Defense

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
I will say that i was very disappointed with BM’s performance, i don’t recall his name called out once for any big plays. We are going to see this offense over and over again this season, with better and faster QB’s....def better get used to it.

Sitting At the game, it looked like every QB run there was not a single person in the middle of the field, I’m talking 15-20 yards of no one around, so I need to watch the game from a wider perspective (TV). I just didn’t understand where LBs were at. BM is super slow and can’t tackle to save his life, so for PJ to say he’s had an awesowm camp, let’s me know it’s because he’s going against our own slow players.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The OP is correct in my opinion. We generally cannot get the type of nose tackles that a bammer or someone else can get for a 3-4, and without one of those, being aggressive is dangerous, but oh well. I know it is early, but talent, more than ANYTHING else, matters on the D-side of the ball.

I’ve had my doubts about our NT spot this year. But did everyone already forget KCH’s performance Saturday? Was he hotvgarbage other than the negative plays he made?

Two positives from Saturday from things I was worried about. NT had a goood game. TM threw the ball well.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I never said one thing about playing favorites. My question was if Brant might be a better practice player but it doesn’t translate to the game.

I think he’s been in the system long enough with both practices and game time for our coaches to know what he is / what he brings.

It’s not like he’s a Tarzan looking true freshman that looks amazing in shells but disappears once the full pads go on in camp.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I think he’s been in the system long enough with both practices and game time for our coaches to know what he is / what he brings.

It’s not like he’s a Tarzan looking true freshman that looks amazing in shells but disappears once the full pads go on in camp.
Can you explain all the hype about him in practice but the lack of production on the field?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Can you explain all the hype about him in practice but the lack of production on the field?

What was the hype? That he was having a good camp? Did I miss the hype proclaiming him the next Mike Singletary?

It was one game. Certainly not his best. I’m not expecting him to play like Singletary next week but it’s quite possible he will play better than down in Tampa.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
What was the hype? That he was having a good camp? Did I miss the hype proclaiming him the next Mike Singletary?

It was one game. Certainly not his best. I’m not expecting him to play like Singletary next week but it’s quite possible he will play better than down in Tampa.
We’ve heard about him all camp but that has not translated to to the game for 2 games now. I’m not saying he won’t get better, I was simply asking a simple question.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We’ve heard about him all camp but that has not translated to to the game for 2 games now. I’m not saying he won’t get better, I was simply asking a simple question.

Did I not provide a simple answer?

Is it more a situation where some, maybe you, read too much into the “hype”? What does, he’s having a good camp even mean? Players noted those things also and cited him as a leader.

I also remember once upon a time when a young man named Days was proclaimed our next great DT in camp......only to fade into obscurity.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
I would love to talk with ‘ol Coach Nate Woody to see what he thinks about his defensive team’s disastrous performance in Tampa yesterday.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Did I not provide a simple answer?

Is it more a situation where some, maybe you, read too much into the “hype”? What does, he’s having a good camp even mean? Players noted those things also and cited him as a leader.

I also remember once upon a time when a young man named Days was proclaimed our next great DT in camp......only to fade into obscurity.
You didn’t answer my question though, CPJ said he’s had a really good camp, however he hasn’t had a good 2 games. You have not answered why he has not had 2 good games, nor have you answered if it’s a possibility for him to be a good practice player but that doesn’t translate to on field play. Remember Hunt-days? This is all speculation of course, but so are your comments, isn’t that what a message board is about? I’m asking questions because it’s a possibility, you are making statements as if they are facts but showing no proof, therefore it’s just an opinion like mine. No big deal though, we obviously see it differently.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
in my opinion, FB coaches in general are the worst at sticking with the "good in practice" first stringers. I have personally seen too many guys in games and sports that I competed in who could look good in a scrimmage, practice, pickup game or a practice round (golf). But who for whatever reason, performed at a much lower level whenever there were uniforms, crowds, referees or umpires, playing the ball down, etc. If I am a coach, I would trust the game tape. Or, perhaps, be more like a baseball coach. They recognize that even the best of all time have bad days at the office and will yank the pitcher if he is not getting it done that particular day. I do think the pace of play in FB and evaluating 11 guys vs. 1 makes in the heat of the battle decisions much tougher than they would be on a baseball diamond. But there are guys who do wilt under the lights. Not calling anyone out as I don't have enough info to determine what did/did not happen yesterday at the individual level.

