Defense

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
During spring, and summer camp, intellectually many of us expected that there would be growing pains on defense. Reality arrived Saturday. It was an afternoon long growing pain -- and won't be the last one this year -- aggravated by ref calls. How 'bout we see if the defense improves over the season before calls to dump the DC?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Here’s basically how I see it, when I say “hype” maybe that’s not the right word. But when I hear a guy has had a really good camp, yet it isn’t being translated on the field against teams that aren’t world beaters I wonder if he’s a better practice player compared to game player, and I think that’s a reasonable thought. I will say this probably goes to him as a whole from what I’ve seen in prior years though. The bigest thing to me is, my question of is it possible that he could be a better practice player than game player seems reasonable. If it didn’t come across as a question my apologies.

Fair enough. I just think by the time one is a senior, has practiced in every practice, and played in every game...the coaches know if this premise is true or not.

Maybe he “had a good camp” by showing he knew assignments. Maybe he was making plays. Maybe he seemed to disappear Saturday because his girlfriend dumped him and he couldn’t focus. Maybe his puppy dog died.

Maybe he was trying to do too much and just played a bad game in Tampa. While he didn’t blow up Alcorn I’m not sure he played terribly.

Maybe some fans put too much stock into camp reports to begin with. Maybe some consistently over rate our own talent and mistakenly thought a new DC would produce “the steel curtain” with what we have. Maybe some still aren’t giving USF their due and recognizing them as a competitive team for most any ACC team not residing in the state of South Carolina.

If you really want a possible answer to your supposition see @alentrekin hypothesis on this.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
During spring, and summer camp, intellectually many of us expected that there would be growing pains on defense. Reality arrived Saturday. It was an afternoon long growing pain -- and won't be the last one this year -- aggravated by ref calls. How 'bout we see if the defense improves over the season before calls to dump the DC?

The problem is at this point I don’t believe it has anything to do with DC.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Who is calling to dump the DC? He isn't the problem.

GTJeff1975

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't understand the "abandon ship" responses I'm seeing in regards to our new DC. Going from a 4-2-5 to a 3-4 was always going to have its growing pains. We've been recruiting for CTRs system for how long now? I was encouraged by what I saw against Alcorn & saw some flashes last weekend. We were inevitably going to take a step or two back before going a step or two forward this year. Be patient.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
No. It was. Its our second game. 2 starters kicked out. Totally new back 4. I bet, unless total wheels fall off this team and everyone gives in, you will see improvement and a solid d squad. However i am worried about the wheels coming off this team way too quick

Cpj seems to have somehow created a mentally weak program that folds in the end
We'll see!

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
From what I saw repeatedly against S Fla we needed a LB to stay home in the middle to get the QB when he bolted. This was especially important since our 2 CBs and 2 Ss were in deep pass coverage (not sure where the Stinger was all day). Our LBs seem to disappear in the wash leaving the QB to run to daylight at will. Maybe with a S in the box this would be different but we were so determined to stop the deep pass our SSs were not in the box. I just can't see why we did not make some adjustment as the game went on and the QB continued to burn us.

Now whether our current LBs are fast enough and able to tackle in the open field (against a very avg runner) is another question. Remember JT beat the UGA spy in 2014 to set up the tying FG, but he was not an avg runner.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I have set here quietly. Listening to everyone on the new Defensive Coordinator band wagon. This was not the debut you wanted.
Acorn State doesn't count.

The only thought I had was at the end of the game was "Well this sucked!"

Al Groh all over again. GT can't get the type of kid to be good at this style of defense.
(3-4)

Not trying to get anyone upset or mad, but it was very obvious that this isn't going to work out or end well.
I’m beginning to think there is something in the water.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
It’s been multiple organs bowl wins, multiple ACCCG, it’s been 5 seasons of 8 or more wins with what the recruiting services say is below average recruiting. It’s been the 4th most successful ACC team in that span. It’s been wins over powerhouse teams like UGA, FSU, and Clemson.......
I don't know what the organs bowl is, but it doesn't sound football related.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
It’s been multiple organs bowl wins, multiple ACCCG, it’s been 5 seasons of 8 or more wins with what the recruiting services say is below average recruiting. It’s been the 4th most successful ACC team in that span. It’s been wins over powerhouse teams like UGA, FSU, and Clemson.......

And throughout the entirety of it the defense has been bad and we've had most of the same issues the entire time.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
And throughout the entirety of it the defense has been bad and we've had most of the same issues the entire time.
Agreed, however almost every team in the country has had issues on either offense or defense. It’s just part of the sport, although ours has been worse than what it should be imo. I think it’s important to look at the common theme with the defense being bad and while CPJ is part of it, I think it goes way beyond him, but some just don’t want to dig deeper. I’ve said it many times, but I’ll say it again, this for me is the final straw for CPJ. The common theme that I’m most concerned with is not CPJ but it’s the resources he’s been given. He’s just now starting to get the things needed to better the program imo. That’s why I give it a few more years, now I need to see steps forward in that time span, but I think he deserves to have a shot with the new resources that have been given to him. A bad coach doesn’t have the accomplishments he has.