG Bryan (gone)
RT Marshall (gone)

At the QuickLane bowl, we had
LT Quinney (back)
LG Braun (gone)
C Cooper (injured) or Lee (injured)
RG Hansen (back)
RT Marshall (gone) or Lee (injured)

The way I look at it, we have two starters back on the OL, out of five. Last year, the line was OK, but I don’t think it was one of our stronger lines. If it had been, we’d have had a better season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I was one of the fans who saw us winning more games so there's definitely disappointment, esp. concerning the FCS loss but the UNC game at least showed that we're improving on the Offensive side of the football, in terms of executing this new scheme. It was also nice to see us NOT doing that stupid QB Switch Scheme anymore and I hope that it's gone for good.

Plenty of fans have been making the same observation all year but it was REALLY noticeable vs UNC, and the TV announcers were vocal about it too: We are just majorly undersized on both sides of the ball right now and that will need to change before we can really be effective in this new offensive approach.

The other pre-season position I took was that we've probably got a capable QB in there somewhere (figured it was between LJ and Graham) and that our WRs were eager to show their skills and talent. On that prediction at least, Saturday's game gave more proof that I'm right. With time in the pocket and experience, Graham and these WRs look very capable of winning plenty of games for us this and the next few seasons.

I expect that last paragraph will get me a "Moved to" Reasons To Be Optimistic thread. Reason: Content Irrelevant" warning lol

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Plenty of fans have been making the same observation all year but it was REALLY noticeable vs UNC, and the TV announcers were vocal about it too: We are just majorly undersized on both sides of the ball right now and that will need to change before we can really be effective in this new offensive approach.

The other pre-season position I took was that we've probably got a capable QB in there somewhere (figured it was between LJ and Graham) and that our WRs were eager to show their skills and talent. On that prediction at least, Saturday's game gave more proof that I'm right. With time in the pocket and experience, Graham and these WRs look very capable of winning plenty of games for us this and the next few seasons.

I expect that last paragraph will get me a "Moved to" Reasons To Be Optimistic thread. Reason: Content Irrelevant" warning lol

We have been undersized almost every year for the many decades I have been watching Tech play. No magic wand has been waved that will allow Tech to magically get the kind of guys that will allow us to compete. I hate to break it to you, but that is not going to change. You may get bigger, but they wont be as athletic. This is what you get when you try to do what the big boys do. You may as well prepare yourself for many losing seasons and bottom of the barrel type performances.

This years "conversion" will significantly effect next years recruiting due to how few wins we are going to end up with.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
Nope, this staff and TStan made a deliberate choice. It is comical the people that whined about going 7-6 now are willing to acceptable losing seasons
I think the ceiling was 7-6 though , I’m as frustrated as anyone & wonder if we got the right guy but we really can’t judge until year 3

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
We have been undersized almost every year for the many decades I have been watching Tech play. No magic wand has been waved that will allow Tech to magically get the kind of guys that will allow us to compete. I hate to break it to you, but that is not going to change. You may get bigger, but they wont be as athletic. This is what you get when you try to do what the big boys do. You may as well prepare yourself for many losing seasons and bottom of the barrel type performances.

This years "conversion" will significantly effect next years recruiting due to how few wins we are going to end up with.

We are now outsized by almost everyone though. We've gotten very small over the last decade yet were able to have the same amount of wins prior to that without being so FCS-sized. Plenty of teams have had terrible years not affect their recruiting, namely UF and UT. The doldrum years the mutts had under Richt never stopped talent from going to that hellhole.

I don't know if it's going to change but it sure wasn't under the old regime and plenty of fans were tired of 2017-18 and annual ***-whippings from Duke, which had become the norm. If it takes a bottoming-out year to ctrl-alt-delete the program, so be it. anything was better than the complete malaise we'd fallen into. Talk about disappointment: You could chalk up 3 losses every year in August previously: Clemson, Duke, uga.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Why? Do you think recruiting is going to be good after this season? Even if it is, do you see any evidence they can be coached up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It might be good in future years given the emphasis placed on it by Coach Collins. Unfortunately, the recruiting was good for Randy Shannon at Miami, Ron Zook at Florida, Derek Dooly and Lane Kiffin at Tennessee etc. Recruiting is not a panacea for the ills of any football program but a necessary first step in rebuilding a program. Recruiting without player development and attention to matching players to your scheme will be the ultimate undoing of any coach. If Coach Collins follows this season with another two or three win season, the walls will start to close in and recruiting will nosedive. Got to win some ball games and "wake up the echoes". (Sorry Notre Dame fans)

Animal02

Banned
I think the ceiling was 7-6 though , I’m as frustrated as anyone & wonder if we got the right guy but we really can’t judge until year 3
I agree, if he comes close to .500 next year and exceeds it in year 3.....we will settle in to our historical average.....depending on how the Cali thing plays out ....

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
He was a 5 star originally committed to FSU. UNC stayed on him and stole him at the last minute I think. He has all the tools except foot speed. A gunslinger of the first order to be sure.
Taggert was slow getting a new oc .
The old oc was as terrible but the unc kid liked him.
There is hope that our staff can build relationships

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I'm getting confused I have a question and not sure if it goes here or bright spots .

After the Citadel game which we lost some said it was right to say CGC if he was not a good coach because we only played 3 games. So then we lost to Temple and they said if wasn't fair to judge him on only 4 game. Now we have lost to unc is it ok to judge him or are we still waiting ? I really need to know when I can judge him, is it ok now or are we still waiting.
I’m actually pretty sure you already judged him before game 1 was even played...

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I’m actually pretty sure you already judged him before game 1 was even played...
He was actually pretty high on CGC before the season began. And he is not happy currently. I think he is not wrong to be dissatisfied with the season so far.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Where you see failure, recruits see opportunity to be an immediate impact player on a team that is going to be considered "on the rise". Several have said so. I look forward to this myth being put to rest on signing day, so we can only argue about whether CGC can also coach them up.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Where you see failure, recruits see opportunity to be an immediate impact player on a team that is going to be considered "on the rise". Several have said so. I look forward to this myth being put to rest on signing day, so we can only argue about whether CGC can also coach them up.

Recruits also love to play in packed, home stadia.

Jmonty71

Banned
I really think this team is very close to turning the corner. We only have 2 things to fix. The offense and the defense. Seriously, I think the the offense is only about 11 good players away from being good. As for the defense, another 11 good players away. Fix those 2 apparently little things, and we're golden.