Defense

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Not to seem combative, really. But exactly what are you saying? If the recruits are "big time" are you saying their hands-off D is on Roof? (I think it is, but many don't, and the problem with hiring a grad legend is having to fire the grad legend. Besides, I think the next D coach hire ought to be done by an outside consultant, head-hunter firm. Johnson is terrible at it.)

He hasn't ever been able to pay the guys he wants. See Charles Kelly, who FSU fans despised for the same reasons y'all hate Roof....oh wait...they don't seem to hate him anymore....it's amazing what some studs on the front 7 can do to make a coach look good.

Jmonty71

Banned
I just ask for the D to be consistent and disciplined. Too many mental errors and technique issues from good players.

Austins poor angle and arm tackle
Simmons not making a play in the endzone
Steph getting torched and not looking back.
Hold on a screen pass

Just be disciplined at minimum.
And..... Who is responsible for teaching that? Their mom? Nope. It's the DC and his staff. Either it wasn't taught or the players just do whatever they want. Steph's Int penalty was avoidable. Truly it was. Just was a scenario that must not be taught. Given, UT got away with a INT play, themselves.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
It all comes down to this question...

When UT recovered Green's fumble at like their own 12 or so yard line, did anybody actually believe our D was gonna keep them out of the end zone??? My answer is HELLtotheNO. The only question I had when they started their drive was will there be enough time left on the clock for us to have a chance.

At this point, we all know Roof's Bend But Don't Break Scheme or as I like to call it the Waiting For The Other Team To Screw Up Scheme.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't know for sure if we had stud DT's if it would make all of the difference we need, but I do know with the guys we have, we are not going to be able to stop P5 offenses unless they stop themselves. If you want to fire Roof, then so be it, but there is not a DC in the world that can overcome a huge talent gap in the front 7, in my opinion.

FYI - UT's P5 defense could not stop us either. We only stopped ourselves with fumbles/penalty after the first 2 possessions of the game.

Jmonty71

Banned
Rotation is the coaches fault. Jalen johnson. Adams. Its all on roof.

Ted roof will never be able to get us to the nex level. Because when the going gets tough he gets into weak arse calls
100% agree... If there was a higher number, I'd put it down. I have said this, for some time now. CTR's scheme is outdated. He uses nothing past 1985, in his plays. I said it once, I'll say it again. He runs a scheme that was built to go up against a west coast offense. Since then, teams have developed offenses and made them more physical or more aggressive. What I saw was conditioning issues, poor playing calling, poor tackling, poor angle reads and poor schemes, all 2nd half. CTR was aggressive in the first. Mixing up stuff. Yet, in the 2nd. It seems we went into a more "prevent" defense. Even only rushing 3 DL, at times. I literally was scratching my head. I know UT made some adjustments. CTR has yet to learn how to make an in game adjustment. His adjustments come at half time. and that's it... I know it was the first game. Other than turn the ball over, the offense did everything right. In the 2nd half, the D did almost everything wrong. That is on Roof and his poor, non aggressive, scared to lose mentality.

Jmonty71

Banned
It all comes down to this question...

When UT recovered Green's fumble at like their own 12 or so yard line, did anybody actually believe our D was gonna keep them out of the end zone??? My answer is HELLtotheNO. The only question I had when they started their drive was will there be enough time left on the clock for us to have a chance.

At this point, we all know Roof's Bend But Don't Break Scheme or as I like to call it the Waiting For The Other Team To Screw Up Scheme.
Yep... Pretty much. We beg for a turnover. UT didn't oblige. We lost, because our D could not force them to punt or turn it over on downs. End of story.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
1st Half we rushed 4 and got pressure and we played great coverage. 2nd half Ted got cute and brought 5 or 6 and we we're getting beat deep. I think his style changed in 2nd half when we had a lead he wanted to force a TO that would seal it. Ted's 1st half defense is what we need to play all year.

We made some plays in the first half but most of the stops came from errant passes and dropped passes. The QB settled in and the TN receivers started winning the contested catches. As the game went on we played worse and worse on D, as if we tired (even though CPJ says not tired). Tackling really got worse in the last 9 minutes of the game and OT.

56JacketDE

GT Athlete
I was surprised we stuck to rushing 3 or 4 most of the 2nd half, we didnt bring that pressure from i remember. We did a decent job of collapsing the pocket with or base rush, simmons even got to their QB early wit ha 3 man rush, but I was hoping we would make something happen on defense in the 2nd half....

i saw a few times they were firing (i think it was the) Mike LB up in the A gap but he was picked up everytime

Im guessing Ted wanted to drop 7 or 8 to prevent the big play and make more traffic to throw into, hoping for a pick

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I thought the D played pretty well and that their performance was what kept us in the game early on. By the 4th both Ds were gassed. That's more a matter of game conditioning then anything else. If we play the same game 3 or 4 games in, this doesn't show up and things would be quite different.

The game reminded me a lot of our game with Pitt last year. The D played pretty well in that as well and Pitt won because of a well defended play that ended in a tipped ball that went straight into the arms of the Pitt TE. On their long TD reception, the play was well defensed and their WR got free. This happens and will happen again. Still, the breaks went their way.

I said before the season that an average D would enable us to win most games. That's what we had last night: P5 average D. Not great, but not anywhere near as bad as last year at this stage. And, sure enough, we lost by 1 (one) point. Improvement will continue.

Jmonty71

Banned
We ALL saw the embarrassment that the D put out in the 2nd half. How much longer, as fan, do we endure this? At what point does it take to realize the CTR is not the answer? I am really frustrated that the basics.. Just the basics are not taught. Or at least seem to be not taught.. How does Bama win? They run the basics VERY well. Sound tackling. Not some glory hound, trying to make a big hit. We fail to do the little things. It shows on the field. No pre snap movement to confuse a young QB. No disguise in blitz schemes. No pass rush, whatsoever.

Using FEI ratings... Where does GT ever score in the top 30? Heck top 50, lately... Yet, people love CTR. Why??? I seriously need to understand this. Why?? We lose thought, in that we support a team and not a man. Yeah... he's a Tech man. I hear... Way too much. But, he's a Tech man, should not be an excuse.

I am curious stat wise, we we are after the 5th week. My guess, we'll be bottom dwellers, once again. Hovering in the 80s. Just a shame. It really is.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I failed to mention seeing something last night I hadn't seen since Gotsis left.

I looked at the field during the 2nd quarter and - lo and behold! - the UT OC had called for his OL to double up a Tech DT! It was Branch, of course, who was having zero trouble with the UT OL until they started ganging up on him. Not bad for a first start at a new position. I look forward to seeing him develop as the season progresses.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Learning to wrap up and not arm tackle isn't a talent issue, and we were doing that even in the first half when fatigue wasn't an excuse. Tech isn't a place that can get away with weak fundamentals because we just aren't going to be bigger or stronger than the other guys. I'm not going to personally blast any of the athletes here but lots of the guys missing tackles were upperclassmen and there really isn't an excuse for it. Some coach failed them in some way to let them get to that point in their career and not have the basics down.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Learning to wrap up and not arm tackle isn't a talent issue, and we were doing that even in the first half when fatigue wasn't an excuse. Tech isn't a place that can get away with weak fundamentals because we just aren't going to be bigger or stronger than the other guys. I'm not going to personally blast any of the athletes here but lots of the guys missing tackles were upperclassmen and there really isn't an excuse for it. Some coach failed them in some way to let them get to that point in their career and not have the basics down.
There were some bad angles taken, too. One in particular, by a veteran, gave up a td.