Defense

Texwood

Jolly Good Fellow
From what I've seen, we are primarily running a 1-gap 4-3 system that stunts a whole bunch under Woody. The fact that one of those 4 is called a LB is kind of irrelevant in terms of scheme. There was definitely confusion today wrt to gap integrity. That needs to be cleaned up.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Getting mad handled can be a result of scheme, why did we not get man handled today, yet most of last year we did?

Who man handled us last year? Clemson and the mutts. We weren’t the only teams they man handled btw. They didn’t man handle us with scheme...it was talent pure and simple.

Can schemes lead to blowouts? Absolutely. But being man handled is another animal.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Change happens all the time in sports. Teams adapt and adjust all the time. To say that it takes time to learn a new system is not true. Now if you had stated its going to take time to get the right personnel, that could be true to a point. I would then agree with you. We don't have the personnel to do what we are asking them to do. Most likely won't ever have them.
We will just agree to disagree then. No problem.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
From what I've seen, we are primarily running a 1-gap 4-3 system that stunts a whole bunch under Woody. The fact that one of those 4 is called a LB is kind of irrelevant in terms of scheme. There was definitely confusion today wrt to gap integrity. That needs to be cleaned up.

I don’t see many 4-3s spread their DTs out like we are this year.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Who man handled us last year? Clemson and the mutts. We weren’t the only teams they man handled btw. They didn’t man handle us with scheme...it was talent pure and simple.

Can schemes lead to blowouts? Absolutely. But being man handled is another animal.
UT 2nd half, Duke, Virginia......

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
Come now. It obviously takes some time to learn a new scheme to the point of being proficient with it. New assignments, new fits, new language, new signals. Getting proficient ain’t reasonably gonna happen week one.

Next year I expect the guys to be more proficient with all of the above. Heck I expect continued improvement all year.

Is it easier to blame these things instead of talent / ability? Certainly. But there is a bit of a learning curve here.
The reason he was hired was for the simplicity of the scheme. He has had a spring practice, summer, and a pre season period to teach the scheme. If they can't learn it in 5-6 months, a GT man isn't going to ever learn it. These guys train year round.

Last time I will say it... NW is in over his head. He has always had better athletes than the other team. He will never have better athletes here. He has to be the better coach. Scheme, communication, work ethic, and game plan.

The reason he was hired was for the simplicity of the scheme. He has had a spring practice, summer, and a pre season period to teach the scheme. If they can't learn it in 5-6 months, a GT man isn't going to ever learn it. These guys train year round.

Last time I will say it... NW is in over his head. He has always had better athletes than the other team. He will never have better athletes here. He has to be the better coach. Scheme, communication, work ethic, and game plan.
Have you ever learned, or re-learned, something almost in totality in a 6 month period? I sure haven't.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
UT 2nd half, Duke, Virginia......

I think you are conflating poor play with being physically man handled. Apples and oranges.

When the Miami receiveee caught that 4th down throw did he man handle anyone? Did our front 7 get pancaked that play. I don’t think so....but yes they converted the play to get the W.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I think you are conflating poor play with being physically man handled. Apples and oranges.

When the Miami receiveee caught that 4th down throw did he man handle anyone? Did our front 7 get pancaked that play. I don’t think so....but yes they converted the play to get the W.
Our DL was being blown off the ball and LB’s getting blocked at the second level. That’s what I’m talking about.

Texwood

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t see many 4-3s spread their DTs out like we are this year.

It's definitely different from a 4-3 with DT's in the 1 and 3 techniques. Our nose is usually at the 1, with both DE's in a 5. The LB on the LOS is in a 7 or 9. It's still clearly a 1-gap 4-3 scheme that stunts a whole bunch. Today there were several occasions where it was clear that everyone wasn't on the same page on the stunt calls. To be honest, this shouldn't be terribly surprising. I just hope the staff can get it cleaned up...

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Our DL was being blown off the ball and LB’s getting blocked at the second level. That’s what I’m talking about.

Look, I have nevee said our front 7 last year was very good. I’m still not. But they got man handled less last year, particularly at the los, than in prior years.

The big fan gripes I remember from last year, as always were....in no particular order...
-playing with too much cushion
-missing tackles
-taking bad angles
-playing out of position
-not blitzing enough
-not disguising blitzes

Bottom line is our front 7 hasn’t been and still isn’t great. I think it’s getting better.

edit: I think we have more of a difference in semantics than anything. Imo...getting man handled is when I put my hands on you and move you where I want you with little to no resistance.

I think our wheels on D is our biggest weakness...not quite as much size and strength

Last edited:

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I would like to coach our defense I would play the 8-5-8 we could stop the run or passing unless they go to the,Tight end, then will would need to be in the 7-7-7

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if Brant is a really good practice player, but for some reason it doesn’t translate to the game? You hear about guys who aren’t that great in practice but in games are better. At this point I’d put the higher upside guys in, unless others at the time are just WAY better. You might have more bigger plays against you, but you might also create more bigger plays.