Disappointment

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, I agree that Collins and his staff are doing the best they can with what they have.

That's not the same as doing the best anyone could with what they have.

Good point. I was thinking the latter. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
oh, wife says she likes new qb but is disappointed in addias efforts on coach's gameday attire. Did the cameras show the assistants wearing what looked like white garbage bags?

To add my appointment on game day assistant coaches - we had about 20 and UNC had about 30 .

The white garbage backs are in stock and available for immediate purchase. Igor mine at Publix for 2.99.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
“That whole "juice crew and money down" thing needed to change and it did”. Honestly, they seemed to be right back at it yesterday.

The announcer is alternating between "money down" and "third down". There was some dancing in the juice crew, but the sidelines looked much more like they were engaged with the game. I don't have a problem with "juice" or dancing. My problem was "juice" and dancing during the Citadel game when the team was having its butts handed to it. If they appear to understand what is happening in the game and respond to that, I don't have any issue with anything they have been doing.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Disappointments:

Not getting the ball to our receiving playmakers often enough (Carter, Brown, Oliver). Did better in the 2nd half but not so early
In the run game not having an outside threat and very little misdirection. Under utilizing our RB talent. No option pitches?
Oliver was virtually not in the game: only 3 scrimmage touches until a few minutes to go in the 4th Q. If he is not the QB he needs to be on the field at slot, RB, and WR and kick returning MULTIPLE plays....like more in the game than out. You cannot let your best offensive weapon sit.

On D our DBs/LBs failed to get lined up properly 3 times leading to two first downs and one TD. You cannot let the O alignment pre-snap cost you like that.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Well we're going to go from one train wreck (football) to another train wreck (basketball). I saw the golf team getting some kind of honor at half-time. They must be good. Do we have a golf stadium?

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Jolly Good Fellow
In two years we will have mostly Collins’ players instead of Johnson’s players and the team will be greatly improved.
The mental gymnastics people will put themselves through when at the end of this road we cap out at 6-8 wins with an occasional “magical” season sprinkled in is going to be entertaining as hell to watch.

83jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
The seven year contract was a direct result of how poor the numbers and talent level are on both lines of scrimmage. Skill players can come in and contribute quickly sometimes even as freshman. With lineman you are fortunate if they are ready to contribute meaningful snaps in their third year (RS Soph). The time required to remake the roster for OL and DL is why he got seven years. If you went with another 3O coach they would have gotten 5 years.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Disappointments:

Not getting the ball to our receiving playmakers often enough (Carter, Brown, Oliver). Did better in the 2nd half but not so early
In the run game not having an outside threat and very little misdirection. Under utilizing our RB talent. No option pitches?
Oliver was virtually not in the game: only 3 scrimmage touches until a few minutes to go in the 4th Q. If he is not the QB he needs to be on the field at slot, RB, and WR and kick returning MULTIPLE plays....like more in the game than out. You cannot let your best offensive weapon sit.

On D our DBs/LBs failed to get lined up properly 3 times leading to two first downs and one TD. You cannot let the O alignment pre-snap cost you like that.
Oliver is the backup QB though. I think that limits how we can use him in other places.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Our O-line is being asked to do something they were not recruited for and may not be capable of. Whose fault is that? Is that really the players fault?[/QUOTE

No...

But it is the foundation of our struggles...

We have the skill players to compete...

It's should be priority 1 for coaching, practice and scheming...

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Kinda depends on what your expectations were, doesn't it?

Obviously.

However, with that being said, the phrase "worse than expected," is typically used with respect to a generalization. IIrc, most prognosticators predicted we'd win 3 games. It seems reasonable that most believed one of those would be the Citadel. On this site, I do not remember a single person predicting us to lose to the Citadel. Please provide a link if you did.

In fact, many on this site expected us to win 5-7 games. Again, this could obviously still happen.

However, I still don't think you could find anyone saying that they expected us to lose to an FCS team for the first time in 36 years or score fewer than 3 pts for the first time in over 30 years. You might find a dwag fan somewhere that expected this to happen, but as generalizations go, I still think it's safe to say that we're playing worse than expected.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
SMU also has, I believe, one of the youngest rosters in FBS.

CGC couldn't have foreseen the injuries on the O line. He did have two OL commits held over from the PJ regime. Chose not to sign them or just effectively no played them into going elsewhere.
Had PJ stayed, and if we had those injuries to Cooper and Lee, those two kids might well be playing.
This O line would have been a strength under PJ, with five returning starters. As it is now, it is not. I guess it's one reason CGC and crew are loading up on linemen for 2020.
The D line we all knew would be a problem. Big B was a run stuffer extraordinaire but ....
It's a young D line but CGC and crew were left, by 247sports.com's rankings, a starting D with all either 3 or 4 star players. Rivals has a couple of the D players rated higher than 247, and 247 has a kid at 3 stars Rivals had at 2.

The O has some good skill players. Graham certainly has potential and you can see why he was rated a 4 star.

I just don't have a lot of faith in this coaching staff. I see yesterday's glass as 3/4 empty, not half full.
And we still have 0 first quarter points through five games this season.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
He did have two OL commits held over from the PJ regime. Chose not to sign them or just effectively no played them into going elsewhere.

Those two didn't sign in December. I think if they had that the coaches would have probably honored their scholarships. I don't know what happened, but I suspect that when they didn't sign in December that the coaches just stopped talking to them. I don't like the idea of pulling an offer, but if someone has an opportunity to sign and doesn't that tells you something about their commitment.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Those two didn't sign in December. I think if they had that the coaches would have probably honored their scholarships. I don't know what happened, but I suspect that when they didn't sign in December that the coaches just stopped talking to them. I don't like the idea of pulling an offer, but if someone has an opportunity to sign and doesn't that tells you something about their commitment.

From what I could tell, it was a they said - they said situation. Both OL commits claimed that they hadn't heard from GT. GT claimed that they were honoring all commitments.

I think it's up to each person to determine what they think most likely happened. It doesn't do any good for anyone to publicly speculate, imo.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
From what I could tell, it was a they said - they said situation. Both OL commits claimed that they hadn't heard from GT. GT claimed that they were honoring all commitments.

I think it's up to each person to determine what they think most likely happened. It doesn't do any good for anyone to publicly speculate, imo.

I said that I suspect the coaches stopped talking to them. That is just speculation.

Neither of those commits signed in December when they could have. That is not speculation.

Jmonty71

Banned
I didn't whine about PJ's last season, but I understand the current situation.... and I'm not laughing. I have been watching Tech football now for over 70 years. I've seen the good and the bad. Collins and his staff are doing the best they can with what they have. They know more about football than 99.9% on this board. Will they succeed? Maybe - if we are able to support them through what will be a tough transition. If we don't, attracting a good replacement with our financial resources will be pretty tough.
That looks like roughly like the apologies you'd see from CPJ supporters. I cannot disagree more. They get paid 99.9% more to coach football, than anyone on this board. However; that does not make them football, godlike; geniuses. I have seem way too many mistakes, that good coaches don't make. If that's his best, than I'm correct in saying, it's going to be a long 3 long years.