Defense

Jmonty71

Banned
Learning to wrap up and not arm tackle isn't a talent issue, and we were doing that even in the first half when fatigue wasn't an excuse. Tech isn't a place that can get away with weak fundamentals because we just aren't going to be bigger or stronger than the other guys. I'm not going to personally blast any of the athletes here but lots of the guys missing tackles were upperclassmen and there really isn't an excuse for it. Some coach failed them in some way to let them get to that point in their career and not have the basics down.
Not wrapping up is a coaching issue. For instance.. Clemson and Bama. They perform the basic task of wrapping up. Seldom do you see a player just fly in with a shoulder. CTR hasn't taught the basics in 5 years.. I doubt he'll start any time soon. I foresee seeing the same, in the future.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Not wrapping up is a coaching issue. For instance.. Clemson and Bama. They perform the basic task of wrapping up. Seldom do you see a player just fly in with a shoulder. CTR hasn't taught the basics in 5 years.. I doubt he'll start any time soon. I foresee seeing the same, in the future.
:rolleyes:

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Oh. What i wouldnt do to see the ole cover 3 about 75 percent of the time with a rush 5 zone front 7 scheme.

Who is with me?

Anyone want to get the ole garbage cans out and practice gap assignments on our blitz schemes and stunts? Vs try to play the OL head up?

Anyone know how to count to 3 you numskull

Please. Tell me we can do that. Can we live with that, it wasnt perfect. But it was waaaaaay better than what we have now.

ctcjb

Georgia Tech Fan
How many did we consistently rotate on the DL? I would love to see us use an 8 man rotation (even if there is a slight drop off). Other schools do it....and not just Alabama and Clemson. A four man rotation at DE and DT will keep guys fresher for both end of game, but more importantly, end of drive situations.

Side question....did we play too much nickel? To me, when we are in nickel we should be more aggressive, pressed up on receivers and in our base 4-3, be more willing to settle into a zone......but, what do I know

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Not to seem combative, really. But exactly what are you saying? If the recruits are "big time" are you saying their hands-off D is on Roof? (I think it is, but many don't, and the problem with hiring a grad legend is having to fire the grad legend. Besides, I think the next D coach hire ought to be done by an outside consultant, head-hunter firm. Johnson is terrible at it.)

I think it's on Roof, but I also don't think most of our recruits on defense are "big time".

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Vols with a brand new starting QB and our D couldn't even manage 1 sack all night. Sure 18 minutes time of possession but dude dropped back 40 times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
I think it's on Roof, but I also don't think most of our recruits on defense are "big time".
We are not asking for Bama, just give us something that's respectable most games. After the Green fumble, there was ZERO doubt in my mind they were going to score and tie the game. I'd just like to have a D, that I have some confidence in during crunch time. I haven't had that confidence since probably Tenuta.

Jmonty71

Banned
How many did we consistently rotate on the DL? I would love to see us use an 8 man rotation (even if there is a slight drop off). Other schools do it....and not just Alabama and Clemson. A four man rotation at DE and DT will keep guys fresher for both end of game, but more importantly, end of drive situations.

Side question....did we play too much nickel? To me, when we are in nickel we should be more aggressive, pressed up on receivers and in our base 4-3, be more willing to settle into a zone......but, what do I know
Nickel is a base defense for us. Which is sad...

Jmonty71

Banned
We are not asking for Bama, just give us something that's respectable most games. After the Green fumble, there was ZERO doubt in my mind they were going to score and tie the game. I'd just like to have a D, that I have some confidence in during crunch time. I haven't had that confidence since probably Tenuta.
I had the same feeling. It's really sad, that we know these things are going to happen. We all know the players are doing their best. However; usually a paint is only has good as the brush being used. In essence, if the players don't have the right tools and coaching, it will show on the field. And....it does.. Time after time. So, you are not alone in the suffering... I have 0 faith in Roof and his outdated schemes.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We made some plays in the first half but most of the stops came from errant passes and dropped passes. The QB settled in and the TN receivers started winning the contested catches. As the game went on we played worse and worse on D, as if we tired (even though CPJ says not tired). Tackling really got worse in the last 9 minutes of the game and OT.

I don't see how the D could have gotten gassed. I can see how their butts may have overly constricted....possibly causing blood loss to their brains? Lots of bad assignments and poor angles.

Scheme, play calling, adjustments, recruiting, toughness....I don't know which is lacking most or if just an all of the above...but we ain't getting enough from our D and haven't for some time.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I thought Simmons was supposed to be a beast off the edge? Frenchie? KeShun? Where were our DE's?

They were often peeking in the backfield, failing to set the edge, and getting run right by. They weren't getting into the backfield much. DE was my biggest concern pre-season and remains so. Our best DT is quick but undersized but I think succeeds regardless. Our other DTs are even more one dimensional in other regards.

Our front 4 can't get it done, no matter which 4 you choose. We will have to be very creative with blitzes and I agree with those that say screw the big plays we give up. Be agressive till it kills us. Then re-evaluate again. What we are currently doing is killing us anyway. I believe being more agressive honestly will have a similar result to what we have seen thus far but what the hell. It's worth a shot.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
It all comes down to this question...

When UT recovered Green's fumble at like their own 12 or so yard line, did anybody actually believe our D was gonna keep them out of the end zone??? My answer is HELLtotheNO. The only question I had when they started their drive was will there be enough time left on the clock for us to have a chance.

I had the exact same thought and immediately looked at the clock.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
It is frustrating sometimes watching our 170-200 lb. a backs and qb run in open space, but not with the ball secure. These D's with big, fast athletes know how to do the football punch shots, and we will have more of these fumbles if our guys cannot either use 2 hands or secure the ball with 3-point contact under their arms. I loved Taquan's performance last night, but I thought many times he was holding the ball in an unsecure manner.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Can anyone tell if Kyle Cerge-Henderson was injured that badly? Did he come back in the game after he went down?

ctcjb

Georgia Tech Fan
You must not watch much football then. A large number of teams run nickel as their base now with the explosion of spread offenses. Running a 4-3 or 3-4 out against an offense that's HUNH with 3-4 receivers wide every snap is just asking to get rolled.

I agree with you on the nickel D. My only issue with it is that if you are going to play nickel, you should be good at pass coverage. If you play nickel and still can't cover, then what?

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Look at the 2007 roster. The defense was loaded. There are still guys in the NFL from that roster.
I've always wanted to see what a Tenuta defense would do paired with a Paul Johnson offense...it seems like those two systems would play off each other perfectly. I hated watching our defensive players get demoralized when they'd make a huge stop or turnover, then have a Pat Nix offense give it right back with a quick 3 and out. Of course, now we're kind of getting the opposite. Whoops.