Defense

Jmonty71

Banned
We've been wondering about QBs and backs. It seems the defense hasn't had much discussion. So here goes.

Defense. Will we be better? I'm guessing we'll still run a 4-3 that looks more like a nickel. Any word on the improvements on pass rushing? Which areas will be our strong points. Which will be our weakness? Just curious to see if CTR has made some improvements.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
Hoping against hope that we don't run the "seven seconds to pass or five seconds if we blitz" defense.

Just please run different blitz schemes. We seem to run the same blitz over and over. We did the double A-gap blitz with Lbs in one game last year i think I counted 7 or 8 times..same blitz....in one game.

Jmonty71

Banned
Just please run different blitz schemes. We seem to run the same blitz over and over. We did the double A-gap blitz with Lbs in one game last year i think I counted 7 or 8 times..same blitz....in one game.
The issue with the A gap blitz is that our LB ran up our DL's butt. Its like they didn't even look for a gap. It was like watching some backyard play. CTR needs to teach on how to create those gaps.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The issue with the A gap blitz is that our LB ran up our DL's butt. Its like they didn't even look for a gap. It was like watching some backyard play. CTR needs to teach on how to create those gaps.
If Adams and Branch are in, there is no A gap.
I watched the first half of 2013 uga game and we were way more agressive and coordinated with blitz. The Dt would curl and open a gap for the lb blitz . Sometimes the DE would rush in side and lb would take the end. The db were flying around and frequently had tight m to m coverage.

Hope we can get to know the punters name.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Depth I think worries me more in the front 7. Would be nicer to rotate guys in and out but faster paced teams will tire us and push us around if we let them gain momentum. Hopefully conditioning is really good.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
I have noticed repeatedly that whenever we have a blitzer they like to blitz themselves directly into the only available blocker. It's exasperating.

Jmonty71

Banned
I have noticed repeatedly that whenever we have a blitzer they like to blitz themselves directly into the only available blocker. It's exasperating.
Plus, we need to disguise the blitz. We telegraphed our blitz so much last year, Stevie Wonder could see it coming.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I think DB play will be about the same, DE play will be better, LB play will be better from top to bottom, although we might not have a PJ type LB, and DT has the potential to be better but I'm still a little worried.

I don't think Roof has any concept of disguising the coverage or the blitzes.
Roof hasn't had the best talent to work with. He is just now able to go out and get what we call real players. He's had to play sooo many players out of their natural positions up until this year. I am sure wreckrod and many others on this board could coach up and call a Div 1 college football game much better than a professional coach. He will put up or shut this year and next. I am willing to give him a chance and hope for the best.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Roof hasn't had the best talent to work with. He is just now able to go out and get what we call real players. He's had to play sooo many players out of their natural positions up until this year. I am sure wreckrod and many others on this board could coach up and call a Div 1 college football game much better than a professional coach. He will put up or shut this year and next. I am willing to give him a chance and hope for the best.
I still don't think our talent on D is in the 90's.

Jmonty71

Banned
I am also one of "those people" that think we can coach better than CTR. LOL. I hear the same thing about talent. I hear he is bringing in good players. But, then I hear the talent excuse again.

Which leads to the question. How long do you wait? How many seasons should it take to build a team? He is on year 5, right? Shouldn't that been enough time?

And...... This year I will try my best to not go into the "fire Ted Roof". At least not until 2 or 3 games into the season. No promises though. I am hopeful that he'll have his stuff together, this year.
Even if you feel that he should be fired, just hold off on saying it, because it won't happen mid-season, no matter how bad it might get. If the D is as bad as in the past, it's probably going to stay bad all season. If that's the case, at the end of the season then we will probably all be calling for Roof's head.

Jmonty71

Banned
Even if you feel that he should be fired, just hold off on saying it, because it won't happen mid-season, no matter how bad it might get. If the D is as bad as in the past, it's probably going to stay bad all season. If that's the case, at the end of the season then we will probably all be calling for Roof's head.
I figure this will be the year he will need to shine. If he does not, I don't expect to see him, come next season. However; i5am hopeful that he will let the Jackets out and let them play. I just want to see less conservative play calling. For gosh sakes, stop giving the WRs a 15 yard cushion, on a 3rd and 5 play. Saw that crap too many times.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
When you don't have any D lineman that can force a double team, it makes covering very, very difficult, and if all of their blockers can focus on 1 or less guys, it means they have a much better chance to pick up the blitzing LB's or safety. You guys just cannot fully understand that a D coordinator cannot run some type of gimmick defense to overcome the lack of talent and size.

If Roof suddenly starts taking more chances, and we get burned, I hope you guys will be happy. I don't think so, though. I think whoever the D-coordinator is, that he will be in the doghouse forever with many of you, until we get a few high end DL's. I'm sorry guys, but I just don't see us having top 40 D-linemen right now, and maybe not for a while.

Enough ranting. If having a coach's head that loves the Institute makes everyone happy, then so be it.