Demetris Robertson

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Sure but the extra irritating part here is, if you recall, Roberson pretended to be interested in Georgia Tech’s level of academics. Hence his original choice of Cal-Berkeley rather than some football factory. (Not to mention he practically played an A-back position in high school.)

To see him transfer back in-state to go to the cesspool instead of becoming a Yellow Jacket is extremely disappointing.

Let’s enjoy this funny memory here:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Sure but the extra irritating part here is, if you recall, Roberson pretended to be interested in Georgia Tech’s level of academics. Hence his original choice of Cal-Berkeley rather than some football factory. (Not to mention he practically played an A-back position in high school.)

To see him transfer back in-state to go to the cesspool instead of becoming a Yellow Jacket is extremely disappointing.

Let’s enjoy this funny memory here:

:vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit:

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
During his recruitment, he list GT as one of his favorite schools. I wonder how or if we approached him once he announced he was leaving Cal. I don't think we were ever in the picture to sign him, but with the addition of the three new recruiting staff members, I just wonder if anything was put into motion to swing him to us. I'm not being critical, but I hope we hired the right guys.

thebull35

Jolly Good Fellow
I am interested in what you’re saying here. Is your suggestion that you do not believe kids come to GT for top level academics AND athletic competition? Seems like there are los of examples where the SAs say they did come for that very reason and prove it ( Ben Lammers, Sean Bedford, Trey Braun to name a few).

I guess I am suggesting that when it comes to student-athletes not committing to Tech it hasn’t been academically related. I’ve tried not admitting to it but when I have been given about 6-8 anecdotal accounts of why they were not choosing Tech and choosing other institutions of higher learning I’m forced to change my thoughts and ideas about why kids are/aren’t deciding Tech is the place for them. Don’t get me wrong, you are correct that there are kids that look at Tech as the best of both worlds. But what kids are saying is that academics is not the deterrent that the masses is making it out to be.

In essence I said all of that to say that Tech has a branding issue that’s not registering with these top athletes.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I guess I am suggesting that when it comes to student-athletes not committing to Tech it hasn’t been academically related. I’ve tried not admitting to it but when I have been given about 6-8 anecdotal accounts of why they were not choosing Tech and choosing other institutions of higher learning I’m forced to change my thoughts and ideas about why kids are/aren’t deciding Tech is the place for them. Don’t get me wrong, you are correct that there are kids that look at Tech as the best of both worlds. But what kids are saying is that academics is not the deterrent that the masses is making it out to be.

In essence I said all of that to say that Tech has a branding issue that’s not registering with these top athletes.

I can respect that. I would wager you’re right that we suffer from sour grapes and use our academic hurdles too broadly to justify players not coming here, that said I do think we have a plan in place to co tongue recruiting the type of player who wants the value proposition of both.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Can we please stop with this academics nonsense about why a kid commits or doesn’t commit to Georgia Tech???

I know several student-athletes that have received offers from Georgia Tech that academically would have no business at Tech because I have had them in my classroom or had them on the field. Academics is not the reason they are/are not coming to Tech.
Well, to be fair not every kid is alike...... so that comment may be true to some but not all. You cant just take some comments like that and make them as if it’s the norm.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It’s the academics. But it’s much more than just the difficult, time consuming and small scope of course work. It’s the nerd school culture that inevitably goes with it. It’s the lack of girls and the lack of ginormous adoring fan base. But most of all it’s the lack of ego boosting media driven social prestige that comes with the factory schools.

I always return to this question: how many of our academic peers ((top ranking STEM schools) even play big boy football? That right there tells you how hard it is to do both, much less excel at both.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
He tried the academic route. It wasn't for him. It's about football period.

After watching that video, it is obvious that is what he is looking for. He wants to develop at WR in order to play on Sunday. Do we really think we can offer that? Player development for the NFL at WR? I'm not talking about just blocking, but running more routes than a vertical jump ball.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
After watching that video, it is obvious that is what he is looking for. He wants to develop at WR in order to play on Sunday. Do we really think we can offer that? Player development for the NFL at WR? I'm not talking about just blocking, but running more routes than a vertical jump ball.
I get your point, but we’ve had quite a few WRs get drafted or end up in the NFL under CPJ. To me, that suggests NFL scouts think we do a good job getting WRs ready for Sunday.

Granted, Robertson does not possess the size we look for in a WR and would have likely ended up at AB. I can see why he would prefer to be a WR at another school vs an AB for us.