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
The odd part is the guys on defense were highly rated for the most part. Either that or they beat out a highly rated teammate for their job. I believe Campbell, bonds, askew, swilling and carpenter in the secondary were all 4 stars by some sites....

BJS and vic Alexander were very highly rated.

The line is different but st Amour was a high 3 star and highly recruited. We also have a top 300 player on the bench with the kid from IMG.

Its not like the offensive side of the ball where CPJ turns 2 stars into road graders.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I never said one thing about playing favorites. My question was if Brant might be a better practice player but it doesn’t translate to the game.

Are you basing this question (is this really even an honest question? Your posts here lead me to believe it’s a supposition instead) and are you basing this question off the first two games this year or his whole career?

I’ll ask again, what hype? The only hype I recall was statements that he’s had a good camp. In order to provide the answer you seem to be demanding I think you need to stipulate what other hype existed or at least how you expected him to play and why.

See above.

You didn’t answer my question though, CPJ said he’s had a really good camp, however he hasn’t had a good 2 games. You have not answered why he has not had 2 good games, nor have you answered if it’s a possibility for him to be a good practice player but that doesn’t translate to on field play. Remember Hunt-days? This is all speculation of course, but so are your comments, isn’t that what a message board is about? I’m asking questions because it’s a possibility, you are making statements as if they are facts but showing no proof, therefore it’s just an opinion like mine. No big deal though, we obviously see it differently.

I don’t think you understand the difference between a question and a supposition. If you want to make suppositions I think it’s incumbent upon you to state them yourself and explain your beliefs and why you are uncertain in them.

Yes I remember Hunt-Days.....I referenced him earlier already.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Are you basing this question (is this really even an honest question? Your posts here lead me to believe it’s a supposition instead) and are you basing this question off the first two games this year or his whole career?

I’ll ask again, what hype? The only hype I recall was statements that he’s had a good camp. In order to provide the answer you seem to be demanding I think you need to stipulate what other hype existed or at least how you expected him to play and why.

See above.

I don’t think you understand the difference between a question and a supposition. If you want to make suppositions I think it’s incumbent upon you to state them yourself and explain your beliefs and why you are uncertain in them.

Yes I remember Hunt-Days.....I referenced him earlier already.
Here’s basically how I see it, when I say “hype” maybe that’s not the right word. But when I hear a guy has had a really good camp, yet it isn’t being translated on the field against teams that aren’t world beaters I wonder if he’s a better practice player compared to game player, and I think that’s a reasonable thought. I will say this probably goes to him as a whole from what I’ve seen in prior years though. The bigest thing to me is, my question of is it possible that he could be a better practice player than game player seems reasonable. If it didn’t come across as a question my apologies.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
The problem is we can't stop the run. Defending the pass will be much easier once people have to throw the ball. When an offense can do whatever they want whenever they want, it's almost impossible to stop them.

yep, the MOST we avgd on run defense for a yr in last SEVEN yrs was 172--yesterday 220? haven't really recruited good or enough DLs for yrs--and haven't this yr either so far--but we do have 18! DBs including the 3 commits

ctcjb

Georgia Tech Fan
From the AJC article. I hope it is repeated next year:

"Woody and the Mountaineers lifted off for good in 2015. Players he recruited for his defense were taking the field. The depth that he worked so hard to develop was paying dividends. After coming to Appalachian State with a scheme that Brown described as “bend but don’t break,” his adaption to a more aggressive style in collaboration with his staff took shape."

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Actually I think KCH showed he might be able to do what is necessary at NT.

Our biggest weakness is we don’t have a pure pass rush threat on the team. If we want to get pressure on the QB we have no single player we can rely on. Woody will have to get very creative.
Actually, I think we do have one. It's just a matter of finding him. I think that'll happen sooner or later, but I hope it's sooner.