Defense

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
True.... I can deal with turnovers with those type of numbers lol. Although the turnovers did hurt.
The 2 turnovers cost 21 points if you count the -7 we were sure to score on the second one. That's a lot to overcome, but we could have done it if we could kick worth a damn. And we could have overcome that if we could have executed a block or an easy pitch on the final play. I don't want to put it on TQ, though, he did way more than enough to win us the game.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
We crapped this game away.
O lost two fumbles
ST missed 2 FGs and gave up big yds on KO ret
D shat the bed in the second half especially.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Not sure exactly why but we have never had a really good defense under CPJ. It has to go deeper than just TR. We just don't seem to have any big play guys on the D especially on the DL. At some point someone has to beat somebody and make a play. They did at the end and we didn't.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Defense played good enough to win us the game. Offense fumbled the ball away. Great game, tough loss. Back at it Saturday.
not sure how you arrived at that conclusion. Fumbles, yep. And as usual they killed us. But again, now seemingly for the 10th year, the offense chews up real estate, chews up the clock, scores, and in two minutes the defense allows the opponent to run the field to get it back. TOP means diddly in that case. Whether they were tired or not I don't care, but with the game on the line they have to suck it up and play, and "tired" is a copout. (And I still can't figure why we worry about a tired defense when it was the offense that was out there so long and churned out almost 700 yards. I would think the O line was worn out.) The game discourages me but the offensive play encourages me. The defense, well. Let's think about it tomorrow.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Not sure exactly why but we have never had a really good defense under CPJ. It has to go deeper than just TR. We just don't seem to have any big play guys on the D especially on the DL. At some point someone has to beat somebody and make a play. They did at the end and we didn't.
No sacks all night. Was there even pressure on the QB?

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
not sure how you arrived at that conclusion. Fumbles, yep. And as usual they killed us. But again, now seemingly for the 10th year, the offense chews up real estate, chews up the clock, scores, and in two minutes the defense allows the opponent to run the field to get it back. TOP means diddly in that case. Whether they were tired or not I don't care, but with the game on the line they have to suck it up and play, and "tired" is a copout. (And I still can't figure why we worry about a tired defense when it was the offense that was out there so long and churned out almost 700 yards. I would think the O line was worn out.) The game discourages me but the offensive play encourages me. The defense, well. Let's think about it tomorrow.
Defense got the stop we needed while we we're up 28-21. We coughed up the football and UT marched down and scored. Should've closed out and won 35-21. Pick one : Good Recruiting Below-Average Defense or Bad Recruiting Bad Defense. Roof has been the only coach able to land big time recruits while under Johnson. If we continue to have 0 sacks in a game that we blitzed a ton then it's not just the scheme.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Defense got the stop we needed while we we're up 28-21. We coughed up the football and UT marched down and scored. Should've closed out and won 35-21. Pick one : Good Recruiting Below-Average Defense or Bad Recruiting Bad Defense. Roof has been the only coach able to land big time recruits while under Johnson. If we continue to have 0 sacks in a game that we blitzed a ton then it's not just the scheme.
Not to seem combative, really. But exactly what are you saying? If the recruits are "big time" are you saying their hands-off D is on Roof? (I think it is, but many don't, and the problem with hiring a grad legend is having to fire the grad legend. Besides, I think the next D coach hire ought to be done by an outside consultant, head-hunter firm. Johnson is terrible at it.)

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Not to seem combative, really. But exactly what are you saying? If the recruits are "big time" are you saying their hands-off D is on Roof? (I think it is, but many don't, and the problem with hiring a grad legend is having to fire the grad legend. Besides, I think the next D coach hire ought to be done by an outside consultant, head-hunter firm. Johnson is terrible at it.)
1st Half we rushed 4 and got pressure and we played great coverage. 2nd half Ted got cute and brought 5 or 6 and we we're getting beat deep. I think his style changed in 2nd half when we had a lead he wanted to force a TO that would seal it. Ted's 1st half defense is what we need to play all year.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Did anyone else think that trash can thing was high schoolish. The chain thing at Miami really looks dumb. Where did they get that chain? From Mr. T?