Defense

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
They were often peeking in the backfield, failing to set the edge, and getting run right by. They weren't getting into the backfield much. DE was my biggest concern pre-season and remains so. Our best DT is quick but undersized but I think succeeds regardless. Our other DTs are even more one dimensional in other regards.

Our front 4 can't get it done, no matter which 4 you choose. We will have to be very creative with blitzes and I agree with those that say screw the big plays we give up. Be agressive till it kills us. Then re-evaluate again. What we are currently doing is killing us anyway. I believe being more agressive honestly will have a similar result to what we have seen thus far but what the hell. It's worth a shot.
It's hard to see it being any easier to score on us if we were wide open aggressive.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It is frustrating sometimes watching our 170-200 lb. a backs and qb run in open space, but not with the ball secure. These D's with big, fast athletes know how to do the football punch shots, and we will have more of these fumbles if our guys cannot either use 2 hands or secure the ball with 3-point contact under their arms. I loved Taquan's performance last night, but I thought many times he was holding the ball in an unsecure manner.
He does have kind of a funky, non-track running style. That left arm is flailing away to help him keep his balance (I guess) and maybe costs him some burst speed. But I'll take him for sure.

Jmonty71

Banned
You must not watch much football then. A large number of teams run nickel as their base now with the explosion of spread offenses. Running a 4-3 or 3-4 out against an offense that's HUNH with 3-4 receivers wide every snap is just asking to get rolled.
I do. Most teams that run a 4-3 have a beast of a run stopper as MLB and 2 OLB (Mike and Sam) that can be versatile. They need to blitz, cover and stop the outside runs. It really depends on the offense you are going against. Yes, if you have a fun and gun type offense, then the nickle is great. However; we run the nickle against teams with only 2 WRs.

Now, maybe its a personnel issue? Do we have that bruising MLB? I don't think so. Do we have those OLB's that can be versatile? I am not even sure about that. Heck, at this point.. I just want 2-3 consistent LBs. And consistently out of position or consistently missing tackles. I mean, consistently good at what they do. I think we got better over the last few years. However; there is room to improve.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
The funny thing is that Roof's strategy of "Bend but don't break" might have actually saved us in the second half if it worked. We could have still got the win if we forced UT to dink and dunk their way up the field and eat the clock. Instead we got killed with a 50 yard passe, 30 yard run and a 90+ yard drive where they averaged over 10 yards per play.

Jmonty71

Banned
OK... Let's ask the question, this way...

If you just got appointed as the new DC.....what would be the first thing you would fix? I know there is a ton of areas... But, what do you think the biggest area of concern is?

I'll go first. Go out and get some friggin hog mollies to clog up the middle of the LOS. I think that is where a lot of the issues start. No immediate pressure right into the QB's face. Also, forcing teams to run sideways... Not forward.

I would really love to hear others...

Jmonty71

Banned
The funny thing is that Roof's strategy of "Bend but don't break" might have actually saved us in the second half if it worked. We could have still got the win if we forced UT to dink and dunk their way up the field and eat the clock. Instead we got killed with a 50 yard passe, 30 yard run and a 90+ yard drive where they averaged over 10 yards per play.
Ironic is it not??

stech81

Helluva Engineer

If you just got appointed as the new DC.....what would be the first thing you would fix? I know there is a ton of areas... But, what do you think the biggest area of concern is?

I'll go first. Go out and get some friggin hog mollies to clog up the middle of the LOS. I think that is where a lot of the issues start. No immediate pressure right into the QB's face. Also, forcing teams to run sideways... Not forward.

Teach the LB's not to telegraph a blitz before the snap.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Well it stinks because he's bend but don't brake D didn't save us at all lol.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Here's a question for you, and I don't pretend to know. A lifetime friend who has remained so despite matriculating at Georgia Tech, and who enjoys Georgia Tech football but is not a born again with it, had this theory when I pondered it with him a couple of years ago. Maybe, he said, Georgia Tech is not the place for and doesn't attract those man-eating and fire-breathing beasts who dismantle offenses. In short, it is the culture of the institution and not that of the head ball coach in play here. I don't know, but I found it interesting anyway, and it was the best he could do.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

You know of course the easiest thing in the world to do is to recruit hog mollies with talent on and off the field. Who wouldn't love to have 4-5 300lb plus agile. athletic pro grade DTs to rotate????

A lot of what you say about CTR I agree with you but to think that Tech or most other P5 programs can simply recruit the most rare of collegiate players is just silly. I don't are who he D/C is.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer

I would go out and recruit better players than all the other schools for every position. I am thinking that would improve my odds. Hope no one else thinks about it.

herb

Helluva Engineer
Here's a question for you, and I don't pretend to know. A lifetime friend who has remained so despite matriculating at Georgia Tech, and who enjoys Georgia Tech football but is not a born again with it, had this theory when I pondered it with him a couple of years ago. Maybe, he said, Georgia Tech is not the place for and doesn't attract those man-eating and fire-breathing beasts who dismantle offenses. In short, it is the culture of the institution and not that of the head ball coach in play here. I don't know, but I found it interesting anyway, and it was the best he could do.

there are probably a couple of reasons, one is that there are not that many good ones to begin with and apparently the going price for them back in 2000 was $200,000.00. See Albert Means.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The D got two stops out of 5 possessions in the second half. How many times have we said we could win if our D would only get 1-2 stops a game?

UT changed tempo in the second half and our guys struggled to adjust to it. Some, but not all, of the blame goes to CTR.

Ultimately, we didn't lose this game because of late defensive collapses. We lost this game because we lacked the ability to put the game out of reach.

Our kick-off & field goal kicking is at dumpster fire level. The missed field goals and two fumble are why we lost this game. The jury is still out on how good UT actually is, but I watched us destroy their D with a new QB and a new BB and our best AB on the bench. I also watched the D being maligned in this thread hold UT to 96 yards in the first half and get two key stops in the second half. I think we saw improvement last night. Yes, they relapsed in the late second half, but we played 2 1/2 good quarters last night. That's something to build on.