Defense

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I have set here quietly. Listening to everyone on the new Defensive Coordinator band wagon. This was not the debut you wanted.
Acorn State doesn't count.

The only thought I had was at the end of the game was "Well this sucked!"

Al Groh all over again. GT can't get the type of kid to be good at this style of defense.
(3-4)

Not trying to get anyone upset or mad, but it was very obvious that this isn't going to work out or end well.

Actually I think KCH showed he might be able to do what is necessary at NT.

Our biggest weakness is we don’t have a pure pass rush threat on the team. If we want to get pressure on the QB we have no single player we can rely on. Woody will have to get very creative.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I guess I'm the only idiot here that saw the huge holes in the middle of the defense all afternoon. We had no chance of stopping them. No adjustments. That's what is really upsetting.

I guarantee you that PJ isn't behind closed doors saying it's premature.

There are not a lot of kids out there that are capable of doing what we are asking them to do. When Alabama and Georgia run a similar style of defense, we aren't getting the pick of the litter!
Not to mention they have to qualify to get accepted.

Everyone is so fast to say " fire Paul Johnson "!
I admit I get frustrated with him as well, but after taking a step back and looking at the big picture, he is still a very good HC.

Playing devils advocate, he did make a mistake in the DC hire. This style will not work here. He is in over his head. Being at App State and GT aren't the same.

I think it’s very possible he had more talent at App State than we have had here the last few years.

Our biggest weakness is we don’t have a pure pass rush threat on the team. If we want to get pressure on the QB we have no single player we can rely on. Woody will have to get very creative.
We DID apply pressure like we haven't seen in years, but even with 3 guys right on top of the QB on one play, he still managed to get away, as he did on many other plays.

Matt E

GT Athlete
I understand the difference, but you obviously don't understand that when the gaps move with zone blocking and our personnel can't get into the assigned gap it becomes a two gap scheme. We call that gap integrity, which wasn't kept.

I understand that aspect just fine. I’ll just leave it at the fact that the systems are in fact different. You mentioned woody being Groh 2.0.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
So you can look at the way our D has played the past 5+ years and tell me our players know how to wrap up and tackle ???

And who's fault is that ... coaching or recruiting or the boogey man ?
Maybe it's how we practice maybe it's because we have recruiting issue's with this offense ...
CTR was a LB for us ... I think he knew how to wrap-up ... remember the Black watch Defense.

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow

The problem is we can't stop the run. Defending the pass will be much easier once people have to throw the ball. When an offense can do whatever they want whenever they want, it's almost impossible to stop them.

And who's fault is that ... coaching or recruiting or the boogey man ?
Maybe it's how we practice maybe it's because we have recruiting issue's with this offense ...
CTR was a LB for us ... I think he knew how to wrap-up ... remember the Black watch Defense.
I was a computer programmer for 30+ years, but I sure can't keep up with the computer programmers of today, and my experience means squat when it comes to teaching others how to do it. So you have no point.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The problem is we can't stop the run. Defending the pass will be much easier once people have to throw the ball. When an offense can do whatever they want whenever they want, it's almost impossible to stop them.

We stop the run better than most other phases imo. QB scrambles though....ok if you are classifying that as their run game I’ll concede we failed today.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
C'mon Supersize ... that's pretty weak, I learned to wrap-up and tackle in HS !!
Well there is a poster on this site that played for GT and said the technique taught by Roof wasn’t that great. But let’s go beyond that, read my post from above, post # 11. We got mad handled when Roof was DC at time, something that was not the issue today. Plus you are going off 2 games in a completely different system. You said you learned to wrap up in HS, so you have some knowledge of football, you should know to expect results to change drastically for a new system is unreasonable.

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
I think it’s very possible he had more talent at App State than we have had here the last few years.
Absolutely!!!
It's not very hard to get kids accepted at APP State. This isn't meant to be a slap in the face, but it is a fact that they can get almost anyone they want.

They definitely have some better players than we do.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Well there is a poster on this site that played for GT and said the technique taught by Roof wasn’t that great. But let’s go beyond that, read my post from above, post # 11. We got mad handled when Roof was DC at time, something that was not the issue today. Plus you are going off 2 games in a completely different system. You said you learned to wrap up in HS, so you have some knowledge of football, you should know to expect results to change drastically for a new system is unreasonable.

Getting man handled on the field is a talent issue more than a technique or coaching issue. Unless you are referring to recruiting as the coaching issue.

I don’t think we got manhandled at all today. We did get outplayed.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
Change happens all the time in sports. Teams adapt and adjust all the time. To say that it takes time to learn a new system is not true. Now if you had stated its going to take time to get the right personnel, that could be true to a point. I would then agree with you. We don't have the personnel to do what we are asking them to do. Most likely won't ever have them.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer

IMO, The system has no effect on how you learn how to wrap-up when you tackle ... do you remember the old Oklahoma drill from HS ??

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Getting man handled on the field is a talent issue more than a technique or coaching issue. Unless you are referring to recruiting as the coaching issue.

I don’t think we got manhandled at all today. We did get outplayed.
Getting mad handled can be a result of scheme, why did we not get man handled today, yet most of last year we did?

Super ... I don't agree, IMO old school experience means everything ... but I respect your opinion and need to chill out.
I can tell you as a FACT, that my skills and experience are of no use whatsoever in the computer world today. Regardless, the point I was making is that just because you excel on something personally doesn't mean that you can impart that ability to others. And it was blatantly obvious that Roof couldn't and didn't.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Change happens all the time in sports. Teams adapt and adjust all the time. To say that it takes time to learn a new system is not true. Now if you had stated its going to take time to get the right personnel, that could be true to a point. I would then agree with you. We don't have the personnel to do what we are asking them to do. Most likely won't ever have them.

Come now. It obviously takes some time to learn a new scheme to the point of being proficient with it. New assignments, new fits, new language, new signals. Getting proficient ain’t reasonably gonna happen week one.

Next year I expect the guys to be more proficient with all of the above. Heck I expect continued improvement all year.

Is it easier to blame these things instead of talent / ability? Certainly. But there is a bit of a learning curve here.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
IMO, The system has no effect on how you learn how to wrap-up when you tackle ... do you remember the old Oklahoma drill from HS ??
Did you read my first comment? Anyways, that’s not my point. I’m saying, the guys were not braking down and they were over pursuing which does cause tackling issues.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I can tell you as a FACT, that my skills and experience are of no use whatsoever in the computer world today. Regardless, the point I was making is that just because you excel on something personally doesn't mean that you can impart that ability to others. And it was blatantly obvious that Roof couldn't and didn't.

Agree ... a good player does not always make a good coach, but I will always be a CTR fan as a person !!