Defense

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Vance walker and Darryl Richards both got drafted. Walker had a nice career.

CPJ first year we had a line of Richards, Vance walker, derrick Morgan, Michael Johnson and Morgan Burnett at center fielder...Still wondering why we weren't more dominant on defense.

Didnt have tenuta. Walker and richard were lightly used in 06 and not at all in 05.

That 2008 defensive line was once every 50 years at Tech. Not great dc work that year either

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Vance walker and Darryl Richards both got drafted. Walker had a nice career.

CPJ first year we had a line of Richards, Vance walker, derrick Morgan, Michael Johnson and Morgan Burnett at center fielder...Still wondering why we weren't more dominant on defense.
To reinforce my point though, that was our best defensive year under CPJ. Generally speaking, we weren't pushed around on the interior. Sometimes offenses ran right at Michael Johnson because he was a little light in the pants, but he could get after the passer.

I am also one of "those people" that think we can coach better than CTR. LOL. I hear the same thing about talent. I hear he is bringing in good players. But, then I hear the talent excuse again.

Which leads to the question. How long do you wait? How many seasons should it take to build a team? He is on year 5, right? Shouldn't that been enough time?
In Roof's first three years at Tech he had 3-4 players, 4-3 players, he lost 3 starting DL in one year. He lost at the beginning of the season when he had no chance to recover. He had a HC that seemed to care less about defense and used them more as scape goats. Everyone seems to forget the offense was blessed at the beginning to have two studs at key positions. That enable the offense to run as well as it did. To a lot on this board loyalty must mean little. Ted is a Tech legend and damn good coach. Support or go away. 10 years and I'm still waiting on us to be able to complete more than 10 passes a game in an era when passing is easy for everyone else except us. How long should that take? It is what it is.

Jmonty71

Banned
In Roof's first three years at Tech he had 3-4 players, 4-3 players, he lost 3 starting DL in one year. He lost at the beginning of the season when he had no chance to recover. He had a HC that seemed to care less about defense and used them more as scape goats. Everyone seems to forget the offense was blessed at the beginning to have two studs at key positions. That enable the offense to run as well as it did. To a lot on this board loyalty must mean little. Ted is a Tech legend and damn good coach. Support or go away. 10 years and I'm still waiting on us to be able to complete more than 10 passes a game in an era when passing is easy for everyone else except us. How long should that take? It is what it is.
Whatever dude. Just because he played at Tech does not make him perfect. Go worship his feet and let us discuss like normal folks.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Yep, UT's offense must be really bad because we can't, couldn't possibly have a clue about what we're doing on defense:rolleyes:.

Jmonty71

Banned
So far, I like what I see on the D. Been mixing it up. Far better than what we saw last year. It also helps that our ball hogging offense is chewing the clock up. But, they are making very good reads and solid tackles. So happy, right now.

Jmonty71

Banned
Tough loss....one less turnover and we win this game. The wheels aren't coming off. This will be a very good football team.
Very tough. I see our D being ranked in the 80 to 90 range, this year. Just did not see much of anything, in the 2nd half. We got beat....plain and simple. They imposed their will on us. We may....may hit the 70s. Got a fairly ok schedule to assist.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Tough loss....one less turnover and we win this game. The wheels aren't coming off. This will be a very good football team.
I agree but improvement in all phases of special teams and on defense is a must. I don't want to rain on anyone's party but other than Kelly, and the wide receivers this is not that great a Tennessee team. One good enough to take advantage of the usual poor defense, special teams miscues and turnovers. As for Tech, well, we definitely do not have a quarterback controversy anymore, Benson is the real deal, the offensive line is good and will get better. We will see but incremental improvement is a must to be competitive with the likes of Miami, Virginia Tech, Clemson, UGA.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Defense is very taxing. Even though the O held the ball, our D was dog tired in the 4th qtr and OT. I think it's because we don't have the depth to rotate players like the factories. How many different players get game reps on D for Bama and Clemson with no drop off in production?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I just ask for the D to be consistent and disciplined. Too many mental errors and technique issues from good players.

Austins poor angle and arm tackle
Simmons not making a play in the endzone
Steph getting torched and not looking back.
Hold on a screen pass

Just be disciplined at minimum.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Defense is very taxing. Even though the O held the ball, our D was dog tired in the 4th qtr and OT. I think it's because we don't have the depth to rotate players like the factories. How many different players get game reps on D for Bama and Clemson with no drop off in production?

LOL UT ran 59 plays including OT. Many of the plays were after our O held the ball for 6 or 7 min of game time. By comparison, IU ran 95 plays against tOSU. Our D faced only 28 plays in the first half

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
LOL UT ran 59 plays including OT. Many of the plays were after our O held the ball for 6 or 7 min of game time. By comparison, IU ran 95 plays against tOSU. Our D faced only 28 plays in the first half
I know, but if you don't rotate guys in, all it takes is one long drive to kill your wind. They seemed to lose more than that, though. They seemed to lose confidence and that's the worst part.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I know, but if you don't rotate guys in, all it takes is one long drive to kill your wind. They seemed to lose more than that, though. They seemed to lose confidence and that's the worst part.

Rotation is the coaches fault. Jalen johnson. Adams. Its all on roof.

Ted roof will never be able to get us to the nex level. Because when the going gets tough he gets into weak arse calls

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Rotation is the coaches fault. Jalen johnson. Adams. Its all on roof.

Ted roof will never be able to get us to the nex level. Because when the going gets tough he gets into weak arse calls
Don't bring up Jalen. The only time I heard his name called he allowed a 3rd down conversion near the goal line on a drive that ended up scoring. His guy caught a pass infront of the line to gain and should have been held short. Besides, you can't rotate if your drop off is so great that it's worse than playing tired guys.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Don't bring up Jalen. The only time I heard his name called he allowed a 3rd down conversion near the goal line on a drive that ended up scoring. His guy caught a pass infront of the line to gain and should have been held short. Besides, you can't rotate if your drop off is so great that it's worse than playing tired guys.

Tired again lol. Listen to pauls presser. No one was tired dude. Please