Defense

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
I have set here quietly. Listening to everyone on the new Defensive Coordinator band wagon. This was not the debut you wanted.
Acorn State doesn't count.

The only thought I had was at the end of the game was "Well this sucked!"

Al Groh all over again. GT can't get the type of kid to be good at this style of defense.
(3-4)

Not trying to get anyone upset or mad, but it was very obvious that this isn't going to work out or end well.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I have set here quietly. Listening to everyone on the new Defensive Coordinator band wagon. This was not the debut you wanted.

Al Groh all over again. GT can't get the type of kid to be good at this style of defense.
(3-4)

Not trying to get anyone upset or mad, but it was very obvious that this isn't going to work out or end well.
Did you pass every class at Tech ? or just say that sucked and drop.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
In 2017, the average team allowed 14.3 yards per point. If this was to translate to todays game, we would have the following:

USF-426 yards ->29.8 expected points. Defense points allowed: 35. So 5 points of underperformance

GT->602 yards ->42 expected points. Offense points scored: 38. So 4 points of underperformance.

Fact is that both sides of the ball underperformed roughly the same. Its easy to pin it on the D as USF made better adjustments in the second half, but when you look at just yards, it doesn't paint a complete picture. ST definitely cost us a game (thats like what, the 8th time in 3 years?)

Through turnovers, UCF had 11 yards of offense in vain (2%)
GT had 56 (9%) At the end of the day, the defense only allowed 1TD on 5 real drives in the first half, and that should have kept the offense in the game. Both teams scored the same number of TDs on offense. Granted, has USF had two more drives instead of ST-free TDs, this might be a different story.

Everyone has their frustrations when TQM came back in, but he's the starter for a reason. I didn't like expanding the playbook when he was in when we averaging something like 8 ypc for those 3 or so drives he was in. Glad TQM came back in with a fire to win though. Can't teach that.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
In 2017, the average team allowed 14.3 yards per point. If this was to translate to todays game, we would have the following:

USF-426 yards ->29.8 expected points. Defense points allowed: 35. So 5 points of underperformance

GT->602 yards ->42 expected points. Offense points scored: 38. So 4 points of underperformance.

Fact is that both sides of the ball underperformed roughly the same. Its easy to pin it on the D as USF made better adjustments in the second half, but when you look at just yards, it doesn't paint a complete picture. ST definitely cost us a game (thats like what, the 8th time in 3 years?)

Through turnovers, UCF had 11 yards of offense in vain (2%)
GT had 56 (9%) At the end of the day, the defense only allowed 1TD on 5 real drives in the first half, and that should have kept the offense in the game. Both teams scored the same number of TDs on offense. Granted, has USF had two more drives instead of ST-free TDs, this might be a different story.

Everyone has their frustrations when TQM came back in, but he's the starter for a reason. I didn't like expanding the playbook when he was in when we averaging something like 8 ypc for those 3 or so drives he was in. Glad TQM came back in with a fire to win though. Can't teach that.

I am completely numb from the last several years of trying to discern which side of the ball is the "least worst". Seriously. We have gone through this exercise countless times. When you lose consistently, does it really matter which side of the ball did relatively better than the norm.

I do however remain flabbergasted at Coach Johnson...must of the truly great coaches understood that special teams can win or lose games just as much as the other units. Sometimes, the old adages are true for a reason.

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
I guess I'm the only idiot here that saw the huge holes in the middle of the defense all afternoon. We had no chance of stopping them. No adjustments. That's what is really upsetting.

I guarantee you that PJ isn't behind closed doors saying it's premature.

There are not a lot of kids out there that are capable of doing what we are asking them to do. When Alabama and Georgia run a similar style of defense, we aren't getting the pick of the litter!
Not to mention they have to qualify to get accepted.

Everyone is so fast to say " fire Paul Johnson "!
I admit I get frustrated with him as well, but after taking a step back and looking at the big picture, he is still a very good HC.

Playing devils advocate, he did make a mistake in the DC hire. This style will not work here. He is in over his head. Being at App State and GT aren't the same.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I guess I'm the only idiot here that saw the huge holes in the middle of the defense all afternoon. We had no chance of stopping them. No adjustments. That's what is really upsetting.

There are not a lot of kids out there that are capable of doing what we are asking them to do. When Alabama and Georgia run a similar style of defense, we aren't getting the pick of the litter!

I admit I get frustrated with him as well, but after taking a step back and looking at the big picture, he is still a very good HC.

Playing devils advocate, he did make a mistake in the DC hire. This style will not work here. He is in over his head. Being at App State and GT aren't the same.

No, this idiot saw it too. They overrespected the pass, in my opinion. That left room underneath for the QB to run. I think after Tariq got tossed, CNW felt we were too thin to adjust and cheat the middle. Just a guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt E

GT Athlete

(3-4)

Groh ran a 2 gap system. Nate Woody doesn’t. The players may line up the same, but they are different. It is true in order to run an effective 2 gap you need guys like UGA and Bama are recruiting, but that isn’t the case for what NW is doing.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

(3-4)

He’s teaching guys a new system that is COMPLETELY different than what these guys have been learning for years. Also go back and watch the game, this wasn’t guys getting man handled, this was guys being out of place and abandoning their assignments from what I saw. That is something that will change with time, but they need time to do so. It’s not going to change overnight when learning to do something so different from what you’re use to? They must learn to go hard but break down and no keep their assignments, don’t try to be the hero. The biggest thing I would look for now is if our guys are getting man handled or if they are holding their own. Over pursuing/breaking down, and keeping your assignments is a lot easier to fix than getting man handled.

Two games with holdovers from Roof's consistently inept defenses, and you call Woody a mistake ??? GIVE ME A BREAK !!! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

He’s teaching guys a new system that is COMPLETELY different than what these guys have been learning for years. Also go back and watch the game, this wasn’t guys getting man handled, this was guys being out of place and abandoning their assignments from what I saw. That is something that will change with time, but they need time to do so. It’s not going to change overnight when learning to do something so different from what you’re use to? They must learn to go hard but break down and no keep their assignments, don’t try to be the hero. The biggest thing I would look for now is if our guys are getting man handled or if they are holding their own. Over pursuing/breaking down, and keeping your assignments is a lot easier to fix than getting man handled.
And just as they were never able to do under Roof, they still can't wrap up a tackle, and, in some cases, even come close to making a tackle. It takes time to unlearn bad habits.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Hey Ted, wish you the best, maybe it wasn't you !!

No. It was. Its our second game. 2 starters kicked out. Totally new back 4. I bet, unless total wheels fall off this team and everyone gives in, you will see improvement and a solid d squad. However i am worried about the wheels coming off this team way too quick

Cpj seems to have somehow created a mentally weak program that folds in the end

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
Groh ran a 2 gap system. Nate Woody doesn’t. The players may line up the same, but they are different. It is true in order to run an effective 2 gap you need guys like UGA and Bama are recruiting, but that isn’t the case for what NW is doing.
I understand the difference, but you obviously don't understand that when the gaps move with zone blocking and our personnel can't get into the assigned gap it becomes a two gap scheme. We call that gap integrity, which wasn't kept.