Disappointment

Jmonty71

Banned
Overall, we are a bad team. We have a well below average coach, mixed with average players. At least with the TO, our scheme made up for talent gaps. The offense doesn't have the players to run what CGC is asking. In essence, he is pounding a square peg through a round hole. I don't think he is going to generate any interest from recruits. Why would kids go to a hard school, to play for a below average coach? Gonna be a long 3 seasons.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Nope, this staff and TStan made a deliberate choice. It is comical the people that whined about going 7-6 now are willing to acceptable losing seasons
I didn't whine about PJ's last season, but I understand the current situation.... and I'm not laughing. I have been watching Tech football now for over 70 years. I've seen the good and the bad. Collins and his staff are doing the best they can with what they have. They know more about football than 99.9% on this board. Will they succeed? Maybe - if we are able to support them through what will be a tough transition. If we don't, attracting a good replacement with our financial resources will be pretty tough.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I didn't whine about PJ's last season, but I understand the current situation.... and I'm not laughing. I have been watching Tech football now for over 70 years. I've seen the good and the bad. Collins and his staff are doing the best they can with what they have. They know more about football than 99.9% on this board. Will they succeed? Maybe - if we are able to support them through what will be a tough transition. If we don't, attracting a good replacement with our financial resources will be pretty tough.

I agree.

Pretending that we are not playing worse than expected doesn't help

Animal02

Banned
Doing the best they can with what they have? Either that is a lie or they are simply ****ty coaches.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Doing the best they can with what they have? Either that is a lie or they are simply ****ty coaches.
What exactly do you think they have? Probably the worst lines in the FBS, a starting lineup of basically all underclassmen. I mean they could also get CPJ back and win 6-8 games every year and be exactly the same.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I'm getting confused I have a question and not sure if it goes here or bright spots .

After the Citadel game which we lost some said it was right to say CGC if he was not a good coach because we only played 3 games. So then we lost to Temple and they said if wasn't fair to judge him on only 4 game. Now we have lost to unc is it ok to judge him or are we still waiting ? I really need to know when I can judge him, is it ok now or are we still waiting.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
For the first time in a long time, I am treating football like I have had to do BB. I kinda look in every once in awhile, but I won’t invest emotion & expectation on this product. I said this on SwarmChat earlier, & I honestly believe it. I believe PJ or any coach with the OL demise would find it difficult to compete, but I really believe the team right now is performing at the absolute lowest it could perform under any adequate coaching staff.

I believe this experiment in going head to head with factories will end one of 2 ways (might take a long time with the contract length):

1. GT could decide not to continue in FBS football - I know this is drastic, but I believe with a dwindling fan base that is already small, it is a remote possibility.
2. As soon as it is economically feasible, this era will be replaced.

I know this is “Debbie downer” stuff, but right now, that is my belief after only 5 games.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Wow, some people in this thread are really taking this hard. I don't blame any of you for having higher expectations at the start of the season, because I did too. But after the Citadel loss it was time to adjust those expectations. There are a lot of place where the coaches and players had missteps and have corrected them. That whole "juice crew and money down" thing needed to change and it did. CGC needed to finally stick with one QB and he did. Dumb penalties needed to be cleaned up and they have.
We are making a bigger transition than a lot of us anticipated and I get that it's rough but it's time for us to adjust. I'm not sure even CPJ and his offense could make up for losing 3 starting linemen and your number 1 receiver. Jared Southers is out of position at RT, and Hamp Gibbs and William Lay aren't bad but ideally you don't want them starting on your line especially if you're totally changing the way they played their entire college careers. Be patient good people

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer

To be fair there are plenty of people who know more about football than 99.9% of this forum that aren’t cut out to coach at the biggest level of college football.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
The total lack of pressure on qb w en w a few blitz. The UNC ol was very tall at tackles and rg _6'7" and since holding is legal .... .. The qb had a clean pocket the entire game .

Our routes dont look as crisp as unc

Yeah, we had absolutely no pressure at all on the QB. I’ve seen/heard a few people blame or criticize the DBs for how much of a passing game we gave up yesterday, but when you take good WRs and a good QB and give him almost unlimited time to sit in the pocket, they will usually pick you apart. I don’t put yesterday’s yards given up through the air all on the DBs.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
The total lack of pressure on qb w en w a few blitz. The UNC ol was very tall at tackles and rg _6'7" and since holding is legal .... .. The qb had a clean pocket the entire game .

Our routes dont look as crisp as unc

Interestingly, I saw Kent Hill on MARTA as we headed home after the game. His last year at Tech was my first. He was drafted by the LA Rams and made All Pro several times as a guard. He made a similar comments about UNCs Oline and ours, that theirs was able to provide a clean pocket for most of the day while their DLine was fairly disruptive and took our QB off their spot for most of the game. I isolated on one of the UNC DTackles (#92) during the game and saw him use the 'swim move' on the lineman in front of him to get pressure on Graham multiple times. It's hard to go through your progressions and make the right reads if you don't have enough time to do so.

Kent was hopeful that as we recruit bigger lineman on both sides of the ball, we will see improvement. Good seeing a GT legend and hearing his comments.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Much credit to David Curry. However, our linebackers can't get through anyone's offensive line when we try to blitz. Their quarterback benefited from very good pass protection. If I were a high school senior defensive tackle and wanted to start my freshman year, I'd be taking a hard look at GT.

I had the impression that our offensive line showed some improvement.