Defense

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
One weak position group shouldn't put you in the 90's in D though. You're saying that position drops us over 40 spots.

There is a reason sa(t)an wants big nasties more than anything else. There are fewer of them (huge guys with motors), and he learned from Belichik a long time ago, having a 300+ lb. guy that takes 2-3 blockers to control is the key to letting your DE's, LB's, and safeties go unblocked for huge TFL's.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am not sure how much I agree with the notion that we have been strong enough on the interior of our defense as evidenced by the movement of a few of our players into the NFL. Gotsis was probably the most successful and recent player to do so. However, we have to realize that he was a project when he got here and slowly developed to the point of making a sizable contribution. When he did reach his pinnacle as a college DL, he was the only guy we had at that level. Then he proceeded to get chucked from a game (we went on to lose a big lead) because of a targeting call and then later blew out his knee. The point I am trying to make is that we really didn't reap all the rewards possible from having an NFL type player.

For the most part, the interior of our DL has gotten handled physically for some years running now. It is really hard to build a solid defense in that scenario. If you gave me two picks to have whoever I wanted to start my defense, my first pick would be the 1 tech and the second would be the 3 tech. From there, I figure I can find people who will give me enough at the rest of the positions. When you own that 12 foot wide piece of turf centered on the football it is like controlling the center of the chessboard.

Having said all that, I think we have a chance to be more physical and quick this year on the DL. I will stop short of predicting such and prefer to see tonights game and watch the recording later. Hopefully Adams is ready to play more downs because he is a player that gets honest to goodness "push" if nothing else and he has the body you want to start with if you want to be tough to block. Branch might be more of a force in passing downs from the inside. That would be a huge help. You will be surprised how much better DEs look when OLs have to respect the interior as well in pass pro. I am encouraged by CPJ's comments regarding Frenchy. If that is true, we could be looking at a much improved situation. This needs to be the year that KCH makes a jump. I'll just leave it at that.

I expect UT to run right at us and makes us prove we can stop them without adding numbers. We should know rather quickly whether it will be more of the same this year or we have grown into a disruptive unit. If UT cannot sustain drives with the run (without us adding numbers to the box) it has the chance to be a good year on defense.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
If you folks want to wait on a great interior DL at tech and then a great D as a result good luck. You will die waiting

Some of tenutas best Ds the interior starters were anoai and elris anyaibe. Yes. Elris anyaibe. Joe anoai was also a project @Boomergump. He was a slight DE that grew into a DT. And a good one. But he was not better than gotsis. And anyiabe was not better than gamble or shawn green.

Folks. Enough with the narrative. The 2005 and 2006 ds were stout as hell and no nfl dl. Two nfl lbs. and iirc only 1 nfl db for a year

This is a bit ridiculous the excuses we make for roof and blame the dl. Is he a great recruiter? Its year 5. Then if we have a talent issue he cant be that great a recruiter.

For me right now. Everything i have seen suggests to me our talent isnt superior (when has it been?) but its far better than the roof product so far.

Lets see this year

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I am not sure how much I agree with the notion that we have been strong enough on the interior of our defense as evidenced by the movement of a few of our players into the NFL. Gotsis was probably the most successful and recent player to do so. However, we have to realize that he was a project when he got here and slowly developed to the point of making a sizable contribution. When he did reach his pinnacle as a college DL, he was the only guy we had at that level. Then he proceeded to get chucked from a game (we went on to lose a big lead) because of a targeting call and then later blew out his knee. The point I am trying to make is that we really didn't reap all the rewards possible from having an NFL type player.

For the most part, the interior of our DL has gotten handled physically for some years running now. It is really hard to build a solid defense in that scenario. If you gave me two picks to have whoever I wanted to start my defense, my first pick would be the 1 tech and the second would be the 3 tech. From there, I figure I can find people who will give me enough at the rest of the positions. When you own that 12 foot wide piece of turf centered on the football it is like controlling the center of the chessboard.

