Defense

I’ll have to watch the tape. You may be right. It didn’t seem much better live though.

I do like the way we are penetrating gaps more this year. I just haven’t seen it lead to appreciable sacks or pressure yet and our QB contain was a mess again today.

I just think we are still in need of more athleticism.

But again....I need to watch some replays.
More sacks thus far, although still not many, and lots more TFL's than last year. The pressure is there, but it doesn't always get what we want, again because of letting the QB get away and poor tackling when we catch up with him or the RB.

I’ll say this, I wonder is CNW really isn’t happy with the upperclassmen that we have at GT. If you notice, a lot of freshman and sophomores have been playing a lot, and maybe as much if not more than the upperclassmen we have seen playing a lot. It’s hard to do good with a lot of young guys.
And that's why it may take a while to get BIG results. Hope he can recruit.

It’s been said by the coaches. Unless you are talking about Groh 2 gap system needing UGA, Clemson, Bama type talent, then history would tell us that. Idk of any 3-4 D that plays 2 gap without superior talent that does really well.
I am past the whole coaching schemes. I think it just comes down to one thing and one thing only. We just suck on D. That simple.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
That QB could have been contained by the DL if we called off the stunts. Live and learn.
Looked to me like a catch 22. The stunts were necessary to get pressure on the QB. Containment would have resulted in the QB staying in the pocket longer and having more time for receivers to get open. I think he would have picked us apart. So, the stunts required a spy on the quarterback, in my opinion.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I bet BM is great in Oklahoma and knows calls and stuff. And he is probably good in 11 on 11 because the O runs the same stuff they have since he started, which is mostly cgc reads right in his face with zero pass game responsibility. And since QBs are gold shirts, you wouldn't notice that he never actually takes down a QB in space.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
It's been 10 years and 2 games with a CPJ defense and we look like we are in prime CPJ D form.
I’ve said it before, this to me is his last chance. In the past he hasn’t been able to hire who he wanted and resources have been less than stellar. That’s now changing so I need to see change. I know it takes a little time though, but by next year I want to see obvious change as well as this year as it goes on.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I’ve said it before, this to me is his last chance. In the past he hasn’t been able to hire who he wanted and resources have been less than stellar. That’s now changing so I need to see change. I know it takes a little time though, but by next year I want to see obvious change as well as this year as it goes on.

He' has enough money to produce better than he has. Sorry but wasn't Groh's defense, or Roof's defense. This isn't Woody's defense. They are all Johnson's defense, and the excuses to keep justifying poor play as something that isn't really his fault is naive. There's no real reason for him to have a 4th chance. And if his first choice this year is a career socon and southern DCwith no experience coaching at this level then...

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Brant Mitchell is the most overrated player on the defense and supposedly the leader. How bjs doesn't start is not a good look for him
I bet BM is great in Oklahoma and knows calls and stuff. And he is probably good in 11 on 11 because the O runs the same stuff they have since he started, which is mostly cgc reads right in his face with zero pass game responsibility. And since QBs are gold shirts, you wouldn't notice that he never actually takes down a QB in space.
I need to watch some tape. Went to the game and we were winning when I left. But there were two glaring weaknesses from watching the game from the stands. 1. The inability to run down a QB who is not a great runner, I for the life of me could not understand that and BM was a lot of the problem. For goodness sakes, the Clemson QB would have had a field day. 2) Cb's not pressing. When a receiver just turns around to catch an out pass, then press it. You should be able to beat a blocking WR to the spot by recognizing and running to the point of the ball receiver. It's not a hard play. Our guys just stood there and made it an easy block. I didn't see much of the 4th quarter but I saw enough to see those two glaring weaknesses. Maybe #2 can be fixed with more play, but #1 is a problem. Linebackers in a 3-4 have to make plays and I didn't see many today. Maybe it wasn't all BM, don't know.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I will say that i was very disappointed with BM’s performance, i don’t recall his name called out once for any big plays. We are going to see this offense over and over again this season, with better and faster QB’s....def better get used to it.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I will say that i was very disappointed with BM’s performance, i don’t recall his name called out once for any big plays. We are going to see this offense over and over again this season, with better and faster QB’s....def better get used to it.
Disappointing is an understatement. His play was terrible

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

TBH, i don't recall hearing ANY of our LB's names being called. Outside of the targeting call on Curry. I don't know why BM is being singled out. All of them were invisible imo.