Disappointment

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
I really think this team is very close to turning the corner. We only have 2 things to fix. The offense and the defense. Seriously, I think the the offense is only about 11 good players away from being good. As for the defense, another 11 good players away. Fix those 2 apparently little things, and we're golden.

Alternatively, we might only be a couple of good coaches away... :)

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I really think this team is very close to turning the corner. We only have 2 things to fix. The offense and the defense. Seriously, I think the the offense is only about 11 good players away from being good. As for the defense, another 11 good players away. Fix those 2 apparently little things, and we're golden.
This is the highest praise for our placekickers all season!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Well we're going to go from one train wreck (football) to another train wreck (basketball). I saw the golf team getting some kind of honor at half-time. They must be good. Do we have a golf stadium?
Golf team won the ACC this past year and Andy Ogletree won the US Amateur. That is the only team at GT that has been consistent ACC champions. They deserve to be recognized.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Where you see failure, recruits see opportunity to be an immediate impact player on a team that is going to be considered "on the rise". Several have said so. I look forward to this myth being put to rest on signing day, so we can only argue about whether CGC can also coach them up.

For Coach Collins' sake, I pray you are correct. However, as losses pile up into the latter part of the second or third year, it becomes less likely to be a recruit magnet. By the middle of the second year, the argument will become one of whether or not the Collins regime is winning enough ball games recruiting rankings notwithstanding.

Last edited:

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
We consistently show what a fragile fan base we are. Have a stiff one (if you need it) and give these guys a chance.

You should take a look at the Miami board. This is Manny's first year, same as Coach Collins, and they are NOW ready to fire him, the DC, the OC, the AD, the water boys, and everybody in sight. The meltdown against Virginia Tech ignited a firestorm in that fan base that makes what is going on here literally a tempest in a teapot. Tech's fan base is much more forgiving and discerning than most. This is one reason why Tech is still considered a reasonably good job by college coaches in spite of the academics, the recruiting restrictions, perceived lack of support from both academics and administrators etc.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The announcer is alternating between "money down" and "third down". There was some dancing in the juice crew, but the sidelines looked much more like they were engaged with the game. I don't have a problem with "juice" or dancing. My problem was "juice" and dancing during the Citadel game when the team was having its butts handed to it. If they appear to understand what is happening in the game and respond to that, I don't have any issue with anything they have been doing.

My problem with the "juice", the money down, the dancing, in fact all the gimmickry is that it needs to be done when you have done something...like maybe winning a few games...then dance away with the juice and monopoly money flowing.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
My problem with the "juice", the money down, the dancing, in fact all the gimmickry is that it needs to be done when you have done something...like maybe winning a few games...then dance away with the juice and monopoly money flowing.

That is basically what I was saying. I don't think you need to wait until winning a few games. Scoring quickly in the third quarter and holding UNC to a 3 and out, down by 10 with some momentum is good enough. Opening kickoff is good enough to be fired up.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
That is basically what I was saying. I don't think you need to wait until winning a few games. Scoring quickly in the third quarter and holding UNC to a 3 and out, down by 10 with some momentum is good enough. Opening kickoff is good enough to be fired up.

My standards have changed. The smoke and mirrors have worn a little thin. Time for some substance or at least on the field improvement as I have pretty much given up on Tech winning another game this year. Could happen, but I doubt it.

jackets55

Jolly Good Fellow
Where you see failure, recruits see opportunity to be an immediate impact player on a team that is going to be considered "on the rise". Several have said so. I look forward to this myth being put to rest on signing day, so we can only argue about whether CGC can also coach them up.

Hard to argue with a strawman, could you name 1 or 2?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Hard to argue with a strawman, could you name 1 or 2?

Bryce Gowdy is one. See the featured article on the front page. I have seen similar sentiments from Ryan King and Miles Brooks, but I can't point you directly to them. This year's results have not been a part of the sales pitch to 2020 recruits, naturally. Culture change, hope for the future, and being part of building something special from the ground up have been. Wins never hurt, of course, but most didn't expect many.

Last edited:

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
He was actually pretty high on CGC before the season began. And he is not happy currently. I think he is not wrong to be dissatisfied with the season so far.

I can't imagine anyone who should be satisfied with the season thus far. I am a CGC fan (also a CPJ fan) and am disappointed with how our players represented themselves in the Citadel game and that's on the coaches 100%. I think they didn't set boundaries and you saw that in the lack of overall discipline on the field with the penalties and off the field with the antics.