Having said all that, I think we have a chance to be more physical and quick this year on the DL. I will stop short of predicting such and prefer to see tonights game and watch the recording later. Hopefully Adams is ready to play more downs because he is a player that gets honest to goodness "push" if nothing else and he has the body you want to start with if you want to be tough to block. Branch might be more of a force in passing downs from the inside. That would be a huge help. You will be surprised how much better DEs look when OLs have to respect the interior as well in pass pro. I am encouraged by CPJ's comments regarding Frenchy. If that is true, we could be looking at a much improved situation. This needs to be the year that KCH makes a jump. I'll just leave it at that.

I expect UT to run right at us and makes us prove we can stop them without adding numbers. We should know rather quickly whether it will be more of the same this year or we have grown into a disruptive unit. If UT cannot sustain drives with the run (without us adding numbers to the box) it has the chance to be a good year on defense.

They should do what UGA did so many times under MR run the ball right at us and use play action passing. I am not at all confident that we can stop that simple game plan even today.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
If you folks want to wait on a great interior DL at tech and then a great D as a result good luck. You will die waiting

Some of tenutas best Ds the interior starters were anoai and elris anyaibe. Yes. Elris anyaibe. Joe anoai was also a project @Boomergump. He was a slight DE that grew into a DT. And a good one. But he was not better than gotsis. And anyiabe was not better than gamble or shawn green.

Folks. Enough with the narrative. The 2005 and 2006 ds were stout as hell and no nfl dl. Two nfl lbs. and iirc only 1 nfl db for a year

This is a bit ridiculous the excuses we make for roof and blame the dl. Is he a great recruiter? Its year 5. Then if we have a talent issue he cant be that great a recruiter.

For me right now. Everything i have seen suggests to me our talent isnt superior (when has it been?) but its far better than the roof product so far.

Lets see this year

I have been willing to give Coach Roof the benefit of the doubt for so long but 33 is right. We are not creative in our blitzes and our line is forever being pushed around. For this year, I am from Missouri "show me".

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Lets see this year
I hear you. Any of us could make the argument for a more aggressive and attacking style of defense. Tenuta's defenses were, on average statistically speaking, better than any during the CPJ era. We did have our shortcomings however, and got exposed a few times by good quick decision makers at the QB position.

The way I look at it is this: We have Roof now. I am glad to have him. Perhaps he can go further in the way of risk taking. Either way, we can't afford to continue to be pushed around on the interior and expect to be good. Some of the guys you mentioned were indeed projects, but at least they were really quick and tough.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I hear you. Any of us could make the argument for a more aggressive and attacking style of defense. Tenuta's defenses were, on average statistically speaking, better than any during the CPJ era. We did have our shortcomings however, and got exposed a few times by good quick decision makers at the QB position.

The way I look at it is this: We have Roof now. I am glad to have him. Perhaps he can go further in the way of risk taking. Either way, we can't afford to continue to be pushed around on the interior and expect to be good. Some of the guys you mentioned were indeed projects, but at least they were really quick and tough.

I am not emploring ted to blitz recklessly each down. But we can tighten backend alignments a bit and still not be overly aggressive and we have to be more inventive with how we blitz when we do. I think if we do those two things this d takes a step up.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck

Lets see this year

Vance walker and Darryl Richards both got drafted. Walker had a nice career.

CPJ first year we had a line of Richards, Vance walker, derrick Morgan, Michael Johnson and Morgan Burnett at center fielder...Still wondering why we weren't more dominant on defense.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
They should do what UGA did so many times under MR run the ball right at us and use play action passing. I am not at all confident that we can stop that simple game plan even today.

yep, if we could get 2 3 and outs a game at right times,we would have a good chance to win.But until I see better,I won't expect much.
Can we stop a Tenn drive for the win starting at their 30?.If given enough time,I doubt it at this point. Much less stop them outside our 30 to make a FG a bit harder.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
yep, if we could get 2 3 and outs a game at right times,we would have a good chance to win.But until I see better,I won't expect much.
Can we stop a Tenn drive for the win starting at their 30?.If given enough time,I doubt it at this point. Much less stop them outside our 30 to make a FG a bit harder.
I think the same could at this point be said for the Tennessee defense. I think GT's offense will carry them to a win over UT.