Defense

Goatman93

Jolly Good Fellow
Some have discussed this before. How can a team like Tech ever get prepared for a true pass team when they practice against this offense? I’m not saying they run it against the 1st D in practice but if they don’t have true passers on the team how can they truly be prepared? Just wondering.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Keep on posting , man ! It's a BLOG !! The posters who have been here a long time can be rough sometimes. Don't get discouraged. I really do not understand why they just don't ignore it. If no one is interested anymore the thread will dry up.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
To your point. I think it goes deeper than that. It goes back also to the type of OL we recruit. We look for guys with a predominately " forward lean" for getting low to drive block and cut block. Guys who can rock back on their hips and have some agility to pass block are a lesser skill for us. So our passing doesn't / hasn't developed to test the defense. It all starts with the OL and DL , IMO.

Goatman93

Jolly Good Fellow
To your point. I think it goes deeper than that. It goes back also to the type of OL we recruit. We look for guys with a predominately " forward lean" for getting low to drive block and cut block. Guys who can rock back on their hips and have some agility to pass block are a lesser skill for us.
Thanks for the info.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I don’t read all the threads. If you don’t like it don’t respond.
Hang in there!
80 posts for u and 8000 posts for o j f .

I have wondered ths same about practice. I am sure coach is aware of this issue ,so I would like to know HOW they address it

ALSO, I have heard that Great One Eric built a hard stop on the number if posts at 10,000. Kind if a y2k thing . JOKE JOKE o j f keep um coming .

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Hang in there!
80 posts for u and 8000 posts for o j f .

I have wondered ths same about practice. I am sure coach is aware of this issue ,so I would like to know HOW they address it

ALSO, I have heard that Great One Eric built a hard stop on the number if posts at 10,000. Kind if a y2k thing . JOKE JOKE o j f keep um coming .

It just get frustrating to click on a thread and see the same thing over and over and over and over........................you get the point :)

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Some have discussed this before. How can a team like Tech ever get prepared for a true pass team when they practice against this offense? I’m not saying they run it against the 1st D in practice but if they don’t have true passers on the team how can they truly be prepared? Just wondering.
Cutcliffe says it's not possible.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

It's pretty simple. Quite a few on here disagree, but there's a reason why there are popular sayings like "As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another" or "a rising tide lifts all boats" (though JFK meant it for the economy, it's been applied to sports). The better talent you have, the better it helps you to prepare in practice. Other teams BACKUPS have better passing talent than we do, and you could even go so far as to say their backup skill position players and OLs are better for practice purposes as most team run some form of spread now, so outside of scheme variations, their talent fit is pretty even in terms of practice preparation.

We like to say that our offense makes us difficult to prepare for, but the opposite is also true. Our offense, and more specifically our specific talent needs, makes practices a little more difficult from a personnel standpoint. One of the unfortunate things about losing LJ is it was possible we used him for scout team QB (I have no doubt we probably used him there early in his career) for his arm talent.

I'm not saying it's something that cripples our defense, but it does present a challenge for our defense. One of the reasons Nate Woody was attractive was that he was DC for teams that ran a similar offense to ours, and the "offense disparity" in practice was something he touched on when we hired him. Hopefully we'll see it more and more as the season goes on an our guys get comfortable in our new defensive scheme.