On the other hand the actual performance on the field, minus the Citadel game, is about what I expected or maybe a bit less than my original expectation because I didn't expect this drastic an injury situation on the OL.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Bryce Gowdy is one. See the featured article on the front page. I have seen similar sentiments from Ryan King and Miles Brooks, but I can't point you directly to them. This year's results have not been a part of the sales pitch to 2020 recruits, naturally. Culture change, hope for the future, and being part of building something special from the ground up have been. Wins never hurt, of course, but most didn't expect many.

We are going to get good players, no doubt about it Coach Collins is just the sort of coach recruits gravitate towards. His personality is warm, genuine, magnetic, positive. If you were a parent of a high school football player, wouldn't you rather your son play for him instead of say, Coach Saban? He needs to put that salesmanship to work on linemen, especially defensive tackles. I know they are hard to find especially ones truly interested in an education but they are out there. Go get them.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
On the other hand the actual performance on the field, minus the Citadel game, is about what I expected or maybe a bit less than my original expectation because I didn't expect this drastic an injury situation on the OL.
I was looking at the roster yesterday. Besides the guys that have game experience, we've got about 6 walk-on linemen and something like three scholarship linemen that have seen limited action or haven't been in a game yet. Most of our reserves are mid to lower three star guys. I truly appreciate all of them, but we can't have anymore injuries.

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
For the first time in a long time, I am treating football like I have had to do BB. I kinda look in every once in awhile, but I won’t invest emotion & expectation on this product. I said this on SwarmChat earlier, & I honestly believe it. I believe PJ or any coach with the OL demise would find it difficult to compete, but I really believe the team right now is performing at the absolute lowest it could perform under any adequate coaching staff.

I believe this experiment in going head to head with factories will end one of 2 ways (might take a long time with the contract length):

1. GT could decide not to continue in FBS football - I know this is drastic, but I believe with a dwindling fan base that is already small, it is a remote possibility.
2. As soon as it is economically feasible, this era will be replaced.

I know this is “Debbie downer” stuff, but right now, that is my belief after only 5 games.

I don't understand what point you are making. Is the ONLY scheme available to neutralize a talent deficit is the TO? Are you saying that ONLY CPJ can succeed at GT? Every other offense is basically the same.

This is a defining moment for GT. We tried a scheme-based solution to reduce the impact of our academic rigor on recruiting. It was somewhat successful but was trending flat or declining.

Now we have a scheme more attractive to recruits and a relentless recruiter extolling the merits of coming to GT. If this new approach fails, what approach can be taken then? I'm pulling for CGC to succeed. If he doesn't, I think it will mean we cannot play FBS football AND have academic standards that don't appeal to enough 4- and 5-star players in today's college football environment.

Last edited:

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think you are seeing why Paul decided it was time to close the store. I think he knew we were in for a tough season based on who he had left on the roster and the overall surround of the situation. He might have got 2 or 3 wins out of this team but even Heisman would have suffered a losing season with this edition of the Yellow Jackets! We just have to try and make the most out of a bad situation and know the sun will come up tomorrow (at least for most of us).

Go Jackets!

Animal02

Banned
I don't understand what point you are making. Is the ONLY scheme available to neutralize a talent deficit is the TO? Are you saying that ONLY CPJ can succeed at GT? Every other offense is basically the same.

This is a defining moment for GT. We tried a scheme-based solution to reduce the impact of our academic rigor on recruiting. It was somewhat successful but was trending flat or declining.

Now we have a scheme more attractive to recruits and a relentless recruiter extolling the merits of coming to GT. If this new approach fails, what approach can be taken then? I'm pulling for CGC to succeed. If he doesn't, I think it will mean we cannot play FBS football AND have academic standards that don't appeal to enough 4- and 5-star players in today's college football environment.
What makes you believe that there is a multitude of 4-5 star players that want to MAJOR in one of the few degree offerings that Tech offers AND put up with the academic rigors required to stay eligible on their way to the NFL?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Imo, the opinion is NOT that CPJs system is the only one that can work at GT.

Rather, it's a concern that we need top gameday coaching to regularly compete. Also, it involves the suspicion that we can't afford top dollar HC, DC, & OC nor will we be able to out recruit ACC competition.

So, when it seems like we're under performing our talent so far, there's little on which to hang hope.